Alternative tires.... Conti Road Attack 3

Max Kool

Nah, I have a new tire standing here (in a different size than 160/60ZR18) and compared the thread depth to a different Conti on my other bike. I measured ~7mm which seemed a lot. But totally normal.

FTR London

I have the CRA3s on my FTR and they are outstanding in comparison to the DT3s. Superb feedback and feel. Problem is, I loath the look. It's supposed to be a dirt bike. Would instantly fit a pair of MT60 RS were it not for the fact that they don't cater for the 18" rear and the 19" front.

FTR London

Thanks for the replies. Already considered the Michelin Anakee Adventure which would have been my go to choice but from memory it doesn't seem to cater for the 18" rear. The Pirelli Scorpion Rally STR and the Avon Trailrider do, but in all honesty I wonder how much better than the OEM DT3 - Rs they'd actually be. The front had decent feel as I recall, it was the rear that was slightly lacking imo. The CRA-3s are a revelation of course - hugely improved feel and feedback, light, quick, precise and instills confidence at or near full lean...massively happy with the performance, I just don't think that they suit the look of the bike or the style. On the other hand, they are 160 rears as opposed to 150s, which I like. I understand that you can't have your cake and eat it.

I guess one answer is to adapt my 2019 bike to 17" wheels.

edgelett

Thanks for the replies. Already considered the Michelin Anakee Adventure which would have been my go to choice but from memory it doesn't seem to cater for the 18" rear. The Pirelli Scorpion Rally STR and the Avon Trailrider do, but in all honesty I wonder how much better than the OEM DT3 - Rs they'd actually be. The front had decent feel as I recall, it was the rear that was slightly lacking imo. The CRA-3s are a revelation of course - hugely improved feel and feedback, light, quick, precise and instills confidence at or near full lean...massively happy with the performance, I just don't think that they suit the look of the bike or the style. On the other hand, they are 160 rears as opposed to 150s, which I like. I understand that you can't have your cake and eat it.

I could have sworn I saw some people on the FB group with the Michelins on a 2019 FTR?
I could be wrong though

R. Warshawsky

The Pirelli, from my perspective and about 6k miles on each, is significantly better all the way around. Best of luck.

Timps27

If you want a good road tire that looks a bit gnarlier the Shinko 705 is an option. I’ve run almost all the top adv tires on my Tiger, none of them match the Shinko for bang/$.

5913FEAC-B934-4D8A-87FF-2A9EF62F1545.jpeg

FTR London

If you want a good road tire that looks a bit gnarlier the Shinko 705 is an option. I’ve run almost all the top adv tires on my Tiger, none of them match the Shinko for bang/$.

View attachment 3930
Thanks for that. Would certainly match the character of the FTR (in terms of looks). Korean derivative of Yokohama as I understand it. Disregarded them simply because I was favouring a 'name' tyre. I've read that these are surprisingly grippy on the road.

Timps27

Considering it’s supposed to be a ADV tire, surprisingly grippy is a good description. They also last longer than any of the other tires I’ve used, as an example I have a TKC-70 Rocks on the back right now and will get about 9-10,000 out of two rears and one front, with the Shinko I get 15-18,000 out of two rears and a front (and the front has plenty of life left just horribly cupped).

Max Kool

Horribly cupped tires should be replaced. The contact patch is significantly smaller. Regardless of the remaining thread depth.

SCarty

I found this tire ( Continental Tire Conti Road Attack 3 150/65R18 Rear CR) searching around,do you think it would be better than the 160/60-18 ? It cost $295.00 !

kiwi dave

I refer you back to my post item #36.

Yesterday, I ended up riding in the rain again. Heavy showers with fine intervals between.

Sure, I got a bit wet, but not enough to get out the waterproof over-trousers. Once the initial ride in the rain, it all becomes a little pointless to stop and change.

wallycycle

My better half is on her second set of Michelin Anakee Adventure. 7K miles out of the first rear and she said handled great all the way up to the end.