Cupcake's FTR

cupcake_mike

Got my FTR about 6 weeks ago and haven't done much except ride it (at 2k now). Got tired of hitting my leg on the bumper and i had a couple hours to myself today, so i built a tail tidy.

I took a couple pieces of 3/16x1" steel strapping and welded, bent and drilled some holes in it. I reused the stock backing plate from the bumper (flipped upside down, had to swap the turn signals so they flashed on the right side), after removing and trimming the reflectors, and the bolts that held it to the swingarm. I tapped the 3 holes in my bracket to allow me to bolt the backing plate to it. A few cans of rattle can flat black, rerouted the wiring and bolted it up to the rear "accessory" mount holes. No money was spent to make it.

20200824_210821.jpgIMG_20200824_215616_396.jpgIMG_20200824_215616_395.jpg20200824_210905.jpg

Last edited:

cupcake_mike

The post man was kind to me this week, some R&G bling from across the pond, with a little aeromach sprinkled in...

And a little preview of coming attractions...20200827_151925.jpg20200827_151930.jpg20200827_152019.jpg20200827_151952.jpg

Last edited:

edgelett

oooh!! I really like that radiator guard!
Where did you order that from?

(I have one that says 'Hornet'on my Hornet and have been looking for one that says FTR)

K9F

1870-3f4f12fb62cf3f01e7a87c02fb9d7de5.jpg

I too have the R & G stainless steel guard and was initially a little disappointed in the large gap clearly visible in the picture at the lower edge. A little bit of trial and error and I got there. I had a spare Land Rover rear door seal lying around in the garage. I cut two lengths from it, one for the top of the guard and another for the lower edge. This pushed the top edge out and lower in so the gap disappeared and made it a perfect fit.

R&G3.jpg

S2Davies

View attachment 1871

I too have the R & G stainless steel guard and was initially a little disappointed in the large gap clearly visible in the picture at the lower edge. A little bit of trial and error and I got there. I had a spare Land Rover rear door seal lying around in the garage. I cut two lengths from it, one for the top of the guard and another for the lower edge. This pushed the top edge out and lower in so the gap disappeared and made it a perfect fit.

View attachment 1872
I like that idea........and I've got some Landy door seal in the shed! Good to see your back with us K9F, I thought you'd disappeared on us 😊

K9F

I like that idea........and I've got some Landy door seal in the shed! Good to see your back with us K9F, I thought you'd disappeared on us 😊

Nah, not yet, too many jobs on the go at home and trying to get out on the bikes whilst the weather is still good. Just had a week down in Cornwall with the bike. Unforgiving roads with high dry stone walled narrow lanes, need to keep your wits about you.
Nice to give the forums a rest for a while too, sometimes, just sometimes there can be too much ‘willy waving’ going on! Not into peeing competitions. Apologies to lady members.

Time for another hook up perhaps?

cupcake_mike

Over the last few months i've:

Built some bag racks and a 1 gal fuel can holder (full details over in the mods section)

Deleted stock indicators and wired in small rectangular ones with 20 ohm resistors and factory ends to play nice with the stock electronics.

Deleted stock mirrors and added a single left side napoleon bar end mirror

Swapped to a saddlemen GP-V1 seat

Cut down the stock levers to 2 finger length.

Picked up a racefit growler and PV3 from lloyds, though I probably won't do anything with them til the warranty is up. The bike has broken-in very nicely and I have zero complaints about its start-up or riding manners.

Dunlop TrailSmarts front and rear in stock sizes (got 2500 miles out of the stock rear and 5500 out of the stock front). The rear is showing about 60% tread left at 3500 miles, not too shabby. Currently sitting at about 6k miles on the bike, purchased right at 6 months ago.

I'm pursuing drop pegs from Knight Design but they currently only produce them in a "wide" style with about an inch drop, I'm trying my best to get them to crank out a few sets in a 2" drop narrow style. I'll update the group if I can make that happen, though the stock shifter linkage may not support it.

IMG_20210117_114715_865.jpg

IMG_20210117_114715_859.jpg

20210117_113749.jpg20210117_144415.jpg20210116_221553.jpg

20210117_105408.jpg

Last edited:

Blue1

You are not concerned with gasoline in an exposed plastic container inches from your back on a street bike?

You are not concerned with gasoline in an exposed plastic container inches from your back on a street bike?
Shoot I see ADV guys with tanks on either side of their bikes. It's designed to be shatter proof; plus it's PLASTIC so ideally there are no sparks to be created if one were to fall off or get hit. Considering the FTR 1200's have a gas tank Rights behind your butt, don't think it's any less safe than that.

MilwDave

Here is another option from Iron Optics (Germany) I have installed on mine:

View attachment 1886View attachment 1885

I would like to order that radiator guard but I cannot decipher the German on the website.