Alternative tires.... Conti Road Attack 3

Max Kool

In reply to @Blue1 in a different thread.

I installed a set of CRA3's last week. 120/70ZR19 front, 160/60ZR18 rear. I like them. According to Continental you need a 4.5" rim for these rear tires, but the 4.25" seems to work well. Maybe they're a little pinched but that could only make steer-in even better. The wear you see here is from a few hours in the canyons, balls of my feet on the pegs, shoes touching down (apparently I don't lean off much, so ymmv).

Gone is the weaving on concrete freeways (yeah!!), but most of all, more confidence at lean, way more road feel and I hope more longevity than the stock ones. I don't think the stock ones are bad by the way, just the front wears really fast, and the rear starts to "work" at serious lean. Serious canyon carving tire these...

(mandatory pics)

K9F

Be very interested to have feedback about longevity Max. I am about to do a longer haul trip across Europe and reckon with the roads I am travelling to get there the Dunlops will be shot upon my return.
Historically many years ago I got good mileage out of Bridgestones the dual compound variety and was leaning towards a set of A41s. Maybe I'll try a set and we could compare notes?

Blue1

That is exactly what I've been looking for. Be here in four days.

No rush though; I think I can squeeze another five or six hundred miles out of the OEM Dunlops. At that point, the front will probably be worn only about 60%.

I'm a big fan of Michelin Pilot Roads, and this seems to be Continental's take on that tire.

On my 'busa I get 5k out of a rear (!) and almost twice that from the front. The dual compound lets the tire wear evenly if you aren't on the straight and narrow too often.

So if these tires even approach the mileage and performance of the Pilot Roads I'll be very happy.

Blue1

jojo

OK, I have pretty much decided to get the BST carbon wheels in the stock sizes 18" rear & 19" front. The front wheel is a 19" x 3.0", and the rear is 18" x 5.5" wide. My question is; will there be any issues with a Conti RA 3 160ZR6018 widthwise on this 5.5" wide wheel? I am looking for a little lower height and lighter weight. Thanks, JoJo

Max Kool

5.5" is too wide for a 160/60 tire imho. 5" is really the max. It would be stretched very flat and you'd be riding the edge too easily. And they don't make decent tires in 180/60 or 180/55 in 18".... I think BST made a mistake here.

If I were in the market for carbon fibre wheels (and I still may do it), I would choose a stock sized 19" front, but a 5.5x17" rear with a 180/60 (or a 180/55).

BTW, my Vit 701 has a 160/60 on a 5" wheel -so fairly flat already-, and I ride these completely edge to edge

jojo

Thanks for the quick reply guys! I like the idea of going to a 17" rear. Will a 180/60 clear the chain etc. Also the rear sprocket may need adjusted tooth wise to keep the stock gear ratio.

Max Kool

Yes, it will. Just keep in mind you may want a tooth less on the rear sprocket and a taller shock (to counter the slightly smaller diameter wheel).

jojo

I have been checking out the selection of road sport tires that are available and I haven't been able to match a rear tire in a 17" with a front tire in the 19" size.
If I get the BST wheels both front and rear in the 17" size, then the tire selection is not a problem. I wonder what problems will be encountered due to the software that is aboard my "S" model, lean angle etc?

Max Kool

You could match any 17" rear with a 19" front as long as it fits the 17" rim.... or am I missing something? 170/60, 180/55, 190/50.... all depending on the width of the rear wheel...

jojo

Well here's what I have come up with; since I am trying to shave both weight and overall seat height, while trying to get the best all around street tires on this animal, I am leaning towards the 17" BST wheels both Front and back.
The rim widths are 5.5" rear, and 3.5" front. The tires that I have decided on are the Pirelli Diablo Corso II's 180/60/ZR17's rear, and 120/70/ZR17's front. Both are exactly 2" smaller in diameter than the stock wheels and tires. This will drop the overall height of the bike 1" over stock. Any thoughts?

Ray Tsang

Well here's what I have come up with; since I am trying to shave both weight and overall seat height, while trying to get the best all around street tires on this animal, I am leaning towards the 17" BST wheels both Front and back.
The rim widths are 5.5" rear, and 3.5" front. The tires that I have decided on are the Pirelli Diablo Corso II's 180/60/ZR17's rear, and 120/70/ZR17's front. Both are exactly 2" smaller in diameter than the stock wheels and tires. This will drop the overall height of the bike 1" over stock. Any thoughts?
I am looking into ways to lower the bike as well...and love the idea of a wider rear tyre and smaller wheels. Please share pictures and how everything works out.

edgelett

i got Conti Road Attack 3's - the 160/60 profile lowered the bike a little which definitely helped.

Ed Fox

Pirelli Scorpion Trail II Dual Sport Tires, these tires come in the stock sizes for the front and the back. I tried an Avon Storm 3D in a 160/60/18 and did not like it at all. I didn’t like the feel and I didn’t like the effect on the speedo. The Pirelli has the same aspect ratio as the Dunlop that comes with the bike and the bike turns in a little quicker. The duel compound of the Pirelli should help with longer life. Indian 2.jpg

Massimo

Max do you know the max. diam of the rear wheel with the conti-road-attack-3 ? Mine with stock tires is 655mm !