2019 vs 2022

FTR London

180 on the 22. 160 on the 19
I had the 160 Conti on too, but prefer the look of the treaded tyres which also allow off road excursions (some great unsealed roads and green lanes around these parts) and as a dual sport tyre, they're surprisingly capable on the road and only a centimetre narrower. The aggressive tread pattern makes up for it. I have a 190 on the R1 and didn't want to get greedy 🤣 . Also, it isn't the direction I wanted to take the FTR in at all. It does look brilliant with the 180 though.

Last edited:

FTR London

Mmmm no front guard and no chain guard. Amazing what you guys can get away with over there on road. There’s two rather large fines there for us Aussies. And a possible defect notice.
Mmmm, but I'm not in Australia so none of that applies does it? And actually, these petty arbitrary rules differ throughout the world. Unbelievably, it is still technically illegal in the UK to have a black visor on the road following a law passed in the 1980s.

EllenGtrGrl

Hmmm, I must be weird :) - I have no issues with my 2019. The handling is fine (especially for me as a back roads blaster). The fueling - I had maybe once or twice where it glitched out and stalled on me in the 2 years I've had it (and yes it has Indian's most recent fuel map for the 2019 models), and yes it's a little cold blooded on start up in the morning. I put the LCD display on engine temperature when it fire up the bike, and let the engine get up to 100F (38C) before I take off on it, and no stalling occurs. Oh yeah, and I wait for the engine temp get up to about 150-160F (65-70C) before I rev it hard. I've seen colder blooded motorcycle engines back in the day (the 80s), when we all had carbs, and they were leaned out to within an inch of their lives to meet emissions requirements.

I've toyed with putting on narrower bars, and different silencer cans, but I'm not rolling in the dough (especially since I'm in the process of getting major dental work [an implant - it'll be #3 for me] that will cost me some serious change, even though I have dental insurance), and oftentimes my work hours are long, leaving me with little energy/gumption to do mod work. As for the tires - not much offroading here, so I'd like to put more sport oriented tires on, but being a cheapskate, I'll wait to do so until the current stock tires need replacing. I'll probably stick with the 19 inch front wheel.

Last edited:

Breto

Mmmm, but I'm not in Australia so none of that applies does it? And actually, these petty arbitrary rules differ throughout the world. Unbelievably, it is still technically illegal in the UK to have a black visor on the road following a law passed in the 1980s.
Well obviously not in your country but I was just pointing out what you guys get away with that we don’t. And I ride with a dark visor all the time. Helps me with night blinding from headlights and they don’t star like clears do.

FTR London

Well obviously not in your country but I was just pointing out what you guys get away with that we don’t. And I ride with a dark visor all the time. Helps me with night blinding from headlights and they don’t star like clears do.
Well why mention it then? Still not sure what point you were making? I've removed the guards because I prefer the look and because I can. Also, by the same token, in Austrailia 'you get away' with things that we don't in the UK and likewise America.

When wearing a full face lid, I ride with a black visor all the time as well - (the clue's in the profile picture). You don't need to justify your reasons for doing so, I agree. I was simply giving you an example of a ridiculous law here that has never been repealed (although seldom enforced now).

Breto

Problem with text. Mmmm was interesting. And I can tell you we have some of the strictest road compliance laws here. They vary from state to state but we don’t get away with much here. And it’s usually when your pulled over then they go through you and your bike like a dose of salts.

FTR London

Problem with text. Mmmm was interesting. And I can tell you we have some of the strictest road compliance laws here. They vary from state to state but we don’t get away with much here. And it’s usually when your pulled over then they go through you and your bike like a dose of salts.
That brings back dreadful memories of the dark days (90s and 00s). Victimisation from jobsworths that would pursue you or pull you over simply because you were on a bike. I see why you are receptive to the conformance aspect. It wasn't unusual to get hauled in on a 'spot check' and fine that you rode away with a stack of endorsements and fines (undersize licence plate, race exhaust, black visor).

Do you have a point 'totting up' system on your licence in Oz?

Breto

In Queensland we get 12 points I think. I think they may have dropped it to ten. Not sure. But every infringement you get Carries a money and point value. And you only get those back on the anniversary of the fine after 3 years. So if you say get done for exceed by 10 not more than 15 it’s $186 and one point. And it rolls on from there. Exceed by more than 40, which most of us do on a regular outing and it’s kiss your license goodbye. And a hefty fine. Plus speed dangerous and anything else they pin you for. It can be challenging. There’s places to do it and places not to even think about it.

JPDuffy

Good day! Not an owner of an FTR (yet...) but looking at a couple of 2019's for sale in my area.

Questions:
1) From reviews and videos I have seen that the fueling on the 2022 is smoother than the previous models, however one of the bikes I am looking at (both have the Akro's) has the Dynojet Tuner. Should that have cured most of the fueling issues I have heard of?
2) I see that I can mount the 17" wheels in the future should I think it worthwhile, but does mounting the 17" wheels on a previous model FTR affect the suspension set up greatly?

Thanks all.
I have both. They are the same yet entirely different. The '22 is a streetable version of the OG. If you're researching wheels and such for the 19 like the new version get that one. It already has what your looking for. All in all, I love both. The tune is great for both and Go Loydz in any case. The bikes are MORE fun afterward. That being said. I love the 19 because you have to ride it. The 22 is a fantastic smoother version that I feel is a little more forgiving.

Attachments

• 20220602_080655.jpg
    20220602_080655.jpg
    8.1 MB · Views: 16

wallycycle

I would think the two primary differences will be aesthetics and flick ability, due the 19" front wheel. I haven't ridden a 2022 but all my other road bikes have 17" wheels and the FTR is noticeably slower on turn in. That doesn't keep me from loving the bike and enjoying the handling. Therefore, I would buy the bike which appeals to your eyes.