2022 base FTR baffle removal.... warning

Romerican

So the bike is way to quiet with stock exhaust. It sound like a moped instead of a 1200 v twin. And since Indian decided to weld everything up to the muffler, making it harder to remove the cat on the 2022 model, I figured I'd remove the baffles from the stock exhaust while I wait for a solution to not have to replace the whole exhaust system. Was easy enough on another bike and per the youtube video I watched for the 2019, it was just a matter of a hole saw bit and pull them out, I missed the part about needing the long grinding tool to remove the inner supports...

A 15 minute job, two hours later... i didn't realize indian has welded a brace inside the muffler to the baffles also, making it a way harder job to remove them.

It was a pain in the ass and luckily the end covers hides all the cutting and banging damage.

End result. It sound ridiculously better. I mean worth the work if your looking to save money. Though if I had known how much work it was, I'd probably just order an S&S.

Either way louder is a definite must have for this beast.

Last edited:

mark.lb

Obviously Indian does not want the stock exhaust modified or removed. Same it true for many other new bikes. Try to modify the exhaust on a KTM 1290 or Yamaha MT09.

I wish you would have taken a few pictures of this debacle!

Romerican

I don't think it was Indians decision since on the 19s you could simply unscrew and pull the cat converter off. Probably California or euro restrictions that made them do it.

There isn't much to picture. You need a 1 3/8" hole saw bit and use it to cut into the muffler around the tip.. or cut the tip off with a metal cutting wheel, drill small holes around the tip into the muffler, one large hole to fit a jigsaw blade and then jigsaw the tip out. Then you'll need a long sturdy file to get into the muffler to file down off brace that holds the baffle in. I didn't know I needed this file and just used a hammer instead.... lol The screw covers do a great job of covering up the damage.

Would have been easier if I knew exact tools I needed off the bat.

I can't express how much better it sounds now. Deeper and louder.

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
Some of the akra mufflers over in europe on the 2019s were the same way with the spot weld.

and you can thank euro 5

LukeJ38

I have a 2022 FTR S.removedthe baffles easy no welded bracket at all
Did you have to drill a hole in the 8 o'clock position and remove the bolt, or did you drill the rivets to remove the db killer? I want to remove my db killer, but didn't want to drill a hole in the exhaust and replace with a rubber grommet. Anyone know if you can buy the factory looking rivets?

Romerican

Did you have to drill a hole in the 8 o'clock position and remove the bolt, or did you drill the rivets to remove the db killer? I want to remove my db killer, but didn't want to drill a hole in the exhaust and replace with a rubber grommet. Anyone know if you can buy the factory looking rivets?
I believe you're asking about the Akrapovic exhaust that has needs the drilling at 8 o'clock. Only way I've seen it done on that exhaust.

LukeJ38

I believe you're asking about the Akrapovic exhaust that has needs the drilling at 8 o'clock. Only way I've seen it done on that exhaust.
Yes, you're correct about the Akrapovic exhaust. I did see a guy drill out the rivets and re-clock the end cap so you can remove the db killer without having to drill a 2nd hole. I didn't know if anyone has pictures or a video of this. Thanks for the response!

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
I completely missed where this was the BASE 2022.

the baffles have always been welded in those mufflers. It’s a bit of a pain to remove. But that was one of the first mods we were doing in 2019

Anton G

I don't think it was Indians decision since on the 19s you could simply unscrew and pull the cat converter off. Probably California or euro restrictions that made them do it.

There isn't much to picture. You need a 1 3/8" hole saw bit and use it to cut into the muffler around the tip.. or cut the tip off with a metal cutting wheel, drill small holes around the tip into the muffler, one large hole to fit a jigsaw blade and then jigsaw the tip out. Then you'll need a long sturdy file to get into the muffler to file down off brace that holds the baffle in. I didn't know I needed this file and just used a hammer instead.... lol The screw covers do a great job of covering up the damage.

Would have been easier if I knew exact tools I needed off the bat.

I can't express how much better it sounds now. Deeper and louder.
And just for California and Euro 5 I will remove the cat and put a loud ass pipe onto my new 2022 FTR. Tired of nanny state.

Max Kool

Even if it runs worse afterwards?

(finding a connecting pipe may be hard btw, the headers are oval where they meet the cat)

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
And just for California and Euro 5 I will remove the cat and put a loud ass pipe onto my new 2022 FTR. Tired of nanny state.
You cant unless you buy the toce full exhaust system, they are the only ones who have a system that deletes the cat for the 22.

You cant just cut the cat off ether since the collector is oval and has a dimple in it, unless you take it to a fabricator.

Anton G

You cant unless you buy the toce full exhaust system, they are the only ones who have a system that deletes the cat for the 22.

You cant just cut the cat off ether since the collector is oval and has a dimple in it, unless you take it to a fabricator.
True, I was crawling around the bike last night and it looks like a simple chop job will not be possible :) I was looking at Toce, but I think I might give the aftermarket some time to catch up to the new editions of the FTR, I'm sure they'll come up with something. A slip on can also be a solution but I really like the look with the cat removed. I love the look of Toce, but from what I hear it's super loud, and I don't necessarily want that. I like loud, but I also like my neighbors while I still live in the city. We shall see! I have other more cosmetic mods I want to do in the meantime, so the exhaust can wait for now.

Max Kool

I love the look of Toce, but from what I hear it's super loud, and I don't necessarily want that. I like loud, but I also like my neighbors while I still live in the city.
Sounds like a simple slip-on or removed baffles may be the best solution for you. With the baffles removed it sounds perfect imho. Not too loud but surely "adult".

Anton G

Even if it runs worse afterwards?

(finding a connecting pipe may be hard btw, the headers are oval where they meet the cat)
Nah, I'm just being flippant. Sometimes government imposition causes susceptibility to feelings of frustration. I will wait for a more reasonable solution.