Aftermarket analog style tachometer.

Performed a forum search here and nothing came up so here goes. I have the 2019 base model. I would love an aftermarket tachometer as the numerical digital readout is not my thing. Im not talking a cheapie Amazon unit but a good name brand unit. Modern cars and bikes often do not take kindly to outside things wired in. Can I install an aftermarket tach? Will it work correctly? Will it play nice with my bike? I know big torque high performance V twins are short shifted which I do but I will always enjoy that orange needle sweeping across a black face. Thanks

K9F

Have a look at Smiths Instruments. Been in the market for for 170 years and started out as a watchmaker. Fitted one of their 'modern twist' electrical LED speedos to a mates bike not so long ago. Stylish and quality bits of kit and able to be fitted/configured for most modern vehicles. Tachometers I would imagine are easier than speedos to fit?

About | Smiths Instruments (smiths-instruments.co.uk)

eurostyletacho-ret3-1b52-14c-3510.png

Prw3

You could install just about any electronic tachometer you want too Smith, VDO, Auto meter etc. All you need is 12 volt power and a signal from the front or rear cylinder coil or possibly off the crank sensor. Setting up a clean mounting bracket system will be the only fabrication needed.

Thank you to those who have suggestions. Im researching this topic because I dont want to buy and wire up a tach just to find out the FTR1200 rejects the wiring in/ addition of a tach. Id prefer not to have to implement a resistor and such.

cupcake_mike

I know big torque high performance V twins are short shifted which I do

What's your definition of "short shifting? The redline on an FTR is 9k, not 6, like most big v-twins....

For one, don't follow that stupid chart in the owners manual, pretty sure it was plagiarized from a owners manual for a Cummins. My bike is happiest from 4-7k, that's where I ride it. I run up to around 7k before I shift, meaning 45ish mph to shift to 2nd, 60ish for the shift to third, 75 to 4th, 5th when I hit 90, 6th gear passing in to triple digits. If I'm steady cruising above 65, I'll always shift into 6th to help with fuel economy, but there is a bit of a lag in that gear at 65 if you pin it to overtake someone (because your engine rpm at that speed in 6th gear is just below where the torque curve peaks).

What's your definition of "short shifting? The redline on an FTR is 9k, not 6, like most big v-twins....

For one, don't follow that stupid chart in the owners manual, pretty sure it was plagiarized from a owners manual for a Cummins. My bike is happiest from 4-7k, that's where I ride it. I run up to around 7k before I shift, meaning 45ish mph to shift to 2nd, 60ish for the shift to third, 75 to 4th, 5th when I hit 90, 6th gear passing in to triple digits. If I'm steady cruising above 65, I'll always shift into 6th to help with fuel economy, but there is a bit of a lag in that gear at 65 if you pin it to overtake someone (because your engine rpm at that speed in 6th gear is just below where the torque curve peaks).
By short shifting I mean shifting hopefully JUST before the rev limiter kicks in. I may using the term Short Shifting incorrectly. Im getting better but its a new skill learning the sound and feel of a big HP V twin climbing the rev range as opposed to a 1980s 1100CC 16 valve inline 4 climbing the rev range. The old GS1100E does not rev as quick as the FTR.

Last edited:

Max Kool

You just want a kit. I get it. Maybe there is one for the Scout?

check this thread: https://www.indianmotorcycles.net/threads/analog-tach-install.91617/
Member Blackdragon over there is pretty smart. He figured out how to make one work accurately. I have saved the link to my favorites. Other members in that discussion voiced their frustration that a true "Plug and Play" unit does not exist- at least did not exist at the time of that posting. May be time for an email to Indian tech or maybe Ryan Randall. Honestly Id love it if my base black FTR had the Gauge reversed- meaning digital readout for speed and analog readout for RPMs.

K9F

Basically you want an autonomous indicator. Smiths give you that option with the 52mm Programmable one by either allowing you to connect to the alternator output or the ignition coil or the ECU tachometer outlet? The only other two feeds you need are switched ignition and lighting. It has DIL switches that you set, the same principle for the speedometer I wired in, my buddy just got a fabrication shop to make him a stainless powdercoated bracket that in this case picked up on the handlebar riser bolts.

 (caigauge.com)

Max Kool

Member Blackdragon over there is pretty smart. He figured out how to make one work accurately. I have saved the link to my favorites. Other members in that discussion voiced their frustration that a true "Plug and Play" unit does not exist- at least did not exist at the time of that posting. May be time for an email to Indian tech or maybe Ryan Randall. Honestly Id love it if my base black FTR had the Gauge reversed- meaning digital readout for speed and analog readout for RPMs.
This is one of those mods that keep nagging you basically "because it's not there". I've had bikes with, and without a tachometer and I have to admit, it doesn't matter. Just ride the wave of torque... I hardly ever look at the tacho on my TFT dash anyway...

Last edited:

mtFTRnh

Sing out, brother, if anyone ever sells a gauge that’s reversed like you describe!

Sing out, brother, if anyone ever sells a gauge that’s reversed like you describe!
I see this is available from Indian but its not available for the FTR1200. Plug and play. Expensive but I would buy one for my bikes if they offered one.