Any recommendations on 2019 FTR 1200 ECU tunes in or around Orange County, CA?

Rhedogian

I bought a new (to me) 2019 1200 RR a couple of days ago, and while I've really enjoyed it so far, it seems to be suffering from pretty severe stuttering and surging at most RPM ranges, not to mention really shitty cold start performance and stalling. Doing some research revealed that these are probably caused by a bad factory tune, and can hopefully be fixed with an ECU flash. Kind of sucks it left the factory this way though.

Of course I'd like to buy a tuner and get it flashed, but to be honest I don't know what I'm doing in that arena and don't want to brick my bike. Also it seems like a lot of the tuning software companies don't ship to California (which isn't too hard to get around though). That being said, does anyone have recommendations for shops that offer 2019 FTR 1200 S tunes in the SoCal area? I'm willing to drive a decent amount if needed to get there. Someone told me about one in Long Beach? Though I don't know anything beyond that.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!!

Charliemurphay

There is no remote tuning center near you that does the FTR. I would recommend sending your ECU to Lloydz garage for them to re-flash.

Heres a link to their page:

The other option is to purchase a PV3 and a FuelMoto tune. I have done both and recommend the Lloydz flash personally.

Rhedogian

Thanks. Is this something I could take to my local dealer and ask them to remove/ship the ECU and stuff? Seems like Lloydz is the way to go.

Thanks!

Rhedogian

Although my one issue with sending it off to Lloyd is that the tune is permanent. I get the feeling that the resale value of the bike might be significantly affected if it's advertised as tuned, even if you can convince the buyer that it's not some shitty homebrew garage tune.

Or you could play the 'didn't ask didn't tell' card but that feels a little dishonest. Leaning towards the PV3 now for that reason, unless there's a good argument to be made for Lloydz.

edgelett

Although my one issue with sending it off to Lloyd is that the tune is permanent. I get the feeling that the resale value of the bike might be significantly affected if it's advertised as tuned, even if you can convince the buyer that it's not some shitty homebrew garage tune.

Or you could play the 'didn't ask didn't tell' card but that feels a little dishonest. Leaning towards the PV3 now for that reason, unless there's a good argument to be made for Lloydz.
well you CAN flash the ECU back again. it's just more of a pain in the arse.
If you have an original 2019 FTR with the original ECU software, you CAN still pop a Lloydz tune on via a PV3 but not sure if they're still offering that at all or if they stopped.
I don't know if 'this bike is running better cause I've had it tuned' would ruin resale value, it would add to it I think?
But understand the concern.

Regardless of an ECU flash or PV3 tune - make sure your dealer does NOT touch the ECU once it's tuned.

Rhedogian

well you CAN flash the ECU back again. it's just more of a pain in the arse.
If you have an original 2019 FTR with the original ECU software, you CAN still pop a Lloydz tune on via a PV3 but not sure if they're still offering that at all or if they stopped.
I don't know if 'this bike is running better cause I've had it tuned' would ruin resale value, it would add to it I think?
But understand the concern.

Regardless of an ECU flash or PV3 tune - make sure your dealer does NOT touch the ECU once it's tuned.
Thanks for the perspective. I guess if you advertise it as 'hey the factory tune is pretty garbage and Lloydz is the best upgrade on the market' it might be a selling point. Appreciate the additional info

Tomahawk

Thanks for the perspective. I guess if you advertise it as 'hey the factory tune is pretty garbage and Lloydz is the best upgrade on the market' it might be a selling point. Appreciate the additional info
I'm thinking along the same lines you. I just picked up '22 and reached out to Lloyds to ask if they still have a PV3 option. I like having the flexibility of loading different tunes or going back to stock myself. I think the new bikes have a different software version that makes the PV3 option hit or miss. I've reached out to Fuel Moto as well but haven't heard back.

Rhedogian

I'm thinking along the same lines you. I just picked up '22 and reached out to Lloyds to ask if they still have a PV3 option. I like having the flexibility of loading different tunes or going back to stock myself. I think the new bikes have a different software version that makes the PV3 option hit or miss. I've reached out to Fuel Moto as well but haven't heard back.
Please let me know what they say! That would be awesome.

Thanks

edgelett

I'm thinking along the same lines you. I just picked up '22 and reached out to Lloyds to ask if they still have a PV3 option
Lloydz don't offer PV3 tuning for the 2022, only for the 2019 and only if you still have the original ECU software. but I think that cause they can't ensure what software a customer has, they aren;t offering that any more either.

Fuel Moto claim they can tune the 2022 with a PV3 but I've heard mixed results.

Tomahawk

Lloydz don't offer PV3 tuning for the 2022, only for the 2019 and only if you still have the original ECU software. but I think that cause they can't ensure what software a customer has, they aren;t offering that any more either.

Fuel Moto claim they can tune the 2022 with a PV3 but I've heard mixed results.
Here are the actual responses from both companies:

Lloyds - "pv3 does not work with 22 ftr to our standards. We will not provide a map for 22 via pv3. What;s your location? Maybe we have an FTR-equipped tuning center near you."

Fuel Moto - "We will not have an issue tuning your bike. We have tune support for literally every ECM configuration any FTR has ever been built with. We would be more than happy to provide you with a custom tune.

If you have any questions, would like to get an order going, or just want to discuss anything further, please let me know. You can reach me here or at (920) 423-3309. Looking forward to working with you."

So I'm going to give Fuel Moto a shot. I'll report back on how it goes.

dsrydr

I have a 2019 ftrs. I was ok with how it ran till I removed the baffles in the stock exhaust. The little quirky characteristics were then magnified. Basically it was annoying to ride at slower/constant speeds. Kind of had a mind of it's own at times. Did the lloydz tune at the dealer where I bought the bike used a few monthe ago. They are a remote location. Went in to talk to them about it and a couple hours later it was tuned. Transformed the bike. Worth every penny!! It's not always perfect, but this is not a honda goldwing. It runs so much better, fun factor up substantially. I wouldn't change a thing.

Just make sure you don't have any plans to do major changes to exhaust/intake after the tune such as remove the cat which would require a different tune.