CharlieMurphays FTR

Charliemurphay

Figured I'd add my machine to the pile.
2019 FTR1200S
3rd bike overall, 1st brand new bike. I bought it March 2020 at a discount from the other FTR's it was sitting with because it had been sitting on the showroom for almost a year at that point and they wanted it moved out. Since then, the mod list has been longer than I initially intended, but I think I finally have it right where I want it and I'm not sure what to do next if anything. Maybe the Rekluse Clutch? Might try out a Lloydz bench flash? (Did it) Who knows...

Indian Parts-
RSD Tracker Wheels
RSD Brake Fluid Caps
RSD Frame Sliders
RSD Brake and Shift Levers
RSD Footpegs
RSD Engine Cover
Gilles Radiator Cap
Gilles Oil Cap
Scout Bar End Mirrors
Brake Caliper Lock
Heated Grips (MN Bike)
Clear Tank Grip
2022 Style Radiator Wings
2022 Side Stand and mount

Non Indian Bits-
Rizoma MA006 handlebars
Puig Frame Sliders
Suzuki GSXR Shift Arm
Combustion Industries Signals/Running Lights
Wunderkind; Bar End Mirrors, Chain Guard
R&G; Radiator Guard, Oil Filter Skid Plate
Raximo; Clutch and Brake Levers
ESJOT; 17t Lightweight Front Sprocket, 45t Rear Sprocket
Woodcraft; Swingarm Spool Sliders
Saddlemen; Track CF Seat
NRC; Fender Eliminator/License Plate+Rear Signal Bracket
Vizi-Tec; Brake Light Modulator
S&S; Grand National 2-2 High Mount 50 State Full Exhaust System
Continental; Road Attack 3 tires
Fuel Moto; Dynojet PV3 Tune
Lloydz V6 Bench Flash
@tk-funsport Carbon Fiber ‘22 style Radiator Wings, V Covers, Tank Trim Panel, Battery Box, Frame Trim Piece, Radiator Hose Support
Samco; Silicone Coolant Hose kit
IMG_2180.jpgIMG_2179.jpg

Last edited:

Charliemurphay

It’s not as awful as you’d think. The shields are cerakoted and that is supposed cut down heat transmission. I also upgraded the insulation underneath them to a much thicker material and that also seemed to help. That said they can get uncomfortable if it has been sitting idling for awhile. But honestly I felt more heat off the bike when it had the cat installed still. While moving they are fine.

FTR London

It’s not as awful as you’d think. The shields are cerakoted and that is supposed cut down heat transmission. I also upgraded the insulation underneath them to a much thicker material and that also seemed to help. That said they can get uncomfortable if it has been sitting idling for awhile. But honestly I felt more heat off the bike when it had the cat installed still. While moving they are fine.
I absolutely adore them. Shame about the reported sapping of power. The ultimate system for this bike looks wise (although I do like the Toce low mount). Completely in keeping with the flat track look which I can't comprehend that people want to compromise.

Charliemurphay

Yea that’s why I got them over the Toce; love the look, love the sound. The Toce is too loud for my taste though they look great and the power gains. These sound and look just right. This bike is still fast enough to kill myself on so power loss, meh.

FTR London

Yea that’s why I got them over the Toce; love the look, love the sound. The Toce is too loud for my taste though they look great and the power gains. These sound and look just right. This bike is still fast enough to kill myself on so power loss, meh.
You answered a lot of my questions about them last summer, but I can't recall. Those that I have seen and listened to on You Tube are bloody loud. Have you removed the integral cat system?

Charliemurphay

No the cats are intact. I think that contributes to the heat felt significantly but also provides some sound dampening and doesn’t make them snappy and angry like the Toce or other straight pipes are. They are still plenty dang loud when you give it a wrist-full though.

FTR London

No the cats are intact. I think that contributes to the heat felt significantly but also provides some sound dampening and doesn’t make them snappy and angry like the Toce or other straight pipes are. They are still plenty dang loud when you give it a wrist-full though.
I like snappy and angry

JDigi

I absolutely adore them. Shame about the reported sapping of power. The ultimate system for this bike looks wise (although I do like the Toce low mount). Completely in keeping with the flat track look which I can't comprehend that people want to compromise.

