2019 vs 2022

Street Hawk

Good day! Not an owner of an FTR (yet...) but looking at a couple of 2019's for sale in my area.

Questions:
1) From reviews and videos I have seen that the fueling on the 2022 is smoother than the previous models, however one of the bikes I am looking at (both have the Akro's) has the Dynojet Tuner. Should that have cured most of the fueling issues I have heard of?
2) I see that I can mount the 17" wheels in the future should I think it worthwhile, but does mounting the 17" wheels on a previous model FTR affect the suspension set up greatly?

Thanks all.

Webby

Howdy! Good Question. I had not heard that the 22 fueling was better than 2019 but I bought a 22 and have wondered what all the hoopla was about as it seemed ok so that helps me. Suspension should not care what wheels you run as it's primarily forces: Spring, Damping & Friction. They could affect you bike geometry rake, trail, ride height which will affect handling which many confuse with suspension. For street riding I dont think you'll be able to tell the difference between 19" vs 17" wheel. If you gonna flat track it you will notice.

Max Kool

Oh yeah, you will notice the difference. A 17” front has less gyroscopic effect, and the bike will feel more flickable. @edgelett ?

Not nervous or anything, but still. One of the reasons the 22 has narrower bars.

edgelett

Oh yeah, you will notice the difference. A 17” front has less gyroscopic effect, and the bike will feel more flickable. @edgelett ?

Not nervous or anything, but still. One of the reasons the 22 has narrower bars.
you rang?

Copied and pasted from my post on FB comparing my husbands bone stock 2022 FTR to mine:

my 2019 FTR is pretty heavily modified but here's some observations on the differences between the two:
- those 17 inch wheels make a bike that is already flickable even more flickable. going through tight twisties (30-50 kph corners) was a breeze. I'll be looking at doing the wheel change down the track.
- I very much appreciated the difference the sato inner bar weights made to vibes through the bars on mine. my hands were tingly after an hour on his. we'll be installing those when his bar end mirrors arrive.
- the 2022 throttle is SOOOO smooth its nuts. but while it definitely still has heaps of getup and go, I think we'll get it tuned down the track to put a bit of mongrel back in it.
- when you're behaving on a brand new FTR, the fuel economy is actually decent.
- the 2022 clutch is quite lurchy when cold but great when warm. adjusting free play helped a little but I still stalled it in the driveway
- overall there are many things I really liked about the 2022 and think are improvements over the 2019. But the mods I've invested in on mine have made it suit my riding style and posture preference (bars and rearsets), and I'm quite in love with it. The fact the FTR us so customisable is one of its best features, our two bikes will be pretty different when they're done.

I should point out my aftermarket bars are lower and narrower too.

Street Hawk

Awesome, thanks for the detailed write up.
I ended up buying a 2019 S model as shown in a previous post of mine. I may buy the 17” wheels down the road just because I’m more used to that size of wheel from years of sport riding, but I’ll run these 18 and 19” wheels for the time and may just end up sticking with em!
Cheers

Blue1

17" wheels should really speed up the steering.

My Hayabusa as was set up was about fifty lbs heavier than the FTR, with clip-ons much narrower than the FTR 'bars, and it steered quicker than the FTR does.

A lot goes into steering quickness, like front end geometry, tire selection, etc., but I think most of the difference in this case is due to the reduced rotational inertia with the smaller diameter wheels.

I ride aggressive when appropriate (never track speeds) on the street, and the slightly slower steering to me is no big deal.

To me, part of the appeal of the FTR is appearance of a flat track-type hooligan bike, and the 18"/19" wheel combination contributes to that look.

FTR London

To me, part of the appeal of the FTR is appearance of a flat track-type hooligan bike, and the 18"/19" wheel combination contributes to that look.
Hallelujah!

Not sure why some on here and Indian itself actually, are on a mission to turn it into something so staid.

FTR London

With the Rally model and the new Championship ship edition (and plenty previous years models in showrooms), there's choice for everyone, whether you like the flat tracker look or a better handling FTR. Or a hybrid...
Yep Max...

IMG_20220521_133828011_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220521_133011240_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220521_133542437_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220521_133717818_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220521_135850078.jpg
IMG_20220521_133052721_HDR.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20220521_133627737_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220521_133627737_HDR.jpg
    264.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

johnybigarms

Hi guys,
The fuelling on the 2019 with Grand
National pipes was horrible when cold, ok when warm, with the dynojet tune made for those pipes was uploaded, the warm fuelling is perfect, but cold is still poor, better than the stock tune but still fluffy when cold, need to see engine temps of 65 degrees before she is truly running sweet, I have the 18 and 19 inch wheels with better road biased tyres and it handles brilliantly, much nicer than with the standard flat tracker style Dunlops, although I loved the look, they had a tendency to move a little, not great for confidence.