Cars can't see us or don't give a shit about us

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
Lol yep. You have those who find it extremely annoying and distracting when you have a bike with their high beams on or strobing headlight shining in your rear view mirror in the day or at dawn/dusk. And those who think it’s some how safer.

Zilonis

ahaha It makes you wonder though... would that woman have slammed on her brakes if OP had his high beams on and she was annoyed by it? 🤯

edgelett

The below comes directly from the FTR1200 Owners Manual:
IGNITION/LIGHT KEY SWITCH
Motorcycle riders must remain as visible as possible at all times.
To aid in this, the headlight must be on at all times while operating.

The headlights automatically operate when the engine is running.
Do not modify the ignition/light switch wiring to circumvent the
automatic headlight feature
There is a MASSIVE difference between your headlight being on, and your high beams being on.
Yes, it's usually recommended in a LOT of places to drive/ride with your headlight on when visibility is low.
In my car, whenever it's overcast/raining etc I turn my headlights on.
but the beam direction of a headlight is VERY different to the beam direction of a high beam

The reason I mentioned earlier that here you would get pulled over by the cops for driving/riding with your high beams on during the day is not just cause it 'annoys' other drivers but because the light can actually dazzle/blind them and cause an accident. Your high beams are blaring in to the car in front making it hard for them to see around them, and in to oncoming traffic making it hard for them to see too.
High beams should ONLY be used at night when there are NO OTHER VEHICLES AROUND. and as soon as you see another car/bike/etc coming, you dim them until they pass.
I've been dazzled by high beams in the past which caused me to run off the road and nearly hit a tree.

Everything you quoted up to this point is either a recommendation that the headlight is on (not the high beam) or a 'suggestion' they stay on.
lots of govt suggestions are actually shitty ideas that don't help (like the 'suggestion' here that riders should wear fluro or high vis. I've seen plenty of riders wearing high vis that have still been hit by cars.

edgelett

I mean heck, I had some dude get out of his car at the lights and come and abuse me while i was riding my Honda to work one day (older globe, not LED, high beams not on) and demand I turn my light off because it was 'aimed at his mirror'.
I was trying to explain my light his hard wired on and at the legal required angle and he started to abuse the shit out of me. If it wasn't for the fact a truck driver intervened and told the guy to fuck off, I recon he would have decked me.

so think carefully about whether 'annoying' car drivers is a sensible thing to do.

mcpt1

The best offense is a good defense in my opinion. This may sound slightly sadistic but I find myself watching a LOT of motorcycle YouTube crash compilations. I play a “game” where I try to guess what’s going to happen in each clip to see if I can predict the situation. There are a few surprises but most of the time they are the common scenarios (left turning cars at lights, cars coming into bikes lane, etc…). Riding not necessarily conservatively but at least aware of those situations and not putting yourself in them or being cognizant of when you are will go a long ways to keeping yourself out of trouble. That being said there are still plenty of times where there’s not much you can do to prevent or react and then it’s up to your gear to save your skin.
I do something similar every time I ride, try to predict what will happen, that guy following the other car closely? Likely gonna change lanes soon, that guy just entering the freeway with good speed who has to slow down to merge with the slow lane? not gonna stat in the slow lane very long. Since I've been doing this I cans
say I'm rarely surprised when riding. Not saying it doesn't happen but not often, and that's a good feeling

Charliemurphay

I do something similar every time I ride, try to predict what will happen, that guy following the other car closely? Likely gonna change lanes soon, that guy just entering the freeway with good speed who has to slow down to merge with the slow lane? not gonna stat in the slow lane very long. Since I've been doing this I cans
say I'm rarely surprised when riding. Not saying it doesn't happen but not often, and that's a good feeling
Do it often enough it starts to become automatic reactions and you end up just staying away from everyone like you should lol. I’m the same, find I’m rarely surprised by a situation because I treat everyone like they’re gonna run me over or drop something off in front of me or just generally explode. I keep my distance whether by passing “vigorously” or slowing down and keeping them a good bit in front of me.