Alternative tires.... Conti Road Attack 3

Fille

Pirelli Scorpion Trail II Dual Sport Tires, these tires come in the stock sizes for the front and the back. I tried an Avon Storm 3D in a 160/60/18 and did not like it at all. I didn’t like the feel and I didn’t like the effect on the speedo. The Pirelli has the same aspect ratio as the Dunlop that comes with the bike and the bike turns in a little quicker. The duel compound of the Pirelli should help with longer life. View attachment 1479

Ed Fox

For general riding I stick with stock pressure 36 front, 40 rear. If I’m going early with group that are going to cut it up I’ll go 35 front, 36 rear

Last edited:

R. Warshawsky

Pirelli Scorpion Trail II Dual Sport Tires, these tires come in the stock sizes for the front and the back. I tried an Avon Storm 3D in a 160/60/18 and did not like it at all. I didn’t like the feel and I didn’t like the effect on the speedo. The Pirelli has the same aspect ratio as the Dunlop that comes with the bike and the bike turns in a little quicker. The duel compound of the Pirelli should help with longer life. View attachment 1479
I had the Pirellis installed just over 4k miles ago. The front still has the Scorpion logo visible, and the rear has between 7-8 mm of tread depth.

Breto

In reply to @Blue1 in a different thread.

I installed a set of CRA3's last week. 120/70ZR19 front, 160/60ZR18 rear. I like them. According to Continental you need a 4.5" rim for these rear tires, but the 4.25" seems to work well. Maybe they're a little pinched but that could only make steer-in even better. The wear you see here is from a few hours in the canyons, balls of my feet on the pegs, shoes touching down (apparently I don't lean off much, so ymmv).

Gone is the weaving on concrete freeways (yeah!!), but most of all, more confidence at lean, way more road feel and I hope more longevity than the stock ones. I don't think the stock ones are bad by the way, just the front wears really fast, and the rear starts to "work" at serious lean. Serious canyon carving tire these...

(mandatory pics)
View attachment 94

View attachment 95

View attachment 96
And the best part about them is no mould release compound used in manufacture. They feel like shark skin and stick from the get go. I love mine. Changed the bike. 👍😎

kiwi dave

I've just replaced my original tires with Battlax Sport Touring T32 versions, (R191207BRT32F) & (R181606BRT32R) at 5454 kM (3389 US miles).

The difference is chalk and cheese, the originals were wearing strangely, and gave me no confidence. Highly recommended.

HTull

I had the Pirellis installed just over 4k miles ago. The front still has the Scorpion logo visible, and the rear has between 7-8 mm of tread depth.
Have the Pirellis on my RR and am very pleased with the feel. No wobbles in the highway rain grooves, and they hold nice and tight cornering.

kiwi dave

A further update om my new Battlax Sport Touring T32 tires. Friday was the first fine day in weeks, so got to try out the new tires on the open highway. They performed flawlessly, but one unexpected consequence was the amount of road grime flicked up onto the back of my jeans, my jacket and also right up on to my helmet. It took a couple of hours to clean the debris off the bike, like sh*t on a blanket.

So why the change? It was a fine day, but had heavy rain just before the ride, and the roads were damp but drying. I have moved the license plate and rear flashers up under the seat, but this was nearly a year ago without noticing any change. Perhaps the new tires were acting as road cleaners, enabling the tires to effectively cling to the road itself?

Because the plate and rear flashers were no longer on the original mount, I had removed the mount to reduce a bit of unsprung weight (4.19 kg according to my calcs). Of course the original tiny rear fender was also removed, so I have remounted it to the rear of the swinging arm to see if it contributes to shielding me from the deluge. I'll report back after a few more rides.

R. Warshawsky

Have the Pirellis on my RR and am very pleased with the feel. No wobbles in the highway rain grooves, and they hold nice and tight cornering.
What PSI do you run? I set them at 40 front and rear, lots of road feedback but good overall feel.

Max Kool

That’s what’s on the sidewall I guess? The recommended pressures for both solo and duo riding are 36F and 40R (psi)

A1DA99AB-849C-438D-9A39-D68D8BAE2FC4.jpeg