Front Fork

SURGEFTR

Well spotted as usual.

Considered getting the base model ones, but didn't want to downgrade - also didn't want to fork out on new ones (sorry).

Beautifully machined and fit like a glove. Saved a huge amount of dough.
you are now part of the "not to keen on the Fauxlins" club. I did a similar nutty swap as max did, but went with GP cartridges in black base legs instead of Mupo. Sold my Fauxlins to a base rider that's very happy with that upgrade. Everyone wins!

Attachments

• IMG_9187.jpg
    IMG_9187.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 30

FTR London

you are now part of the "not to keen on the Fauxlins" club. I did a similar nutty swap as max did, but went with GP cartridges in black base legs instead of Mupo. Sold my Fauxlins to a base rider that's very happy with that upgrade. Everyone wins!
Thanks for that. Looks brilliant - I'm impressed. Out of my price range for the time being I'm afraid...other priorities. I have a friend that installed a Kraus kit on his Harley - expensive but so worth it. In the case of the FTR, I think that the black looks so much better and more imposing than the gold.

Tombo66

My 2019 FTR1200S measures 13 mm. I can't recall ever adjusting it, so I have to assume it was like this from the factory.

Since the FTR is such a tall bike for me, there would be advantages increasing this measurement. However, past experience tells me the bike may become unstable.

Basically, I'm too chicken!
Hey Kiwi, Be brave and make some adjustments!

Background: I was a road racer for years and know a fair amount suspension setup.

I can tell you my first impression of this bike hard it pulls, but my second impression was how slow the bike is to turn in. Anyone planning on getting aggressive in the twisties should definitely consider raising the fork tubes upward. I have mine 3.2 mm from the bottom of the handlebars and feel much more confident that I could enter corners at higher speeds and have the maneuverability to hit the planned corner entry point. It’s a mild change as far as the drive ability goes, and still VERY stable in straight lines.

Other random thoughts on this topic:
1) more weight on your front tire has a lot of control benefits, turn in, braking, your body weight / position all improved, for more aggressive riding, by effectively lowering your handlebars. Also makes it less likely to wheelie.

2) if your bike is following gaps / cracks in the road, it has more to do with the tire and it’s tread pattern. I personally am changing over to road tires on my 2019.
3) my setup above is on my 2019 FTR 1200 s with original 18 / 19 inch rims and stock tires.
4) lastly, proper suspension setup can greatly improve turn in and Corning as well. There is a thread out here that describes compression, preload, and dampening set up based on rider style that is spot on IMHO so check it out if you haven’t. The stock suggestions have the bike set up very stiff and has the front forks riding very high in the stroke.

2 cents added :)

kiwi dave

I have mine 3.2 mm from the bottom of the handlebars ....
I tried to measure mine from the bottom of the handlebars, but found the measurement too vague.

How high are the top of the forks above the top yoke? Mine are currently 12 mm above the top yoke. How much further do you think I should raise 'em?

FTR London

I tried to measure mine from the bottom of the handlebars, but found the measurement too vague.

How high are the top of the forks above the top yoke? Mine are currently 12 mm above the top yoke. How much further do you think I should raise 'em?
Not sure, but I can advise you on future adjustment to that shade of green font.

Tombo66

I have almost exactly 4 lines showing on the shock tube above the yoke. I will try and post a pick later, but I am guessing you maybe have 2 lines showing

kiwi dave

I have almost exactly 4 lines showing on the shock tube above the yoke. I will try and post a pick later, but I am guessing you maybe have 2 lines showing
Yep, two lines showing.

Yesterday, I visited the local Indian shop, and measured the amount of fork above the top yoke on three new bikes in the showroom. They were all the same @ 12mm, same as my bike.

I'm inclined to leave it where it is, as I believe that increasing of the amount will make the bike on the side stand less stable.

Gonna procrastinate on this for a while .....

