Changed the rear sprocket to the FTR 43 tooth

2021C8

Have a new 2022 FTR Carbon as of 2nd week in July. Best looking motorcycle I've ever owned, couldn't resist getting back on a bike even though 3/4 of a century old. Any way, from day one felt the bike was geared to low, first gear was like a tractor gear to me and 4K rpm in 6th gear at 70 mph seemed to buzzy. After searching and calling, the smallest rear sprocket available from anywhere is the 43 tooth Indian puts on the "China" version of the FTR. No one makes a larger drive sprocket as well. Was able to use the standard chain on my 2022 with no other installation issues or problems. Very happy with the results, so much so surprised it doesn't come with the 43 for stateside sales. 70 mph now results in 3800 rpm, 4K is right at 74 mph. First gear is now useable (my opinion) and there is a little more "spacing" between the gears when accelerating, which I also like. Prior to the 43 tooth installation accelerating was more of a shift, shift, shift and shift again; now there is a second or so of pure torque enjoyment before the next upshift is needed. Kinda like when changed from a 4:88 rear gear down to a 4:11 in my old 64 Chev 409 with a M22 4 speed. As a side note live in Utah and ride anywhere from 4500 feet elevation in the valley up to 10,000 feet on some of the mountain passes. This bike has so much torque it handles the 43 tooth with zero complaints from me.

Last edited:

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
Being that the 22 has a smaller diameter tire than the 19. The 45t on the 22 is similar to the 49t on the 19. So you dropping to a 43 and liking it better makes sense