Aussie Owners - new AH2 ECU update

edgelett

the new ECU update that has been out in the USA for about a year now (referred to as the AH2 software update) for the FTR1200 is now available here in Aus and NZ.
I have been doing some testing on this update and comparing to both a stock bike and an aftermarket tune.
the new ECU update is ONLY available at your dealer, you cannot install it yourself.
What does it do?
- cold stalls are pretty much eliminated. in testing, I had 1 cold stall over a 3 week period.
  • Much smoother through the 3-4k rpm range, nowhere near as surgey
  • much smoother overall - the bike rides better
  • Throttle sensitivity/twitchyness is improved

If you have the original tune on your bike, or you are keeping your bike stock or only installing a slip on pipe and keeping the cat, this ECU update is a big improvement.

BUT

If you have an aftermarket tune, this ECU update will erase it, and you won't be able to use the PV3 to tune your bike any more. So if you have an exhaust that deletes the cat, or a full system, you may find your bike is running worse after the ECU update compared to your tune, and you won't be able to 'go back' to what you had.

My understanding is that dealers are updating ECUs as bikes are being brought in for servicing. If you want to keep your tune, make sure you let your dealer know to NOT update your ECU.
Personally - I'm going to be keeping my tune and full exhaust system.
But if you are still on stock software and don't want or need a tune, this might fix all those little quirks you've had
🙂

edgelett

I'm not in Australia, but in the United States, I was able to put a tune on my A2H bike using the PV3.
If you have a tune from Ryan at Lloyds, this isn't an option.
I have also been informed that some people have issues with the FM tune too when matched with the AH2 software including flameouts.
if it's working for you then great!
but it seems to be a mixed back of results, therefore it's better to NOT update if you can avoid it

bbuettner

I am in the USA and have also put an Fuel Moto tune on my AH2 ECU.

It is running great.

I did need to update the firmware on my PV3, maybe the people having trouble just need to update the PV3 firmware?

Aleko

the new ECU update that has been out in the USA for about a year now (referred to as the AH2 software update) for the FTR1200 is now available here in Aus and NZ.
I have been doing some testing on this update and comparing to both a stock bike and an aftermarket tune.
the new ECU update is ONLY available at your dealer, you cannot install it yourself.
What does it do?
- cold stalls are pretty much eliminated. in testing, I had 1 cold stall over a 3 week period.
  • Much smoother through the 3-4k rpm range, nowhere near as surgey
  • much smoother overall - the bike rides better
  • Throttle sensitivity/twitchyness is improved

If you have the original tune on your bike, or you are keeping your bike stock or only installing a slip on pipe and keeping the cat, this ECU update is a big improvement.

BUT

If you have an aftermarket tune, this ECU update will erase it, and you won't be able to use the PV3 to tune your bike any more. So if you have an exhaust that deletes the cat, or a full system, you may find your bike is running worse after the ECU update compared to your tune, and you won't be able to 'go back' to what you had.

My understanding is that dealers are updating ECUs as bikes are being brought in for servicing. If you want to keep your tune, make sure you let your dealer know to NOT update your ECU.
Personally - I'm going to be keeping my tune and full exhaust system.
But if you are still on stock software and don't want or need a tune, this might fix all those little quirks you've had
🙂
I just bought my bike yesterday and to my surprise this morning at stalled three times including when I jump back on it after work stalled once,, so I’ve been reading up all tonight over what’s going on in the states and with a dyno jet PV3 tune looks like that’s our solution. So am I reading this right..
If I get the dealer to reflash the ecu,, down the track I can’t reflash it myself..??

D

Deleted member 706

I've got no idea. The local stealership did mention a new update,they didn't tell me anything much and I couldn't wait to GTFO.
I can feel a PV3 coming on...

edgelett

I just bought my bike yesterday and to my surprise this morning at stalled three times including when I jump back on it after work stalled once,, so I’ve been reading up all tonight over what’s going on in the states and with a dyno jet PV3 tune looks like that’s our solution. So am I reading this right..
If I get the dealer to reflash the ecu,, down the track I can’t reflash it myself..??
what year is your FTR?
If it's one of the new 2022 models, you won't be able to tune it with a PV3 from Lloyds cause it's already got the new ECU software on it.
I believe Fuel Moto say they can still tune the FTR with the updated ECU via PV3 but I haven't used them for my tune so can't confirm, you'd need to speak to them.

if it's a 2019-2020, check what the idle speed is. if it's around 1250 it's the old ECU software and you're fine with a PV3.

Mlazarus

I had the new AH2 software and I used a Fuel Moto tune via PV3 to accommodate the cat delete/slip on. For what its' worth, I thought the AH2 was pretty decent before the cat delete and S&S pipe.

