2022 wheels on a 2019 .....you betcha

Prw3

Like many of you I wasn't happy with my reach when sitting on my 2019 FTR with the factory 19 front and 18-in rear wheel and I preferred to have a better Tire selection. Upgrading to a saddleman seat helped, making sure the SAG in the rear snd in the front was correct helped but still tippy-toed at stop signs wasn't very fun. After doing a little bit of parts catalog research I decided to take the leap and see if 2022 in Wheels could be fitted with the ABS functional. If you're not concerned about the stability traction control/abs then changing your wheels out is pretty straightforward and painless and will simply bolt into place. If you're like me and want the ABS/TC to function correctly you'll need to add the front ABS disk to the new wheel. The 2022 models now have a special front left wheel bearing and a new wheel spacer that has the pickup that senses the rotation/signal from the bearing. I did try using the new spacer sensor which does have the exact same two wire plug as the original sensor but unfortunately the 2019 computer does not accept the signal from the new setup or at least I wasn't able to figure out how to make it work. The new Wheels do have the castings similar to the 2019 Wheels where the ABS ring system attaches to the wheel. I simply built a jig drilled and tapped the castings on the wheel and mounted the disc on the new wheel which is pretty straight forward but does require a bit of care to make sure it is centered, believe it or not the distance away from the pickup which is attached to the fork is more crucial than the disc being absolutely centered but for obvious reasons you want it as centered as possible. I did have to add a half millimeter shim on the pickup sensor Mount to get it that much closer to the wheel, the air gap needed is no less than 1.5 mm but no more than 3 mm. Overall I'm pretty happy with the way everything turned out today is day one with this setup so I haven't logged a lot of miles on it but the miles I have convinced me that I should have done this earlier, now all I have to do is wait for the 17 inch front carbon fiber fenders to be available as you can see in the photos you will have a little over an inch Gap until the new fenders are available. You'll also want to consider spending the money and getting the 2022 side stand as it is a full inch and a half shorter than the 2019 length which doesn't work well with the 18/19-in wheels and would be a disaster with 17s. Hope this info is helpful for anyone thinking of making this change in the future.

Attachments

• 20210721_070038.jpg
    20210721_070038.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 183
  • 20210721_054550.jpg
    20210721_054550.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 166
  • 20210720_053359.jpg
    20210720_053359.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 145
  • 20210719_130151.jpg
    20210719_130151.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 155
  • 20210720_184551.jpg
    20210720_184551.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 173
  • 20210721_054550.jpg
    20210721_054550.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 151
  • Screenshot_20210721-134411_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20210721-134411_Facebook.jpg
    712.4 KB · Views: 183

Max Kool

It's just like AA here, thanks for sharing!

Also, curious to know how it rides now.

Last edited:

edgelett

Been following this on the FB group and initially I was very excited but everything you've done is way beyond my ability.
I can't build jigs and I'm not comfortable drilling in to things I don't know anything about.
which is disappointing as this looked like the cheapest & easiest option for me to get 17 inch wheels on my FTR.
I also need ABS & TC working - the ABS saved my arse in the not too distant past.
but I really hope it works for you.
hopefully I can get some 17's in Aus at some point

Charliemurphay

Been following this on the FB group and initially I was very excited but everything you've done is way beyond my ability.
I can't build jigs and I'm not comfortable drilling in to things I don't know anything about.
which is disappointing as this looked like the cheapest & easiest option for me to get 17 inch wheels on my FTR.
I also need ABS & TC working - the ABS saved my arse in the not too distant past.
but I really hope it works for you.
hopefully I can get some 17's in Aus at some point
It seems it’d be a pretty straightforward job for a competent machine shop to knock out as far as drilling and tapping holes for the tone ring. Still might be worth looking into for you, if there’s one nearby.

