2022 FTR Fuel Leak

Dbowles24

Howdy all! New to the forum with a 2022 FTR S. The bike has been almost perfect so far and I really appreciate all the help y'all give on these forums. I've been noticing a fair bit of fuel (possibly mixed with oil) under my bike after it's been parked in the garage. It appears to be coming out of the overflow tub next to the radiator overflow on the left side of the bike. When I first catch it, it is 100 percent fuel. If I come out later, it almost smells like fuel mixed with oil? Tracing that line up, it appears to come to a t-fitting that splits into the fuel tank and the airbox (could be wrong). I do not have the evap system if that makes a difference. Lastly, this issue occurs regardless of if the tank is full or almost empty. Does this bike have a fuel vent or something that could be plugged up causing too much pressure?

Max Kool

That’s most likely the vent line you’re referring to. Don’t plug it. Did you fuel up before you put her away for the night?

Dbowles24

The vent line isn't plugged up. The fuel comes out of the line regardless of when I last filled up so I thought that was odd. It's been doing it for about 2 weeks now (since I got it). Yours stopped after only a few days?

Dbowles24

Ah okay, well now I feel dumb. I figured condensation would evaporate off and not leave a stain on the cardboard.

Max Kool

Don't feel dumb.

Unlike a few decades ago, fuel tanks can't breathe through the gas cap anymore, the cap is sealed nowadays. So the only option is the breather lines, where it may condensate.

Last edited:

K9F

Don't feel dumb.

Unlike a few decades ago, fuel tanks can't breathe through the gas cap anymore, the cap is sealed nowadays. So the only option is the breather lines, where it may condensate.

Is that not the purpose of the Purge Valve which is part of the Evap Cannister System if you haven't ditched it?

Max Kool

Yes.

the vapors are absorbed by the charcoal in the canister. When the engine is running it opens the purge valve to suck the vapors out of the charcoal and burn it off. I gues on the overrun, but not sure.

K9F

I am unsure what exactly the Purge Valve purges whether it's the tank or the Evap Canister itself or both? Nevertheless not having an Evap Canister fitted doesn't necessarily mean the small valve may not still be there as it is not fitted in the canister but appears to be in the vent line?

Charliemurphay

Yea if you don’t have the Evap Canister, you just have the vent line that tees off and goes to the front high point and the rear high point on the “U” shaped fuel tank. Nothing else on the system.

Reactions: K9F