crap gas cap

mtberbob

One of my biggest problems with my bike has alwasy been the terrible gas cap. It's always a struggle to get the cap off smoothly and is the only bike I've ever had this problem on. the insides of the gas cap are plastic and under spring tension, this is the second time i hae had to repair this crack.

Attachments

• 20220628_094551.jpg
    20220628_094551.jpg
    1,013.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 20220628_094822.jpg
    20220628_094822.jpg
    1,007.8 KB · Views: 21

WorthySK1LLZ

Very Strange!
I've never had an issue with my Gas Cap on my 2022 FTR Rally. Always been smooth to open and close. Closing in around 2k miles, so plenty of fill ups.

mtberbob

Very Strange!
I've never had an issue with my Gas Cap on my 2022 FTR Rally. Always been smooth to open and close. Closing in around 2k miles, so plenty of fill ups.
this is from my 2019 1200s with 10k miles on it now but the first crack was before 1k miles

mtberbob

Have you reached out to your Indian Dealer to see if they've seen anything like it? They might've already fixed the issI havent, im thinking of just machinign the parts out of aluminum and fixing the problem myself

Have you reached out to your Indian Dealer to see if they've seen anything like it? They might've already fixed the issue.
I'm thinking of just machining the inner parts out of aluminum so I don't have to worry about it anymore, right now I fixed the crack with jb weld and it is smoother than ever.

chris

I have a 2019 base and the cap is the same way as you describe. Always a battle getting it off and on. With 9k miles and adding nearly 100 a day (I bought a 2019 leftover in 2021) I'm getting tired of it. Honestly I'd be fine with an aftermarket non-locking solution and might look into it.

mtberbob

I have a 2019 base and the cap is the same way as you describe. Always a battle getting it off and on. With 9k miles and adding nearly 100 a day (I bought a 2019 leftover in 2021) I'm getting tired of it. Honestly I'd be fine with an aftermarket non-locking solution and might look into it.
I have a pretty similar situation where I got a 2019 that had a couple hundred miles on it and i do a little over 100 miles a day and just passed 10k miles. This problem started pretty much right away and was my biggest complaint about the bike. The gas cap seemed like an after thought and it's easy to see how the plastic cracked. I had seen other threads about the gas cap being hard to twist the key in but never saw anyone else have cracked internals. I'd be more than happy with a twist on no locking cap.

MilwDave

It sure would be nice if there was an aftermarket alternative available.
Roland Sands has some very good looking caps that would look great on our bikes.
And a locking gas cap is a pain in the ass and usually the first thing I toss on a new bike.

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
Take measurements and go on aircraft spruce and buy a cap off a piper aircraft. I was going to by my cap eventually loosened up

Max Kool

That not a straight fit right? I understand these work with an expander, but does that sit any flush?

D7CE86D0-942D-4D47-A498-DE87B57808A2.jpeg

FTR London

My FTR is the only one of my five bikes that requires a key.
I suppose I’ve gotten so used to not having to carry a key that I now find it to be an annoyance.
You'll find it's also quite handy when you want to start the thing up.

D

Deleted member 706

Since 1992 the Trident has a key for the gas cap IMG_20191212_133827.jpg

FTR London

I have keyless fobs for the others.
A physical key is becoming a thing of the past.
It is. But we're talking about the Indian FTR here. That key to unlock your tank you mentioned - you'll find it comes in handy for something else.