Dropped her

DeplorableOne

Doesn't your mobile phone do video recordings? A GoPro might produce better pictures, but videos on a modern mobile is more than adequate.
For sure it does, but I have killed two cameras on the rokform mount so I no longer use it. I figure with a GoPro I'll run a chinmount on the helmet and just record constantly. Smaller and easier than my gigantic note 20 Ultra. The issue I have is since it happens very randomly unless I'm recording 24/7 I won't capture it. I've been recording every single start since. I do think the oil change I gave it changed something cause it was a little sticky shifting it, I changed the oil and it's been silky smooth since....

Breto

Ongoing back and forth dealer tried blaming my nrc tail tidy and won't do anything about it said they can't reproduce the problem. It's been intermittent. Anyone got a direct line to Polaris?
Fitting a tail tidy has absolutely no bearing on the problem that has been warranted before for other owners. That’s just ridiculous. Your dealer needs a kick up the ass. And I can’t believe Polaris are backing it. That sux balls man 😡

DeplorableOne

Yeah, I'm pretty irritated at the whole situation. As a former automotive tech, I don't like throwing techs under the bus, but we all know the type. If the scan tool doesn't say it, they're lost...

Breto

I’m not surprised mate…it irritates me hearing the story buddy…just fucked really…Polaris need a rocket mate…threaten them with consumer affairs mate, see what happens then. Even take it up with the ombudsman.

FTR London

So...I'll take some partial responsibility, but it wasn't my fault. Sounds like it's a common issue with these bikes. Anyway, I went to the store last night, rode the FTR. When I come out to hop back on I did my typical key on, switch on, wait for the fuel pump, make sure I see a green N and then hit the start switch to let it warm up for a minute or so... this time, with he side stand down and the bike showing a bright green N on the display she just took off on me. Now luckily I had my hand on the clutch side but she bucked like a bronco and I barely wasn't able to save her. Barely bent the rear brake and scuffed up my barend mirror, but no other damages. I mean I laid it down as gently as I could using one arm on a 500+ pound bike. Did some digging and I'm thinking this has to do with the gear position switch that a lot of people have been having issues with. I just could not believe the stand being down and no clutch didn't keep it from trying to start, even IF it thought it was in gear. Reminds me of the remote starters in manual transmissions I used to do, clutch bypass I guess...
I absolutely sympathise with this having many years ago launched a GS550 into a flowerbed - difference being, the fact that I started the bike in gear was my negligence and partially a consequence of the sidestand cut off switch not working. To be sure, as has been suggested here, to be sat on the bike when you start it but I get that you were warming it up. Irrespective of the 'green light' I always leave my bikes in gear knowing I need to physically select neutral before I start them. I've had this topple over just the once owing to the ridiculously long sidestand and the fact I was wrestling with the integral disc lock at the time - fortunately (depending on which way you look at it) - I was underneath it when it fell.

FTRUK

Mine fell over as it was running to warm up while in my garage on a concrete floor.
Minor damage but still had to replace bar end indicator and replace clutch lever.
I had walked down the lane to open the gate and could hear it stall as it fell over.
Only bike i have EVER owned ,having this episode happen to it.Side stand is too long.
I think it must have vibrated itself up against the garage door floor weather strip and knocked itself off, if not ,I don’t know.But it’s never comfortable feeling walking away from this model when you park it, it’s too upright With the long stand.
I know one thing for sure that Indian staff read this forum (fact)
so what ever you say they know full well about it.

FTR London

Mine fell over as it was running to warm up while in my garage on a concrete floor.
Minor damage but still had to replace bar end indicator and replace clutch lever.
I had walked down the lane to open the gate and could hear it stall as it fell over.
Only bike i have EVER owned ,having this episode happen to it.Side stand is too long.
I think it must have vibrated itself up against the garage door floor weather strip and knocked itself off, if not ,I don’t know.But it’s never comfortable feeling walking away from this model when you park it, it’s too upright With the long stand.
I know one thing for sure that Indian staff read this forum (fact)
so what ever you say they know full well about it.
I cut out an inch section from mine and re-welded it. I was talking to someone that parked one of these outside a pub, went up to the bar - queued, bought a drink and some food, came outside and was reading a magazine when they heard a crash...the entire beer garden grimaced and groaned as the bike lay on its side some twenty minutes after pulling up on it.

Every time I used to leave the thing I'd worry about a butterfly unfurling its wings on the other side of the planet.

I am utterly unable to comprehend what the design team were thinking of and why no one identified the sidestand as an issue.

DeplorableOne

I'm gonna throw another update on this after having multiple dealers say "no problem found" literally just did it tonight on my ride to the gym. Caught it and pulled in the clutch this time. Left the code up and haven't cleared it P0915 gear position sensor. Now to try and get Polaris to find the old records since I just ran out of warranty...

Charliemurphay

Gear position sensor was a relatively common issue early on as I recall, to the point to where they couldn’t keep them in stock online.

mark.lb

I've had that several times with the Ducati models. Because of this or because of experience, I always have the clutch pulled when starting and I never let go of the clutch quickly, even if the lamp indicates idle. When starting, the clutch is always pulled and a finger on the brake is worth gold.
The bike I have owned the longest is my 1977 Yamaha XS750-2D. It has no safety switch on the side stand and if you try you can easily find false neutrals between gears. (Green N on speedometer lights but bike is still in gear.) The bike will gladly lurch forward anytime you hit the start button. As a result - I instinctively ONLY hit the start button on any motorcycle after I am seated on the bike with the clutch pulled in. You can then hop back off once the bike is running and everything is OK to fix zippers, gloves, glasses, etc while it warms up. Sometimes old school is best school.

DeplorableOne

The bike I have owned the longest is my 1977 Yamaha XS750-2D. It has no safety switch on the side stand and if you try you can easily find false neutrals between gears. (Green N on speedometer lights but bike is still in gear.) The bike will gladly lurch forward anytime you hit the start button. As a result - I instinctively ONLY hit the start button on any motorcycle after I am seated on the bike with the clutch pulled in. You can then hop back off once the bike is running and everything is OK to fix zippers, gloves, glasses, etc while it warms up. Sometimes old school is best school.
Yeah, that is my usual from riding older bikes. But I got lazy just one time and this happened. Now it did it last night while at a stop light. Was sitting in neutral waiting for the light to change(I know not MSF correct, lol), heard a couple dings/clacks and pulled the clutch in right as it started to lurch forward. It was as if it just fell into gear, neutral light still on.