Can anyone help? Inconsistent running even with Lloyd's V6

Lance

Hi all,

I have a very frustrating problem with my 2019 FTR Carbon - the way it runs varies a great deal. It is sometimes crisp, smooth and pulls cleanly as you would expect (and is a delight when it is like this.... :) ) but sorry to say it is more often rough running, slow or poor throttle response, with noticeably less power, more vibration. I have Lloydz V6 installed on the ECU. What is really odd is that it can change apparently randomly - I've had periods of a a day or so where it has been fine but more often it is inconsistent, changing moment to moment even. So sometimes, poor, sometimes moderately OK and sometimes (but not often), perfect - as it is clearly designed to be.

When it is good, throttle blips are clean and the motor spins up quickly, the response is consistent and predictable etc. - when it is poor, throttle blips are hesitant (sometimes a damp fart instead) and what you get in response to the throttle varies. I've checked obvious things like electrical connections, battery, (even bought a new one), fuses, etc. I have also experienced complete cut-outs although it restarts OK.

Essentially, it is no fun at all to ride...... :-(

Does anyone have any similar experience or any suggestions as to what to look at next?

I have posted here in the hope someone is going to say 'Yes, I know exactly what that is - it is 'X' and this is what you do to fix it'

Many thanks for any input or suggestions.

Lance

Hi Ferraiolo1 - appreciate your reply - thanks.

I've just replaced the battery for the very reason you mention and torqued up the connectors well.

One thing I could have mentioned earlier that might be relevant is that it generally runs better in 'standard' mode compared with 'sport' mode. When its running rough there seems to be excess fuel (smell).

I take your point that the intermittency suggests it is not a tune issue but its not 'on' or 'off' - it is a range. I do wonder if the ECU is making adjustments based on sensor inputs like the o2 sensors, crank position sensors, temp sensors etc. and if faults in any of these might be contributory or the cause.

I see you have a lot of experience and are a significant contributor on the forum - thanks for that. Any further thoughts well received.

edgelett

Have you gotten back in touch with Lloydz and asked them?
Also, I see you changed the battery but it could still be a battery issue - my hubby got a battery replaced under warranty and the one they changed it with was 2 years old, so he needed it replaced again (once again, under warranty).

Lance

Thanks Edgelett. I did test the battery before fitting it - its a new lithium type and is new - but I suppose worth re-considering and I've heard the horror stories around the batteries people have had.

I did get in touch with Lloydz and surprisingly, they were uninterested; I had heard so many good things about them and they seemed helpful when I was getting the tune installed but when I went back to Ryan (who I was dealing with) I got a little correspondence and then a 'that's all I got' message. I think he assumes it is not anything to do with the tune and that may be the case but there are perhaps better ways to deal with the situation.

Anyway, thanks for your thoughts. I need to get the recall work on the coolant issue done so while it is at the dealer I will ask them to try another bettery to see if that helps.

mcl1003

My 22 Rally started stalling when coming to a stop after I installed V6 and Toce low mount. Ryan was very helpful though, he had some suggestions like resetting throttle adaption, but ultimately he reflashed it for me and reset fuel trims. It still stalled for the first couple rides, but after some more rides and some Indian Carbon Clean, it stopped stalling on me. Not sure exactly what fixed mine, but the carbon clean stuff might be worth a try.

Lance

Hi mcl1003, thanks........I'll give the carbon clean a try.

Ryan did suggest the throttle adaptation reset and I did use it - and it initially helped. but the issues returned and strangely when I've tried it since it sometimes has an effect and at others does not. Go figure........

Thanks for your reply.

edgelett

man that's frustrating. And I can relate to your conversations with Lloydz.
if you have a lithium battery then it seems less likely that is the issue.
Your dealer hasn't flashed your ECU since you got it tuned have they? (and absolutely make sure they DO NOT touch it when you get your coolant junction done)

Blue1

I would be surprised if this issue is the Lloyd's tune, it has been spot-on for my '19 FTR RR.

More likely a dealer f-up.

Lance

Yes, it is frustrating; I love the FTR when it is right but it is horrible when it is off like this........just brought it inside (its going to be raining the rest of the week) to strip it back a little and see if I can see a leak at the intakes or something similar.................FTR_2787.jpeg
man that's frustrating. And I can relate to your conversations with Lloydz.
if you have a lithium battery then it seems less likely that is the issue.
Your dealer hasn't flashed your ECU since you got it tuned have they? (and absolutely make sure they DO NOT touch it when you get your coolant junction done)

Lance

I would be surprised if this issue is the Lloyd's tune, it has been spot-on for my '19 FTR RR.