Breto

I had the feeling it could be done if there was the same mounting points. Rite, many thanks for that. This is the road I’m now going to travel…it will be the cheapest option for us Tash to get 17’s on…getting the ring centred and shimmed will be the biggest challenge but its doable as Prw3 has shown…👍😎

Breto

now all I have to do is wait for the 17 inch front carbon fiber fenders to be available as you can see in the photos you will have a little over an inch Gap until the new fenders are available. You'll also want to consider spending the money and getting the 2022 side stand as it is a full inch and a half shorter than the 2019 length which doesn't work well with the 18/19-in wheels and would be a disaster with 17s. Hope this info is helpful for anyone thinking of making this change in the future.
Maybe fab yourself up some fender drop brackets. I think Mike may have an updated set of measurements for a 17 inch wheel…just check with him…👍😎

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
Those are the 10mm brackets for the 19in wheel. I have measurements for drop brackets for the 17s and the 19 fender. They are on my bracket thread. Last post.

edgelett

I had the feeling it could be done if there was the same mounting points. Rite, many thanks for that. This is the road I’m now going to travel…it will be the cheapest option for us Tash to get 17’s on…getting the ring centred and shimmed will be the biggest challenge but its doable as Prw3 has shown…👍😎
mate if you are able to do this, I'm more than happy to pay you for it.
it's just beyond my and Tony's ability.
If I say the words 'drill' and 'wheels' in the same sentence he will have a fit lmao.

but if you get them working on yours, please let me know cause I'm serious - paying you is cheaper than ordering wheels from overseas that might never arrive.

Breto

mate if you are able to do this, I'm more than happy to pay you for it.
it's just beyond my and Tony's ability.
If I say the words 'drill' and 'wheels' in the same sentence he will have a fit lmao.

but if you get them working on yours, please let me know cause I'm serious - paying you is cheaper than ordering wheels from overseas that might never arrive.
All good Tash…gotta get mine first and yep no probs. We can work something out…CC’s most probably…😋👍

Staedtler

How did you know that it hadn’t picked up the new signal from the bearing? The abs light is always on when you first ride the current bike until the wheel has done at least 1-2 rotations anyway.
Having said that, the signal most probably will be different anyway…

Prw3

How did you know that it hadn’t picked up the new signal from the bearing? The abs light is always on when you first ride the current bike until the wheel has done at least 1-2 rotations anyway.
Having said that, the signal most probably will be different anyway…
This conclusion was after riding the bike not while it sat, yes I'm aware the ABS light stays on until you start rolling. The ABS light wasn't the issue but rather the traction control engaging, essentially the system couldn't sense that the front wheel was spinning and thought the bike was out of control and engaged the abs and throttle cutoff like it should in the event of a front wheel lock up.

Prw3

No once I confirm that the sensor signals are not interchangeable I elected just to simply Mount the traditional tone ring on the new wheel. If someone ever figures out a workaround to make the bearing sensor work I can just simply remove the tone ring

edgelett

No once I confirm that the sensor signals are not interchangeable I elected just to simply Mount the traditional tone ring on the new wheel. If someone ever figures out a workaround to make the bearing sensor work I can just simply remove the tone ring
ah ok so you took the tone ring off the old wheel and popped it on the new one and it's all working ok now?
Speedo/ABS/TC?
And did you need to change cables etc as well?

djbrennan

Thanks Prw3. This is hugely helpful. I have been plowing through the parts fiches trying to figure out if I could switch to 17 wheels on my 2019. One question: Is your speedometer still accurate? I expect the reduction in wheel diameter will make it read higher than the actual speed. Thanks again for this post.

Melly

Count me in Breto will be interesting to see how much for the rims here in Australia

Breto

Count me in Breto will be interesting to see how much for the rims here in Australia
Yep well it’s on the list man…I’ve got other bits coming at the moment so they’ve gone on the back burner for the minute man…👍😎

phiquach

Hey guys, i want to do this to my bike 19' Race Replica.
Just wanted to make sure.
Basically, i just need to order '22 wheels, front(1523853-1654) and rear(Item # 1525192-1654) and whatever tires i want. Then need to make the modifications for the ABS(machine shop should be able to do this)?

Currently, Indian website is out of stock so i'm waiting for them to come back.