17" wheels!

TenRacing

I had this posted on the Indian forums in the FTR section but without asking if I wanted to be a 'vendor' they deleted the post.

SO here we go! I have established a connection with Titax Wheels and they are ready to start building 17" wheels for the FTR!

3.5 front and 5.5 rear, ETA is August, so I am trying to get my initial group buy set up.

These wheels will be ready to mount with the bearings, spacers, and sprocket carrier and set up for the OEM brake discs.

REAR SPROCKET OPTIONS
The sprocket is the same as Marchesini or BST are using.

You can use the following sprockets.
CHIARAVALLI:
2067 520 chain
2094 525 chain
2105 530 chain

AFAM 520 chain: 93622
RENTHAL 520 chain: 397U-520-36P-HA
VORTEX 520 chain: 840 AZK
Or the alternatives in 525 and 530 as well.

Dimensions:
Inside diameter: 76mm
Pitch circle diameter: 100mm
5 holes for the screws size M10

They use SKF bearings - the same as used on MOTO 2 bikes.
Stainless hardware

Wheels are powder coated standard colors...
Gloss Black, Matte Black, Silver,
Translucent colors, Blue, Gold, and Red

There are options but would prefer to keep the initial order to standard colors and options
Options include, ceramic bearings, Titanium hardware, or custom colors.

Now the down n dirty,
Retail for a set is $1895.
I am going to offer the first 6-10 buyers that can pre pay, special pricing and free ship to Lower 48 USA.

interested parties can contact me at [email protected]
1 BLUE TRANSPARENT Rear.jpeg1.1.RED TRANSPARENT Rear on the bike 1.jpegGoldT & BlackGlossy.jpeg

Last edited:

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
Can it come with a sprocket?

As those sprokets seem a little hard to source in the states.

Have they already made a set for the FTR for testing?

Ed Fox

Have they mounted a prototype to a FTR yet? If so, can they send photos? I have done some morphing of modern sport bike wheels to older bikes in the past.
There are a few issues involved when going from a 19" front and 18" rear to a 17" front and back.
1.This will lower the bike to the ground. Some ground clearance issues are hard to correct.
2. Gearing, it would be nice to end up with the same gearing. this would mean changing the back sprocket to a 43 tooth. this is a drop of 6 teeth from the stock 49 tooth sprocket on the wheel. this is based on a 160/55/17 or a 180/55/17 (don't know if a 180 would fit) you could use a 45 tooth wheel sprocket
3. how will it effect the traction control and ABS now that he front and back wheel with
the same circumference?

I would be very interested in thease wheels if I knew the abs and traction control still worked properly with the 17" wheels.

Last edited:

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
It 100% works with abs/tc, there are a few others running different 17s on the frt

the kickstand needs to be modified, and you need to lower the front fender,

the front forks can be slid down the triple to gain a little height back, and you can use a 55 or 60 rear tire to gain a little height back.

Ed Fox

Going to an aspect ratio of 60 or 70 it definitely limites the field of good rubber but if you go with a 160/55/17 you can get a
Michelin Power GP! :p

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
wheels are designed to run a 180.

And up to a 200 fits inside the swing arm. some one has done that as well with a custom wheel

Ed Fox

It 100% works with abs/tc, there are a few others running different 17s on the frt

the kickstand needs to be modified, and you need to lower the front fender,

the front forks can be slid down the triple to gain a little height back, and you can use a 55 or 60 rear tire to gain a little height back.

do you have any photos of an FTR with 17s on it?

TenRacing

Have they mounted a prototype to a FTR yet? If so, can they send photos? I have done some morphing of modern sport bike wheels to older bikes in the past.
There are a few issues involved when going from a 19" front and 18" rear to a 17" front and back.
1.This will lower the bike to the ground. Some ground clearance issues are hard to correct.
2. Gearing, it would be nice to end up with the same gearing. this would mean changing the back sprocket to a 43 tooth. this is a drop of 6 teeth from the stock 49 tooth sprocket on the wheel. this is based on a 160/55/17 or a 180/55/17 (don't know if a 180 would fit) you could use a 45 tooth wheel sprocket
3. how will it effect the traction control and ABS now that he front and back wheel with
the same circumference?

I would be very interested in thease wheels if I knew the abs and traction control still worked properly with the 17" wheels.

They are going to finalize fit and test fit should have photos soon.
1. difference in OD of the tires is minimal, some adjustment will need to be made I'm thinking lowering the forks in the trees a bit should help the front end. The difference between the DIameter of a 180/60 17 rear verses the 150/80 18 is negligible
2. negligible difference int he OD of the rear wheel.
3. should have no affect on electronics, those are based on radial movement of the wheel, not the circumference.

TenRacing

the 180/60 series rear is what I used for comparison to the stock wheel, and I believe will be the best fit, larger will tend to crown over too much, and these bikes don't need that extra rotating mass.

mark.lb

I posted this statement in a previous thread but no one commented on it:

“I have also seen posts on this forum about changing wheel sizes and using tire sizes other than the 150/70-18 inch rear and 120/70-19 inch front that come stock. This may be problematic. The IMU and it’s location on the motorcycle has been calibrated to the stock wheel and tire sizes and can be affected by changing either. Indian warns against this in the Help Center. Here is the statement: [Note that altering the mounting position of the IMU or changing wheel or tire size may result in an unsafe riding condition.] “

I am not an engineer so I don’t know how critical this is but Indian felt it necessary to make a recommendation against altering wheel and tire sizes or moving the IMU.

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
It’s a 180/60 or 55.
Go on the ftr1200owners instagram page. We have several pics of it.

TenRacing

Sorry for the slow replies gang. I am at the races this weekend, I've got emails and messages, i'll be assembling a list of buyers and be in touch next week.

TenRacing

SO i have a few buyers that have made the commitment to get the initial group buy going! Thanks.

I may have a couple more spots if anyone wants to get in on the pre buy special pricing.

thinking we will be doing sprockets on these initial orders for those that want, just to ease the ability to find them...

I am also working with a sprocket company to possibly offer these in steel, aluminum, and a hardened aluminum. in the future.

edgelett

I really wish I could. but currency conversion etc means I can only get one goodie for the FTR this year and I'm committed to an exhaust.
afraid it will be a while before I can get new wheels :(

tonix

So, IF im correct they make theese rims in czech republic? Does this meen i can buy them directly from them in any way? Since i live in european union it serms a bit stupid to ship them to USA and back?!