Can we talk air filters?

JonM

How often are we cleaning the air filter? What are we using for cleaning supplies? Or what aftermarket brand are we using? Maybe I can slip in some chain talk too. What’s the best lube? How often? Before or after a ride? Is it a good idea to use these chain cleaning kits and brushes? How often should that be done if so?
Thanks in advance 🤘🏼

DJ121

Oem filters you don’t clean. You replace. Depends on your riding environment. Sprint and k&n make replacement filters you can clean. There is zero performance gain to be had from them.

and I prefer maxima chain wax as it’s clean.

Also depends on your riding environment.
Can you believe that when I took my 22 Carbon in to an Indian Dealership to get the recall done, I asked them would they like to drop in the K&N while they did the recall, and if so how much, they said "2 hours labor" ($175 per hour), so I said no thanks, though my mechanical skills are poor and I usually mess things up, I'll give it a shot. Later on (the 2 hour recall took 4 hours), they said has this bike been tuned since it has the Toce pipe, "why yes it has had the Lloydz tune", she responded with "you know you'll have to retune the bike after you install that K&N filter right?", it was all I could do to keep from laughing..."well, I'll give it a shot" I said lol 😂

Charliemurphay

I use the oem filter and replace it in the spring every year because they are cheap and easy to do. Like others have said, no aftermarket filters provide measurable gains.

As far as chain, I use a rag with kerosene to clean it, and then another rag with mobil 1 gear oil to lube. Works well for me. As far as interval, I like a shiny chain so I clean it when it starts to lose its shine. Works out to about every 500 miles or so.

Breto

Can you believe that when I took my 22 Carbon in to an Indian Dealership to get the recall done, I asked them would they like to drop in the K&N while they did the recall, and if so how much, they said "2 hours labor" ($175 per hour), so I said no thanks, though my mechanical skills are poor and I usually mess things up, I'll give it a shot. Later on (the 2 hour recall took 4 hours), they said has this bike been tuned since it has the Toce pipe, "why yes it has had the Lloydz tune", she responded with "you know you'll have to retune the bike after you install that K&N filter right?", it was all I could do to keep from laughing..."well, I'll give it a shot" I said lol 😂
Fuck me…really…🤦‍♂️

DJ121

Fuck me…really…🤦‍♂️
For real, it was a miscalculation on their part as to my knowledge, which may not be a lot, but I've got a good working knowledge of MC performance, just not so good at working on them :)

Breto

For real, it was a miscalculation on their part as to my knowledge, which may not be a lot, but I've got a good working knowledge of MC performance, just not so good at working on them :)
Mate as Mike said it’s a 20 minute job tops and the addition of the K&N is not going to require a Re tune. I’ve personally always run K&N in all my bikes. For me it’s just being able to say I’ve cleaned and reoiled them so they will be good till the next service. I’ve found them to be a great alternative to chucking and replacing the standard units. But as I always say that’s just me. You now also realise why I will never take my bike to the Team Moto conglomerate after they bought our main dealer out of Brisbane in QLD Australia. No care taken, they don’t listen and they don’t research.

wallycycle

I replace paper air filters on my street bikes every 20k-25K miles. Maybe. When I do, I don't notice any difference in starting, idling, gas mileage, power, engine smoothness etc... after.

I never clean my chains. I lube them with Bel-Ray Super Clean every 1k-2k miles and before a multi-day road trip. I do keep them properly tensioned. I replace the chain/sprocket sets every 10k-13k miles regardless of need with a high quality chain (EK ZVX3). That has been in almost all cases before egregious tight spots develop.

JonM

Great information from everyone. Thank you. For the air filter I’ve always been partial to K&N only because I have them in every other vehicle, past and present. I suppose if there’s no measurable gain I can save myself the cleaning and oiling time by just replacing it with OEM. 🤘🏼

MacBayne

Stick with the OEM filter. Aftermarket filters, in theory, can flow more air... but that means they clean the air less.

Max Kool

Yup agreed. And even if the aftermarket filter flows more air, it doesn't mean the whole airbox flows more air....