AFT Racing

edgelett

I believe the Aussies have flat track since and Max Whale is Australia and doing well in the AFT singles.
yep we do.
we even have flat track racing that includes.....right hand turns lol. we call that 'dirt track racing'
so we have flat track racing, speedway and dirt track racing just to be confusing lol

you might have heard of this last guy

edgelett

@edgelett
Don't forget the sidecars at the Speedway. Absolute madness.
yep I LOVE sidecars at Speedway. so much fun to watch, my dad used to take us all the time. those and the sprint cars are a blast.

the fact Casey Stoner used to ride dirt track is why he was such a great rider on the Duc in MotoGP - you watch videos of him riding, he's drifting it around corners flat track style because the thing wouldn't turn otherwise. As much as I don't think he was the most exciting dude to interview, he could definitely ride hard.

D

Deleted member 706

Here's a view from the infield. My mechanic builds these and his son and the swinger are the State champs.
Back in the 80's a mate of mine took up the offer to swing off the chair and a swinger in front of them fell off, they ran him over and killed him. It was my mates first and last Speedway race meeting.
There's more on the fuknKIWI channel, same low standard of videography...

edgelett

That's awesome. My dad used to race sidecars back in the day in NZ. He was the 'pilot', he loved it.
One day his 'monkey' couldn't make it so he asked a mate to fill in. His mate had never been the monkey before so he said he's happy to drive if dad does that.
He agreed - and when telling us this story many years later said it was the abolute WORST experience as he had to be constantly moving to get the damn sidecar to steer and turn properly. He said 'it's honestly the most exhausting thing I ever did in my life so when we were done i said 'fuck that' and just rode regular bikes after that so no-one could ask me to do it ever again' lol

D

Deleted member 706

If you watch nothing else fast forward to 3.08 for the sidecar final, racing as good as it gets.
You'll also see yours truly as the flaggie, waiting for the red light, which fortunately didn't come on.

EDIT:
Here's the round about way of getting there.
For those on Facebook you can see the video here.
Pinjar Park Speedway | Junior 250cc Solo State Title & Sidecar Stampede
Saturday 16 October.

Last edited by a moderator:

FTR London

the fact Casey Stoner used to ride dirt track is why he was such a great rider on the Duc in MotoGP - you watch videos of him riding, he's drifting it around corners flat track style because the thing wouldn't turn otherwise. As much as I don't think he was the most exciting dude to interview, he could definitely ride hard.

Along with Freddie Spencer, Stoner was probably the most naturally talented individual I've had the privilege to watch on a GP racing motorcycle. The flat track revolution in the sport began with the Americans when Cal Rayborn came across and blew away the Brits on their own circuits during the Transatlantic Trophy in '72. Six years later, Kenny Roberts completely revolutionised the sport with his rear wheel steering and sliding which paved the way for the American invasion and the subsequent domination of Lawson, Rainey and Schwantz. I loved the Aussie dirt track pedigree too that Doohan and Stoner epitomised and currently Jackass too.

Last edited: