Cars can't see us or don't give a shit about us

nailbeater

I was relating to my own incident, what I said was "When the driver got out of the car the only things missing were the floppy shoes, red nose and squirty flower." Were you not a rider rather than a driver and it certainly wasn't you that rear ended me?

I'm not particularly interested in what happened in your circumstance as someone else said it's your fault, nevertheless if your conscience is telling you 'The cap fits' you can go ahead and wear it

nailbeater

It was my fault but you don't know the circumstances behind this accident. I'll take my weight but I don't need you talking down to me. There happened to be a big truck to the left of me that had its blink around like he was going to merge into my lane I looked over at him to see if he was gonna do that and when I looked back this broad had her brakes lacked up And all I could do is grab as much break as I could and I made contact . By the time I hit her I was doing maybe 4 miles an hour But that was enough to create damage to me and my bike it was an unfortunate Accident. Thanks for the care and concern

K9F

I don't need you taking the assumption I was calling you a clown either. Take a bit more time to read what is written.

mark.lb

nailbeater - Don’t be mad at K9F. I took him to mean the clown that ran into his Mini not you...Take care of yourself. Fix your bike. Put the experience in your memory bank for future reference. Ride Safe!

Reactions: K9F

K9F

It's all squared away Mark.lb but I appreciate your sentiment, thank you. It was an emotive and stressful experience for me personally and yes I was very angry at the other driver it is also fresh only having happened two weeks ago. From my perspective it was maddening and infuriating that someone ran into the back of me and in my case totally avoidable had they been paying attention. To add fuel to the fire and make matters worse 30 minutes after me sending the details and photographs to my insurers they decided my vehicle being 13 years old it was beyond economical repair and wanted to write it off as a total loss. I always look after my vehicles and try to keep them in tip top condition. Nevertheless I pointed out it only has 41000 miles on the clock and to find another Mini Cooper in such good condition with similar mileage it was going to cost me a significant amount of money to replace. They yielded and finally agreed to repair it. So much grief when it wasn't my fault. Perhaps I shouldn't have made the comment and it certainly wasn't directed at nailbeater personally.

The damage wasn't that bad as it was a low speed shunt.

IMG_1606.jpg

IMG_1607.jpg

COOPER.jpg

It's a holiday weekend here this weekend and living in a holiday resort I didn't take the bike out far. The roads are always chocked with cars with drivers that are on unfamiliar roads and do stupid things.

mark.lb

Different county, different laws. If someone in the US rear ends you, I don’t think they take the age of your car into consideration. What if the same accident happened if you were driving your 1964 Austin Martin DB 5 (007-Goldfinger)

R. Warshawsky

Very few car drivers see motorcyclists, and we must all be extra careful. I got the big ambulance ride back in 2014, and it was a drag. Ride safe, everyone.

Zilonis

Shit happens man but I'm glad you're ok. Even the most experienced riders are at risk out there and nobody is infallible.

The other day I was on a tight, windy road, approached a fedex van and and followed with ~10-15 car lengths, plenty of room I was just chilling. The driver signaled to turn right (I'm in the US) so I downshifted and took lane position 1 to pass as it appeared he was pulling over or even into an upcoming driveway.

Well go figure, after being pulled off to the right this fine gentleman decides to then turn full left ACROSS BOTH LANES so he could BACK UP into this driveway.

Had to lock the rear, feather the front and slide sideways just enough to adjust trajectory and execute my escape path around the front of the van, going off the pavement ever so slightly in the process.

I made sure to rip a nice burnout once back on the road to let him know I'm resisting stopping my bike and throwing hands.

Lesson Leaned! Assume nothing, be overly cautious at all time.

PS - If you don't already I'd suggest riding with your high-beams on during the day to increase your visibility. I even bought a white helmet recently to be that much more visible. All black looks cool but when there is no contrast you just blend that much more.

edgelett

riding with high beams on during the day will get you pulled over by the cops here.
And honestly, you could be riding in a chicken suit and i promise you car drivers still won't see you.

Max Kool

If the sun is shining bright, I do. If it’s overcast I don’t.

(it’s actually in the CA DMV curriculum)