Apple car play

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
yes, and it will NEVER be added to the FTR screen, the FTR screen doesnt meet the minimum requirements for it to run, nor does the ftr have an external speedometer.

Yes it will show up in a bubble in different modes. But thats with the Indian software. Car play is unable to do that.

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
You have to have your phone hooked up to your dash to have it work anyway, so just use the phone screen.

Moto-775

You have to have your phone hooked up to your dash to have it work anyway, so just use the phone screen.

unless you have an iPhone 11 Pro Max... then it sends the screen in to a continual boot loop lol. @ferraiolo1 as you seems to be the guru lately, have you seen anything regarding an update to fix this?

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
My 11 Always worked perfectly fine with mine.
Have you updated the ride command software on the bike?

Ed Fox

I use and Android so I don't really have a dog in this fight. I will tell you that the FTR s screen works better with my phone and headset than any bike I've ever ridden. I have a 2018 Goldwing and It is no-ware near as good at interfacing with my stuff.

Moto-775

I do have the firmware updated. I can say as well with an Iphone 11 and Iphone Pro that the bike works fine. I can have the bike running and switch between three phones working perfectly and plug in my 11 pro max and a friends 11 pro max and both put the display in continual reboot. There is another post on here about another individual having the same error.
It isn't much of an issue as I can use Bluetooth and get most of the functionality, but the Bluetooth then try's to steal playing music away from your bike headset. Small problem in the grand scheme of things as the bike is perfect everywhere else.

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
That’s very odd
I stopped using my phone with the bike since I grew tired of blowing out my cameras. But when I was using it connected to the bike it was never an issue.

Klonny

I’ve heard the camera actually doesn’t go bad ifYou make sure the APP is off and not running in the background?

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
No, that doesnt matter.

And yes, the dot will show you where to turn, the arrow shows you where to go.

PokieFTR

That’s very odd
I stopped using my phone with the bike since I grew tired of blowing out my cameras. But when I was using it connected to the bike it was never an issue.
What do you mean by blowing out your cameras? I had an iPhone 11 pro and the camera started acting very crazy after I had been charging it on my FTR (autofocus was having a siezure and the camera would buzz). I replaced my phone through applecare, and now it is happening again on new iPhone 11 pro. Do you think that the FTR Ridecommand is destroying my cameras? Did this happen to you?

Thank you!

Pokie

Staedtler

It's not RideCommand that's killing your phone, it's the vibrations from the bike causing havoc with your image stabilisation on your phone.
Some phone mounts are better designed for vibration dampening than others, Quadlock being a better one I believe.

PokieFTR

It's not RideCommand that's killing your phone, it's the vibrations from the bike causing havoc with your image stabilisation on your phone.
Some phone mounts are better designed for vibration dampening than others, Quadlock being a better one I believe.
Ahh, I see! makes total sense. Thank you for pointing that out. I see Quadlock offers an vibration dampener accessory that they claim reduces 90% of vibrations to the phone. My next purchase. https://www.quadlockcase.com/blogs/news/introducing-the-vibration-dampener

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
I’ve still seen some failures with that mount. It’s hit or miss with the new phones. That’s why it stays in my pocket now.

apple even put out a notice about it. Soon they will start denying insurance claims I’m sure.

K9F

If you carry out longer journeys I personally use the phone for navigation and entertainment which precludes placing it in your pocket. I have the Quadlock mount to include the anti vibration mount fitted on both my bikes and have never experienced any issues. Placing the anti vibration mount as central to the bars as you can will also inevitably reduce vibration too. No good at the ends of the bars so much.

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
Beeline gps or a standard Mc gps fixes that and cheaper than buying a new phone :)

curious as to the entertainment aspect of the phone on a bike through

mark.lb

I run the new generation Apple iPhone SE. (released in April of 2020) It features the A13 Bionic system on chip processor and a rear 12 MP camera with a single lens, similar to the single lens camera system of the iPhone 8. The camera systems on SE and iPhone 8 and below have a more rudimentary stabilization system and are more resistant to damage from vibration. I mount mine to a standard RAM X grip attached to the bar. So far I have 7,000 miles with no damage to the camera. The iPhone SE is an excellent motorcycle phone. At around $400.00 it is also very reasonable.

Reactions: K9F

K9F

Quadlock even recognise the issue in their advertising which is a bold move. I haven’t heard of any recent issues with the anti vibration mount fitted on latter phones.

Cut and paste “The level of vibration from some motorcycles can affect the image stabilisation on new smartphones. The Quad Lock Vibration Dampener ensures you can confidently mount your smartphone to any motorcycle.”

I have no idea how firm they stand behind their statement nor do I really care!

Entertainment aspect is simple: Bypass the FTR system by using a Senna. Calls making and receiving an easy voice commanded task. Works for me!