FTR AS ROAD RACER

Tripack

Anyone knowing about this swingarm?
RSD did and sold a CroMo shorter custom version for the FTR (still used by #1 and #99 btw, I think...), but not available anymore...
This one is something looking way more refined...?! RDS also?
Bobby Fong #50

Attachments

• Super-Hooligan-custom swingarm.jpg
    Super-Hooligan-custom swingarm.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 20
  • Bobby Fong FTR.jpg
    Bobby Fong FTR.jpg
    232.3 KB · Views: 20

MMC

-Hi MMC, who makes those (beautiful) adjustable offset triple clamps? Range of offset vs. stock?
-Did anyone try to have the 22-23 OEM rear Ohlins made longer (10 to 20mm)? By converting one end to an adjustable one ...or else?
They were produced in house by S&S for their / Indian Motorcycles race bikes. I was able to get my hands on the last set, but sadly am returning them. They require completely custom Ohlins legs and caps. My guy slipped and didn't mention that when I got them. The custom legs cost $5k. I can't swing that. They are majorly adjustable as they use the same offset inserts available for the FTR750 race bikes. Anout 8 options. I have a chart somewhere.

IMG_2521.jpg

Tripack

They were produced in house by S&S for their / Indian Motorcycles race bikes. I was able to get my hands on the last set, but sadly am returning them. They require completely custom Ohlins legs and caps. My guy slipped and didn't mention that when I got them. The custom legs cost $5k. I can't swing that. They are majorly adjustable as they use the same offset inserts available for the FTR750 race bikes. Anout 8 options. I have a chart somewhere.

View attachment 8110
OK...Thank you!
Yes their Ohlins fork does not look like the production model.
Everything on these racers is custom made...

MMC

Anyone knowing about this swingarm?
RSD did and sold a CroMo shorter custom version for the FTR (still used by #1 and #99 btw, I think...), but not available anymore...
This one is something looking way more refined...?! RDS also?
Bobby Fong #50
Sure do. That is a Trac Dynamics swingarm made for the FTR for RSD team. Track Dynamics mainly makes Harley swingarms, but they did these. You can call them and they will make you one @ around $2k. As far as I am aware, they are stock length. The RSD chromoly swwingarm came from RSD's very limited run of race kits ( I actually have a complete kit for sale right now that includes one and I also have one on my hooligan flat track FTR). They are designed and no longer made by Bill @ C&J racing. They were -3 from stock length and 1/2 the weight. They are badass and IMO very refined. S&S also produced a -3 swingarm for their team bikes as well and ran them for 1/2 of the 2023 season on their road race bikes. They were basically modified stock. LMK if you have any more questions. Cheers!

I’ll take any big thumper for public road racing.

I’d rather lay down a 370lb dripping wet 701 at half the price and near half the weight of the FTR too, if my stupidity were to catch up with me one day on my public roads.

I’m not paying $5,000/year just to tell people I belong to a track without mentioning I only visit 6 times a year. So my context is road racing as in public roads and spirited riding within reason on said roads.

edgelett

I’m not paying $5,000/year just to tell people I belong to a track without mentioning I only visit 6 times a year. So my context is road racing as in public roads and spirited riding within reason on said roads.
I'm not a fan of riding at extreme high speeds on public roads due to the added risk of traffic, obstacles like trees, and importantly stupid road users.
Here you don't need to pay an annual fee, you can just pay for a track day when you feel like it.
but each to their own.

I'm not a fan of riding at extreme high speeds on public roads due to the added risk of traffic, obstacles like trees, and importantly stupid road users.
Here you don't need to pay an annual fee, you can just pay for a track day when you feel like it.
but each to their own.
I did for years, a lot of money as tracks are private here and require membership.

Open track nights are just drag nights and I’m not lining up next to some kids b16a rust bucket Honda running no cage because he lifts at the last second to avoid being booted from the track for having no cage!

Drag nights be crazy here man, and we got a LOT of tracks where I live. Telling you there’s 10 second cars with no cage no chute just lifting to avoid ban…

I’m good on that life. I have zero points on my license for past decade. Pretty sensible on streets is the way to go for sure!

Big motors like FTR sure are fun on tracks though I’ve never done anything outside SCCA on 4 wheels. Little twins and thumpers aren’t that quick and hitting triple digits isn’t for shared spaces. Thats why I’d rather small motor. Scales everything down. I mean on my 401 I gotta bang through 4 gears to hit 60 lol.

We got no good public roads for much more than 40hp bike in our country, besides our west where the police use helicopters and airplanes to imprison big motors. Even out west it’s rly rly limited where you can run off grid but stay on smooth tarmac.

Last edited:

cadcap

Still fit into my leathers from WAY BACK WHEN...thinkin of takin one of these two SOS race bikes from back in the early '90s out to Gingerman or Grattan for an AHRMA event...at 70+ gettin into a real race tuck? Maybe not so easy!! Wouldn't want to mess up my "new" '22 FTR it's only got 250 miles...maybe my '07 S4RS Ducati ?IMG_5361.jpegIMG_3399.jpeg30073497_2053100874730783_622413983785561062_o (1).jpeg

irsh

I was talking to one old guy racing a CB350 at Road America a few years back and he was 84. There's still hope for me.

Walrus

I'm 75 and still do road races and track days - not DRAG RACING which is another sport entirely. Also, I don't pay a membership fee - just an annual racing license good at most tracks in America for actual events and/or track days.
Pushing the limits on the streets seems insane to me. Reality check: Number of deaths at Isle of Man vs MotoGP. Extreme riding on the street puts you and other people in danger. But if you want to be THAT guy or gal, your choice - but I ain't impressed.