AFT Racing

Knox

Does anyone here follow American Flat Track racing? If so, what is your favorite event? Which riders do you routinely root for? Like many fans, I'm most looking forward to the Springfield Mile that was recently moved to August.

Bad'Tude

I have a group of friends who were planning a trip to Springfield and they had to cancel it because of the rescheduled race. It's understandable with the storms they've been having, but my buddies aren't happy because they can't go at the end of August.

I like keeping an eye on Jared Mees. I thought it was pretty cool when he had the first Indian win in a long time.

Dustin

I don't follow it that closely, but I do like to watch a good race every now and again. I'm more into the competition than who is competing.

Knox

It's understandable with the storms they've been having, but my buddies aren't happy because they can't go at the end of August.
I hear that! I'm still planning to go, but since it's turned into a doubleheader and it will be Labor Day weekend, I'm sure traffic and accommodations will be a nightmare. It will be worth it though! It's too bad that your buddies have to miss the race. Right now I'm rooting for Briar Bauman, who is riding an Indian FTR750, but I switch favorites all the time. There are so many fantastic competitors that it's hard to be a die-hard fan of just one rider.

Merrick

The Dixie Speedway is less than an hour from me, so I catch the races often enough. The Indian FTR750 sees a ton of action in races around here. That's really what got me looking at the brand, just noticing how well they perform on the track. Right now I'm rooting for Bronson Bauman who's really coming on up. He's riding the Indian FTR750 as part of the Indian Wrecking Crew this year and I think that's made a big difference for him. I think Briar Bauman (they're brothers if ya didn't know) is also talented as is Jared Mees.

Knox

@Merrick I was surprised by that win to tell you the truth, but you could tell Bronson was just really happy. It's hard to believe he's as young as he is! He sure handles the pressure well.

I went to my first AFT event in Perris, CA this year. It was a great event, I definitely will be going again next year.

Not a twins rider but I love Shayna Texter. It has to be tough competing against men but she never complains, just goes and gives it 100%!

Ultratoad

I follow most forms of motorcycle racing.... However, nothing makes my jaw drop quicker than an Indian pitched sideways at 100+ on a mile dirt track.... Absolutely amazing.... I've really grown to appreciate the 450's too.... Especially when Shanna Texter is beating the guys !!!!

Wayne

I have followed AFT all the way back when it was the Camel Pro Series in the early 80's. There is not closer racing anywhere. My current favorite is probably Jerod Mees but back in the day it was Jay Springsteen. My favorite venue is the Sacramento Mile mainly because its 25 miles from me. This year Sacramento is a double header. In reality any mile is great especially if you can get right up to the railing. Back in the day the San Jose mile was awesome. My favorite track was the Calistoga Half Mile which is not going to be run any longer. We used to race sprint cars at Calistoga and I always thought it would be an awesome flat track event which it was but for far too few years. Located in the heart of Napa Valley there is no prettier dirt track. The Lima 1/2 mile never disappoints with is old school dust and many lines. Watch from the saddle of Mert Lawill in the iconic movie On Any Sunday and you will become an instant fan.

Ultratoad

I have followed AFT all the way back when it was the Camel Pro Series in the early 80's. There is not closer racing anywhere. My current favorite is probably Jerod Mees but back in the day it was Jay Springsteen. My favorite venue is the Sacramento Mile mainly because its 25 miles from me. This year Sacramento is a double header. In reality any mile is great especially if you can get right up to the railing. Back in the day the San Jose mile was awesome. My favorite track was the Calistoga Half Mile which is not going to be run any longer. We used to race sprint cars at Calistoga and I always thought it would be an awesome flat track event which it was but for far too few years. Located in the heart of Napa Valley there is no prettier dirt track. The Lima 1/2 mile never disappoints with is old school dust and many lines. Watch from the saddle of Mert Lawill in the iconic movie On Any Sunday and you will become an instant fan.
Boy howdy.... We have some history in common.... Know the Camel Pro Series well.... I live in San Jose and attended the Mile events there every year.... When the San Jose Mile folded, I started going to Sacramento each year-- great venue.... My wife and I also attended Calistoga in 2018-- super place.... AND to top it off Mees is my guy too, not just because he wins, but because of his great attitude-- a real gentleman....

Wayne

FTRs in the wild. I went to the Sacramento Mile Saturday night 9/11. Perfect weather in the low 80's, fast, loud and under the lights the way it should be. If you have never attended a AFT flat track mile race you are missing out. I went straight from the Hangtown National Motocross to the mile and must say even though I'm a life long moto guy the mile is hard to beat. For the Euros try and catch one if you visit the US. I believe the Aussies have flat track since and Max Whale is Australia and doing well in the AFT singles.

Attachments

• Sac Mile.jpg
    Sac Mile.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 7

S2Davies

I went to the MCN event at Peterborough show ground on the 5th of September and there was a bit of Indian flat track action there. Not quite on the same scale, as your picture Wayne, but it did grab my interest. It was like speedway on serious steroids 😁

MCN Peterborough.jpg

Azzman

FTRs in the wild. I went to the Sacramento Mile Saturday night 9/11. Perfect weather in the low 80's, fast, loud and under the lights the way it should be. If you have never attended a AFT flat track mile race you are missing out. I went straight from the Hangtown National Motocross to the mile and must say even though I'm a life long moto guy the mile is hard to beat. For the Euros try and catch one if you visit the US. I believe the Aussies have flat track since and Max Whale is Australia and doing well in the AFT singles.
Lad that used to work for me in Australia did a season over there in the singles class think he ran out of cash though