Dashboard clock running fast

kiwi dave

Today, I brought my FTR1200S out of storage. It has been sitting there for just over three months.

She started instantly, but then I noticed the time-of-day clock was running about 5 hours fast. Hmmm, dunno how that happened, I'll take her home and try to diagnose what's going wrong.

As soon as it was out of the garage, the time miraculously came right. I guess it couldn't see any geostationary satellites when it was cooped up inside.

I would expect a few minutes tolerance, but five hours? Seems excessive.

Max Kool

I’ve seen the same last week. Like multiple hours off. I wouldn’t be surprised if it defaults to GMT time zone (or East Coast US??) when it can’t get a gps lock.

The actual “clock” may be running Unix time for all I know.

It was fixed within a few hundred yards btw.

Last edited:

edgelett

yeah I'm thinking it defaults to GMT time zone given that NZ are I think GMT+5 (or something similar)

cupcake_mike

I’ve seen the same last week. Like multiple hours off. I wouldn’t be surprised if it defaults to GMT time zone (or East Coast US??) when it can’t get a gps lock.

The actual “clock” may be running Unix time for all I know.

It was fixed within a few hundred yards btw.

Wait, the tft has gps for the clock? That seems silly. Also even more annoying that they wouldn't put directions/maps on the display, if that's the case. Or is it that the display "talks" to your phone and uses it's gps to change the clock?

I have the base so my clock is adjusted manually.

Max Kool

Yup. There’s a GPS receiver in the dash. And timezone tables.

Some guy hacked the dash two years ago and even made navigation functional.

kiwi dave

I wouldn’t be surprised if it defaults to GMT time zone (or East Coast US??) when it can’t get a gps lock.

I think you've hit the nail on the head, Max. East Coast USA is five hours ahead (and 24 hours behind) NZ Daylight Savings Time.

Max Kool

It wasn’t as simple as inserting a thumb drive, and rebooting the dash. Some serious hardware hacking was required.

It should be buried somewhere in the big Indian forum afaik.