Don't go 101%....

Max Kool

Sharing this, so we can all learn from mistakes and stupid behavior. So my group of riding friends has a "rule" we're never going over 90%.

My buddies and I were out riding the canyons the other day. Very familiar ground, we ride there every weekend, always in Track mode, traction control doesn't like these roads much and makes the throttle feel sluggish. The moment we were about to head down Tuna Canyon, a steep, very twisty downhill one-way road, up to 18% gradient, a few guys one which which known as being a bragger at The Rock Store, zipped past us and -apparently- all bets were off. Helmets/gloves on, and down we went. To "teach them".

(fuking kids we were)

So, while barreling down Tuna right after we passed them, I found myself braking into a left downhill switchback with my toes touching the tarmac and lost the front wheel… the front wheel tucked inside and I though, "well ok, I fucked up..." . Instinctively (?) I let got of the front brake a tad, shifted my weight to the right and pushed the bike down to clear the rock wall that was coming closer on the right. Magically the bike recovered…

We all lived happily ever after and the rest of the day I felt really dialed-in. But that was 101%. On a track I would have been proud to have found the limit and only go over it this much…

Don't do 101%, 90 is enough.

Last edited:

Breto

Yep sentiments echoed mate…glad you came through that. Bet it got the ol sphincter muscle working…😎

Max Kool

Tbh, not at all. It felt more like a whispered “Oh, watch out Max”.

Been riding offroad for years, and in dirt you get used to it. Happens all the time. It was minutes later when I realized what actually happened and how close it was.

Breto

Tbh, not at all. It felt more like a whispered “Oh, watch out Max”.

Been riding offroad for years, and in dirt you get used to it. Happens all the time. It was minutes later when I realized what actually happened and how close it was.
I’ve always said that people should spend at least 12 months or more in the dirt before they attempt riding on road. I’m the same mate, been riding since I was 4 and all that dirt experience certainly helps with the way you instinctively act when faced with a sudden problem or situation. I don’t know how many times over my riding time when I’ve just done some thing I used to do on dirt, on road and it’s saved my bacon every time. 👍😎

Helge

Thanks for sharing your experience and glad that you´re ok after 🙏

Sometimes we have a tricky experience to come back to the ground

R. Warshawsky

Sharing this, so we can all learn from mistakes and stupid behavior. So my group of riding friends has a "rule" we're never going over 90%.

My buddies and I were out riding the canyons the other day. Very familiar ground, we ride there every weekend, always in Track mode, traction control doesn't like these roads much and makes the throttle feel sluggish. The moment we were about to head down Tuna Canyon, a steep, very twisty downhill one-way road, up to 18% gradient, a few guys one which which known as being a bragger at The Rock Store, zipped past us and -apparently- all bets were off. Helmets/gloves on, and down we went. To "teach them".

(fuking kids we were)

So, while barreling down Tuna right after we passed them, I found myself braking into a left downhill switchback with my toes touching the tarmac and lost the front wheel… the front wheel tucked inside and I though, "well ok, I fucked up..." . Instinctively (?) I let got of the front brake a tad, shifted my weight to the right and pushed the bike down to clear the rock wall that was coming closer on the right. Magically the bike recovered…

We all lived happily ever after and the rest of the day I felt really dialed-in. But that was 101%. On a track I would have been proud to have found the limit and only go over it this much…

Don't do 101%, 90 is enough.
Me, I stick with 9%...glad you're ok!