Aleko

what year is your FTR?
If it's one of the new 2022 models, you won't be able to tune it with a PV3 from Lloyds cause it's already got the new ECU software on it.
I believe Fuel Moto say they can still tune the FTR with the updated ECU via PV3 but I haven't used them for my tune so can't confirm, you'd need to speak to them.

if it's a 2019-2020, check what the idle speed is. if it's around 1250 it's the old ECU software and you're fine with a PV3.
Mine was complianced 08/2020
And it's a stock 1200 S.
It seems to have cat-converter.
So if I get the update, I still want to go down the track and fit a better airbox, pipes and tune it with Ryan's tuner.
So my question is, will the factory update prevent me from doing mods in the future...
Surely that's illegal

edgelett

So my question is, will the factory update prevent me from doing mods in the future...
Surely that's illegal
no, the factory update doesn't prevent you from modifying the bike,
it DOES prevent you from being able to tune with a Lloyds tune via PV3.
As I mentioned, some people have a tune via Fuel Moto and say they can still tune with the PV3 without issue even after the update.
but every person with a Ryan tune, once the software is updated you won't be able to use the PV3 any more.
So just do what I did - tell your dealer to NOT update the software and you'll be fine.
my dealer knows I have a tune, and will not put the newer ECU software on my bike. so I can still switch tunes with PV3 if I ever need to go back to stock for any reason.

when you say 'it seems to have cat converter' - that should be pretty obvious I think?
it's a huge hunk hanging on the exhaust lol

Aleko

It's frustrating to have the cold start on a new bike and how it carrbetcarrwhilst you twist through between 2nd and 3rd gear.
So now I'm torn between Ryan's tune and Fm..
I'd like to know about what other riders in oz have done as the fuels here are different to Europe and the US.

edgelett

yup our fuels are different
My husband used to work at Holdens here in Adelaide (GM to you Americans)
When we were exporting the Pontiac at one point, everyone at the plant had strict instructions to only put the US fuel in them for test runs, not Aussie fuel. They had a special supply of US fuel only. Our fuel is so shit compared to the US, that the rule was if anyone put AU fuel in the Pontiac, they didn't just drain the tank they actually replaced the entire fuel tank and drained as much fuel out the rest of the system as possible.

I know Ryan had to tweak both my first tune and Craig's first tune (he's in NZ) to account for that.
We were the first two test bunnies, but now there are dozens in AU with a Ryan tune.
The benefit of a PV3 tune is I got mine when my bike was stock, then updated it when I got my Toce.

I know on the Aussie FTR FB group there are some who got tunes from Fuel Moto and are very happy, some who got tunes from Ryan who are very happy, and about 2 or 3 people who went and got their bike dyno tuned somewhere local from a tuner with experience in tuning via PV3.

Aleko

Thanks heaps,
So it seems I should just bite the bullet and get Ryan's tune.
Now, does he work at Lloydz garage?.
I believe it's an Indian dealer.
Us that correct?.
Excuse my ignorance..

My situation drew criticism on the FB forum. My 2019 base was purchased used with 500 miles. The previous owner kept the catalytic converter but added a Toce slip on and Lloydz Garage tune. (hand held device) My bike ran great for 150 miles then when into misfire mode- Flashing service engine light and 2 codes I dont remember but they were "cylinder misfire" none the less. I took it in to my dealer and I did fully disclosed the aftermarket tune. Their diagnosis was the tune was not completely compatible and was the cause of my misfiring. They down loaded their REVISED Indian tune and my bike runs excellent. This cost me $130 obviously not covered under warranty. Have put over 1,000 fun miles on it since the revised tune was installed. The critics on FB forum said I should have re loaded the original 2019 tune before taking in it. 1: In this modern age automobile and motorcycle techs can see whats been installed and or uninstalled. These are computers and leave a trail. 2 Its been proven that in some bikes- not alot but some the hand held tune can cause issues. From my involvement on forums its not alot of bikes that act up. The Sending in your ECU for reprogramming is the best option. I was told this by Ryan Randall in an email. I am considering sending him my ECU but really my bike does run great and I may put that $500 toward a luggage rack and other goodies.

Last edited:

Charliemurphay

The Sending in your ECU for reprogramming is the best option. I was told this by Ryan Randall in an email. I am considering sending him my ECU but really my bike does run great and I may put that $500 toward a luggage rack and other goodies.
As I understand it, this is the only “undetectable” ECU mod as anything involving the PV3 will leave a trace even if you rollback to the factory tune. That said I have a PV3 Fuel Moto tune after the AH2 update and my bike runs great.

R. Warshawsky

My situation drew criticism on the FB forum. My 2019 base was purchased used with 500 miles. The previous owner kept the catalytic converter but added a Toce slip on and Lloydz Garage tune. (hand held device) My bike ran great for 150 miles then when into misfire mode- Flashing service engine light and 2 codes I dont remember but they were "cylinder misfire" none the less. I took it in to my dealer and I did fully disclosed the aftermarket tune. Their diagnosis was the tune was not completely compatible and was the cause of my misfiring. They down loaded their REVISED Indian tune and my bike runs excellent. This cost me $130 obviously not covered under warranty. Have put over 1,000 fun miles on it since the revised tune was installed. The critics on FB forum said I should have re loaded the original 2019 tune before taking in it. 1: In this modern age automobile and motorcycle techs can see whats been installed and or uninstalled. These are computers and leave a trail. 2 Its been proven that in some bikes- not alot but some the hand held tune can cause issues. From my involvement on forums its not alot of bikes that act up. The Sending in your ECU for reprogramming is the best option. I was told this by Ryan Randall in an email. I am considering sending him my ECU but really my bike does run great and I may put that $500 toward a luggage rack and other goodies.
If it ain't broke...