Crossing Australia on an electric bike

edgelett

Interesting article. Good on him for giving it a go.
You'll note however the same trip on a petrol bike took only 4 days.
Personally, knowing those roads, that's a monumental effort and would involve pretty much not sleeping a lot and going hell for leather at high speed the whole way
Doing it at legal speeds, with rest, would be more like a week.
doing it at legal speeds and actually looking at anything on the way, more like 10 days ish.

the LiveWire took 21 days. so yeah a much longer trip but sounds like he's really enjoying himself which is what it's all about.

Retiree's historic quest to ride electric motorcycle from Perth to Sydney - ABC News

Max Kool

“so I sat on 65kph for the whole time and when I arrived at Kimba, the battery was down to 3 per cent”

I got serious anxiety just reading this…

edgelett

“so I sat on 65kph for the whole time and when I arrived at Kimba, the battery was down to 3 per cent”

I got serious anxiety just reading this…
haha yeah same. metro Australia is no dramas but regional Australia is a whole other ball game.
That stretch over the Nullabor is hundreds of kms of sweet FA.
people have gotten stranded in petrol cars/bikes due to the distance and no supplies.
this dude has serious coconuts.

kiwi dave

people have gotten stranded in petrol cars/bikes due to the distance and no supplies.
this dude has serious coconuts.

I rode around Victoria on a carburetted Triumph 650 just before the Covid-19 lockdown.

I got as far west as Port Lincoln before deciding to start heading back east. I had already ran out of petrol once, and didn't want to do it again.

What I discovered is that I couldn't rely on Google Maps to find gas stations, as many had since closed down. Many anxious moments.