The cool thing about the FTR is it appeals to a wider audience than just flat trackers. I myself have only watched one flat track race on youtube just to see what it was all about. I ordered the '22 FTR carbon because it's basically a sportbike bottom with the 17s and Ohlins, but has the interesting vtwin and some really nice looks along with the more standard riding position. The fact that it was based on a flat tracker was irrelevant to me. Also interesting to note that if they didn't switch to the 17" wheels I would have never even considered the bike when I stumbled across it!

motocroft

The cool thing about the FTR is it appeals to a wider audience than just flat trackers. I myself have only watched one flat track race on youtube just to see what it was all about. I ordered the '22 FTR carbon because it's basically a sportbike bottom with the 17s and Ohlins, but has the interesting vtwin and some really nice looks along with the more standard riding position. The fact that it was based on a flat tracker was irrelevant to me. Also interesting to note that if they didn't switch to the 17" wheels I would have never even considered the bike when I stumbled across it!
Basically my thoughts verbatim.
Loving it.

FTR London

Also interesting to note that if they didn't switch to the 17" wheels I would have never even considered the bike when I stumbled across it!
Which is another example of compromise in favour of the market. Of course they want their bike to sell and I know that I am in the minority for saying this, but that would be one of my reasons for not buying it - but I accept you now have a massive choice of rubber that you wouldn't have on the '19. To me, this bike is very much form over function and that's the appeal...the narrow appeal, despite people's desperate attempts to redress that. It turns heads, it doesn't need to badly mimic or mirror the mass market because its inimitable and stands on its own.

I do understand your points. A road going flat-track racer, aside from regulations and legalities, would be far to narrow in commercial appeal but as I've mentioned before, the pre-launch marketing that suggested a derivation of the latter was utterly disingenuous and borderline deceptive. The monstrosity that lumbered into the showroom was nothing remotely approaching a street tracker, far less, a flat track motorcycle resembling the gorgeous project bike that had created such anticipation and excitement and grabbed the attention of the industry and excitement at the exhibitions and online.

I have devoted too much time to defending this motorcycle to people that simply don't get it. Usually, people questioning why, if you want a sporty V-Twin, you wouldn't buy a cheaper Super Duke or Tuono with more features and higher specifications. When I explain that it's about pedigree and panache over performance - and individuality over mass appeal they look at me blankly. But despite that, we do share something here - it's whatever you want it to be and although I want that to bring out the flat track inception and styling, it doesn't necessarily excel at a single thing, but it does many things well.

So I do recognise your points, but it leads me to question why, if you were completely oblivious to the flat track paradigm, you didn't purchase a more competitively priced package that catered for your sportier needs. And if wider audience was Indian's concern, then why did they create such an ill-mannered, pernickety, temperamental brat (which I love), that they then attempted to dress up and disguise into something that it is not.

I'm in the process of dressing it down so to speak - to obtain a raw and spartan street tacker motorcycle which is going to demand plenty more in the way of money thrown at it. I completely get that other people have different views or objectives, but most time I hear them it strikes me that they bought the FTR by accident, whim or folly. My original comment to Charlie Murphy queried why people feel the need to 'accessorise' in a particular way with this bike? I mean, if hard luggage or adventure was a priority I'd have bought a GS1200 or be looking at a KLR. If a back rest and entertainment was my concern, I'd buy an effin' aspencade. Apple Car TV? Seriously?

noksterism

Which is another example of compromise in favour of the market. Of course they want their bike to sell and I know that I am in the minority for saying this, but that would be one of my reasons for not buying it - but I accept you now have a massive choice of rubber that you wouldn't have on the '19. To me, this bike is very much form over function and that's the appeal...the narrow appeal, despite people's desperate attempts to redress that. It turns heads, it doesn't need to badly mimic or mirror the mass market because its inimitable and stands on its own.
I tracked down a '19 for this reason, instead of just grabbing a new model from the dealership.

Charliemurphay

I installed the Combustion Industries signals/running lights. The front signals also double as running lights (if you want those ones). Much smaller and cleaner look than the Indian signals I had on.

Next I’ll be doing the Suzuki Shift Arm mod to shorten the lever throw.0B49565C-DF77-4FC2-9E25-F5DF8FDFF41D.jpeg0CDFA2C6-57C2-47E1-A231-0E5B5D47D0AB.jpeg16FC5E7A-B3BE-493D-BE10-5D1E0A465FD3.jpeg

Charliemurphay

And shift arm mod complete. I can say just sitting on it (too cold and salty to ride yet) that it definitely makes the gearbox feel more “clicky” and precise. The threading is the same as the stock bolts so I kept the stock bolts instead of the cheap feeling ones it came with. Cheap easy mod that I’m happy with so far. Can’t wait to ride it.
15DD7C9E-7F6E-4AF9-A68B-7F9D29077AEC.jpeg