Front Brake Travel

mtFTRnh

I like to have the least amount of travel possible on my front brake… in part because I like to ride with one or two fingers on the brake. Unfortunately, my lever has to move quite a bit before I can feel the brake bite. As it is, the lever has to be adjusted all the way out for there to be enough space for the lever to pull the cable enough to get the brake to engage.

I asked my dealer to do something about it…which ended up being nothing at all. ???

How to fix this …especially since there isn’t a cable adjustment at the lever? Can it be improved? Does your brake lever have this much travel?

Max Kool

First of all, what is your reference? The lever travel shouldn't be more than any other modern motorcycle. Did you compare your bike with another FTR?

There's a few things you can do;

- bleed the brake fluid (should be done every two years anyway, and the OEM fluid looked very syrupy after one year on mine)
- align the calipers
- install pads with more bite (EBC HH or Brembo SC for instance)

Good luck, keep us posted

mtFTRnh

The bike has the longest throw of any motorcycle I’ve ever owned. This is the only FTR I’ve ever seen…so can’t compare.

If you measure the movement near the brake’s pivot pin….it’s almost a half inch gap before the brake slows the bike. The movement at the very end of the brake lever is about 2”…and I have Raximo Shorty levers. (This issue existed before I put the new levers on.) Geometry would tell us the measurement from there would be greater with the OEM lever.

Max Kool

I have less than an inch at the end of the lever (next to the ball end) when it engages. Pulling it a full inch is stoppie time.

About the same as on my other bike with a Brembo master cylinder.

mtFTRnh

Man…that is so much shorter a throw than mine! F’in dealer should have caught this after I complained.

I just bled the brakes. No improvement. There weren’t any bubbles coming out during the bleed… and I followed directions from multiple YouTube sites. What else might be up?

Charliemurphay

What method of bleeding did you use? I highly recommend a vacuum bleeder as it will actively pull any air out of your system. There could still be some trapped in the system even if there were no bubbles continuously coming out. Did you bleed the master cylinder too?

mtFTRnh

^^^^ I bled from each disk. I’ll have to read up about bleeding the master cylinder… and about vacuum systems. Thanks for the response, Charlie! You too Max!

Max Kool

Did you bleed the master cylinder too?
^^ this is a good tip. Sometimes a little air pocket collects right under the master cylinder bleed nipple.

That's literally 30 seconds work. Even less. Slightly loosen the nipple while slowly squeezing the lever, and close the nipple before letting the lever go. Repeat twice, done.

mtFTRnh

Yup!!! Bleeding the master cylinder did it. I can position the lever as close to the bar as I want and still have full brake engagement. Thanks again, Charlie and Max!

Why on earth would a dealership not fix this during 500 mile check up…especially when told about it??? But, once again, it shows the value of doing things yourself…with a little help from internet friends!