More likely a dealer f-up.
Hi Blue1,

Yes, I doubt it is the tune either - I'm sure it is something specific to my bike.

Can you confirm for me that your bike runs consistently.............I mean it behaves the same way all the time - the throttle response is consistent, the level of vibration is always the same, etc. It'd be good to know .................thanks.

FTR London

Hi Blue1,

Yes, I doubt it is the tune either - I'm sure it is something specific to my bike.

Can you confirm for me that your bike runs consistently.............I mean it behaves the same way all the time - the throttle response is consistent, the level of vibration is always the same, etc. It'd be good to know .................thanks.
I have had the Lloyd'z V6 bench tune for my 19 (from a licensed garage in the UK) for a year now and yes, the throttle response is very consistent. The throttle hunting is still there to a degree and takes a few minutes to behave from cold, otherwise a complete revelation. The power is very linear, not as peaky, irritable or ferocious as before and it pulls everywhere. No issues whatsoever. Stock, these run better without the cat delete but my Toce low mount full system in tandem with the V6 compensates for that too.

IMG_20230503_174956889_HDR.jpg

vernwood83

I have a 22 base model with the same set up.. Toce low mount and Lloyds V6. I have also had inconsistent throttle response, but most of the time the bike runs flawlessly. It seems to idle too high at times...like it hasn't quite reached operating temp yet. For example, sometimes when coming to a complete stop, it remains at 1400 to 1500 rpm for what seems like 5-10 seconds before dropping to 1200. I intend to have my ecu flashed again in the near future, hopefully to have consistent throttle response again.

Greg

Hello Mate, have you tried running in track mode AND knocking the TC and ABS off. I only say this because I installed 17” wheels on my 2019 Carbon. It’s fantastic from 1st-4th but then the TC cuts in terrible in 5th/6th making it unrideable unless you’re in track mode with these off (it must have confused some sensor somewhere). It’s only when doing this I noticed how much better mine runs with no rider aids and In track. Really smooth, pulls lovely through the rev range. Just a thought mate, maybe give it a try… The only real flaw is messing about knocking everything off every time you start and stop… makes my blood boil!!

Lance

Hello Mate, have you tried running in track mode AND knocking the TC and ABS off. I only say this because I installed 17” wheels on my 2019 Carbon. It’s fantastic from 1st-4th but then the TC cuts in terrible in 5th/6th making it unrideable unless you’re in track mode with these off (it must have confused some sensor somewhere). It’s only when doing this I noticed how much better mine runs with no rider aids and In track. Really smooth, pulls lovely through the rev range. Just a thought mate, maybe give it a try… The only real flaw is messing about knocking everything off every time you start and stop… makes my blood boil!!
Greg, thanks.............I like your thinking! In fact I generally ride I generally ride in track with TC off anyway. I've tried every poss combination to no avail. But it was a good thought - sometimes the simplest solutions work best. Cheers.

Greg - one more thing...........................how did you go about the 17" wheel conversion? Did you order some late FTR wheels or something aftermarket? I'm keen assuming I can get mine sorted out but it also looks a tad pricey.

Last edited:

Lance

I have a 22 base model with the same set up.. Toce low mount and Lloyds V6. I have also had inconsistent throttle response, but most of the time the bike runs flawlessly. It seems to idle too high at times...like it hasn't quite reached operating temp yet. For example, sometimes when coming to a complete stop, it remains at 1400 to 1500 rpm for what seems like 5-10 seconds before dropping to 1200. I intend to have my ecu flashed again in the near future, hopefully to have consistent throttle response again.
Hi Vernwood83 - its a thought. I might contact Lloydz and see if I can send my ECU back and have it flashed again but to be fair, this inconsistency has been the case since prior the flash so unlikely to be the culprit. But I appreciate your thoughts, thanks.

Lance

I would like to thank everyone who tried to help by responding to this thread. I stripped the FTR back to the level required to access the spark plugs and carefully checked every connection and cable and re-torqued the coils after checking plug gaps etc. as well as removing a Healtech quickshifter that had been fitted to the bike by its first owner and it seems for the moment to have resolved the issue. The underlying cause is still a bit of a mystery but assuming it remains as it is now this does seem to have sorted it out. Thanks again to all.

edgelett

thanks for the update - if I was to hazard a guess, I'd say something went haywire with the installation of the Healtech quickshifter and that's the issue.

glad your bike is back to normal and is enjoyable to ride again.