FTR 1200, it's turning into a love hate thing...

mark.lb

I own two Indian motorcycles (FTR and Vintage). Both come from the factory (in the USA) with a SAE connector that allows easy attachment of a battery charger/tender or a port to plug in accessories.
First the FTR:
B6C82F5B-AE54-4422-8328-556B00953B86.jpeg925C8187-652C-4BBF-A520-BF6A567FEB58.jpegAs you can see the polarity of the connector is clearly indicated on the FTR but no colored wires are visible.
The same is not true on the Chief Vintage:5C2DB012-7AEC-4799-8B84-C6B1CFFB9F87.jpeg65F02BFB-1A11-4AC2-BD20-C720B0CFA989.jpegAs you can see the polarity is not stamped into the connector and the positive side has a female pin attached to a white wire with a red stripe.
However: On both bikes the positive side is a female pin on the SAE connector attached to the bike. I hope this is helpful.

D

Deleted member 706

Today's wake up call was a simple one.
I hadn't reset the clock after refitting the battery, so the "check engine" light comes on, out with the manual and it clearly says the clock must be reset after fitting the battery, all good now.
Love this 21st Century shit...

D

Deleted member 706

Much as I like my FTR I haven't had the greatest experience as an Indian customer, from the initial prolonged delay getting the bikes to the market to the changes of dealerships and the unpleasant experience of going to one of the dealers, it's fair to say I'm a bit disgruntled.

Some of my dealership experience is over here:

fukKIWI

Aug 10, 2021

So the update is that the bike got a new battery. I called up to find out the receptionist put me on hold came back to me and told it was new battery and it was available for pick up. I thought that was a bit distant as I didn't get the opportunity to talk to the workshop guys, and that she was a bit dismissive.
Today I followed up with scan of the invoices for a 2 X oil change kits and service work at my local independent workshop. No where on the new dealerships site is there an email address so I filled in a contact form and got a call back soon after. The guy on the phone explained to me what was happening and and then asked if I knew about the invoice! I thought this was a warranty and that the Roadside assist was part of that package. No apparently it's not, apparently the onus was on me to tell them that I was looking for "WARRANTY" assistance when I called from out on the road!!! I told hime the dealer principal had queried me about the oil change kits and who did the servicing, remember there was no local dealership at the time. The principal called me back and started out sying that the other guy told him him that he'd said it was a warranty job, I had to pull him up on that. I told him that since he'd asked me about the potentila warranty void that it was understood that this was warranty claim. He's going to submit a warranty claim with Indian HQ.
This might turn out to be the most expensive battery I've ever bought but if that's so it will worth every cent. If they stuff me around it will the last time I have anything to do with them and I won't be waiting another 3 months to to put the Fuel Moto tune and Bassani pipe on it, it will be my bike and unemcumbered by the big brother call warranty. I'm so tempted to tell them that the warranty is about to be voided by Bassani and Fuel Moto...
It could be a lesson well learnt, I guess the didn't just stumble on the nickname of Stealerships, fucking warranties are two edged blade which they wield. This is the closest to a brand new bike I've ever had, I always thought I wanted one but now I'm having second thoughts. I can parts from elsewhere, Melbourne or Tamworth.
A local car dealer advertised "Choose your dealer before you choose your car" now that's something to think about if I ever do buy a brand new bike.
Just what would I get if I went for the new option, complete with the warranty caveat.
To be continued...

I must add that I am really happy with Indian Mandurah, who are over 100 K's from home.

D

Deleted member 706

From over there:
Max Kool said:

Why change coolant? 50:50 does a perfect job.
Basically I want to distance myself from Indian, now that I'm free from the warranty, so I have a K&N oil filter on the shelf and I'm shopping around for a 15W-60 oil and I'll also be looking at the options for coolant. The workshop I use are happy with Motul and recommend it.
I've got the FTR set up pretty much as I like it now so I won't be needing much more for it. I'd love to put a seat cowl on it but won't because of the cost of the carbon fibre one which I'd paint anyway.. I have FLO foot pegs on my FXR and I'm thinking about putting then on the FTR, in short aftermarket suppliers are my preferred suppliers.
Apart from the Chief the FTR is the only Indian I'd consider buying. As I'm in my late 60's my next bike is likely to be lower and lighter than previous bikes, the FTr will be my main ride until then.
As a footnote the dealer I don't like has opened a shop quite close to me, not far from my independent workshop.

D

Deleted member 706

The Roller Coaster ride called the FTR continues:

After an initial assessment there's a very long list of minor damage to many parts of the bike, combine this with the fact that my insurer has put the bike in the hands of, arguably, the most expensive paint & panel shop in town there's a strong chance that the bike will be deemed to be a "repairable write off" certainly not a "statutory write off". The former can be re- registered while the latter can not.
I'm actually hoping that it's going to be a statutory write off because I can live with scratched and dinged bits that don't affect its roadworthiness and pocket the cash difference after doing a budget repair job. It's a bit sad and ironic that this should happen when I finally got the bike set up & running the way I want it.
I'm faced with quite flow chart of options here. If it's repaired, that's great back to a bike I'm at last happy with, if not as above or simply take the money and look forward. I already have some cash from the sale of the 100th Anniversary Scout so I can plan ahead.
For some time now I've ummed and aah'd about selling my H-D FXR, this is still an option. If the FXR were to be sold it'd leave me with 2 Triumphs, one being the museum bound X-75 Hurricane.
The FXR is the best bike I ever had, according to my heart.
The T300 Trident is the best bike I ever had, according to my head!
The FTR is the most perplexing, good and bad, definitely not ugly!
Remember Doris Day?
Que sera, sera...
This coming week should see some sort of progress from the insurer and repairer.