Tombo66

I agree the kickstand in general has the bike sitting too upright. Makes me wonder what they do for a kickstand on the Replica models that have 17" rims on them

SURGEFTR

I agree the kickstand in general has the bike sitting too upright. Makes me wonder what they do for a kickstand on the Replica models that have 17" rims on them
the 2022 with 17" wheels has a shorter kickstand. Many have modded there 2019-21 kickstands to be shorter by cut and weld while others have installed the 2022 kickstand to their bikes. However, there is a certain production range that makes this impossible I believe. Maybe someone can chime in at this point

SURGEFTR

Charliemurphay

the 2022 with 17" wheels has a shorter kickstand. Many have modded there 2019-21 kickstands to be shorter by cut and weld while others have installed the 2022 kickstand to their bikes. However, there is a certain production range that makes this impossible I believe. Maybe someone can chime in at this point
Beware that if you are going to install a 2022 Kickstand on your 2019, you WILL need the Kickstand Mount from the 2022 as well. They are the same part number as the 2019’s but they are slightly different and if you don’t swap the mount too, the 2022 kickstand will fold forward on the 2019 mount and be unusable.

SURGEFTR

Beware that if you are going to install a 2022 Kickstand on your 2019, you WILL need the Kickstand Mount from the 2022 as well. They are the same part number as the 2019’s but they are slightly different and if you don’t swap the mount too, the 2022 kickstand will fold forward on the 2019 mount and be unusable.
That was the info I was missing. Knew there was a catch. Thanks dude! Hopefully it helps someone out

Staedtler

Depends on the MY19. My bracket has the correct boss on it so was a straight swap for the MY22, it appears earlier MY19’s didn’t have the extra cast boss which meant the kickstand went over centre.

SURGEFTR

Depends on the MY19. My bracket has the correct boss on it so was a straight swap for the MY22, it appears earlier MY19’s didn’t have the extra cast boss which meant the kickstand went over centre.
and this was the other bit of info I've been eluding to. There was some sort of production switch that made some stands work and others not. Just trying to revive this for anyone interested in modding the stance of their bikes on the stand.

Charliemurphay

Correct. Copied and pasted the post I made when I did the swap showing the difference between the two mounts. If your mount has the extra “boss” material hump, then you are good just swapping the stand.

Alright, putting this to rest once and for all….

I got the new stand mount (ordered a 2022 one to be sure). Here is a side-by-side comparison of the early 2019 mount (left) and the 2022 mount (right)…

1648338517465.jpeg

As you can see, the 2022 mount has the aforementioned “hump” while the 2019 one does not. These parts have the same part number even though they are obviously different.

Here is the mount and shorter side-stand successfully mounted on my 2019…

So for 2019 owners wanting to make this switch to the shorter 2022 side stand, if your mount does not have this hump, the 2022 stand WILL NOT FIT your bike and you will also have to order the 2022 side stand mount.

SURGEFTR

Correct. Copied and pasted the post I made when I did the swap showing the difference between the two mounts. If your mount has the extra “boss” material hump, then you are good just swapping the stand.

Alright, putting this to rest once and for all….

I got the new stand mount (ordered a 2022 one to be sure). Here is a side-by-side comparison of the early 2019 mount (left) and the 2022 mount (right)…

View attachment 5949

As you can see, the 2022 mount has the aforementioned “hump” while the 2019 one does not. These parts have the same part number even though they are obviously different.

Here is the mount and shorter side-stand successfully mounted on my 2019…

So for 2019 owners wanting to make this switch to the shorter 2022 side stand, if your mount does not have this hump, the 2022 stand WILL NOT FIT your bike and you will also have to order the 2022 side stand mount.
You're awesome. I remember the post. I bet lots of new people would appreciate the info. All of this greatness got lost when the 2 facebook groups disappeared. It's a real shame. So much great tech info and resources were lost leaving many new people needing advice all over again.

Last edited: