10k mile update - Pirelli Scorpion Trail II

R. Warshawsky

Disclaimer: I ride mostly commute (60%) and backroads (40%). I am not a hot shoe...

Just tuned 10k miles on the Scorpion Trail II tires. Attached are photos. Both front and back have worn at the same rate, measuring about 2.1 mm of tread wear. This is assuming the figures I found (total tread of 5.1 mm front and 9.1 mm rear) are correct. I normally wear out rear tires twice as fast as fronts, only thing I can figure is 1) my general flabbiness, and 2) the amount of weight the bike puts over the front end.

On the whole the tires have held up well. The "chicken strip" is starting to emerge on the rear, but there is plenty of tread left. Although touted as an "80/20" tire, I have ridden in the dirt and I do *not* recommend it. In this regard the stock tires seemed better. Maybe it is just problematic to ride a 500lb + street bike off road...

Tire grip, wet or dry, seems quite good and I have experienced no weirdness at lean angles, at least the way I ride. They are significantly quieter than the stock skins. Turning was quicker than stock, and the profile made descending radius turns much easier. Tar snakes are dramatically better.

There are a lot of good tires out there, and choice seems largely dependent upon one's riding style. Max, Mike and Tasha have found true sport tires to be the call, and I cannot quarrel with that. However, as a general riding tire, they seem to work well. YMMV.

Attachments

• IMG_20220928_193528008.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 48
  • IMG_20220928_193515415.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 44