2022 FTR gearbox failure

Rosso

Hi guys, new to the forum, so this is my experience over the last few weeks, pre ordered the FTR carbon in march and after waiting almost 6 months finally get the news the bike has arrived, production number 168, put only a bit over 400kms on it before the problem happened.

Started bike fully warmed up went down fueled up which is less then a km from my house, pulled out on the highway normal acceleration up to 80km/h in 6th caught behind a slow driver, dropped back a gear went round went to shift into 6th herd a massive bang bike jerked wouldnt select a gear, back wheel locking up clutch did nothing to prevent it. Held it to a stop and got it off the road.

Bike will barely roll along makes all sorts of good noises, so jump the phone call from the indian dealership 3 days after it got picked up, they drained the oil no real signs of metal or no more then normal, removed the clutch pack there are signs of metal fragments, still made no difference on how the bike rolls, from there they called that catastrophic failure.

So now for some good news, after the dealership had a meeting with Indian Australia they replaced the the bike shipped to my door. Havent had a chance to ride it yet but just thought i would share my story and see if anyone else had seen or herd this happening. I am going to be updated as the dealership pulls apart and finds the cause, hope its just a one off.

Max Kool

Oh wow. Glad they manned up and shipped a new one.

(some people had bikes in shops for months after failures like these -not Indian btw-)

PS, make sure they fix the paperwork, you don't want a registration with the wrong VIN, two friends of mine had that happen.

Last edited:

edgelett

wow - nope never heard of anyone having g a failure like that. glad they replaced it for you.
where in Aus are you located?

Rosso

Was surprised they gave me a new bike, working in the automotive industry for almost 15 years i have never seen a manufacturer replace the entire vehicle, but been less then s month old and 400kms it was what i was hoping for

Rosso

new bike is a lower production number then the last by almost 70, so hopefully
put more kms on it then the last and that the issue is a one off

K9F

Possibly due to current shortage of parts it was a quick resolution to replace the bike rather than you waiting months on end for parts to arrive?

American

Damn! Locking up the rear tire at 80kph (like 200/300mph?! sigh metric system) will definitely get your heart rate up! Glad you were able to keep a cool head and get stopped without something bad happening.

Replacing the bike is the best possible outcome and for it to be decided that quickly is awesome. There have been a few stories of what Indian has done for members here that go above a beyond. Hoping that trend continues as a lot of members haven’t been thrilled with them in the past.

kiwi dave

PS, make sure they fix the paperwork, you don't want a registration with the wrong VIN, two friends of mine had that happen.
I had a Moto Guzzi registered as a Ducati by the dealer in Los Angeles. The dealer sold Ducati only, he somehow inherited the goose, and somehow either he or the DMV got confucius. Unfortunately plates for new bikes aren't instant in California (well, they weren't back then).

It took a lot of mucking around to get the situation corrected.