FTR AS ROAD RACER

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
Hello Sir, I am wondering if you've done a decibel check yet on your Toce pipe? I ask because I just got this on the FTR I bought and my local track limits to 104db, do you know what yours is at?

Breto

Hello Sir, I am wondering if you've done a decibel check yet on your Toce pipe? I ask because I just got this on the FTR I bought and my local track limits to 104db, do you know what yours is at?
I have no idea mate…loud is all I can tell you although I think there was a decibel test done by one of our members here somewhere.

Walrus

Have not. Is loud, but not killer.

Walrus

I was gonna pull the trigger on the 765... then Indian stole my heart.

My issue is my Daytona is a 2014 and has all the factory race parts... it's an AMA pro-spec and won the Canadian Championship... so I am almost certain she has 135 hp on pump gas... lol...

I tracked my 09 street Gixxer 750 and my butt dyno puts the 675 above it.

Saving my pennies for next year...
That Daytona is sweet!

DJ121

Well, Andy Dibrino regularly races his KTM890 against 600 Supersports (and wins). He also just got beat by a bunch of FTR’s on Laguna Seca, so technically, the FTR should stand a chance between 600’s…

But seriously, if you want to go racing an FTR, do it for fun, not to win.
100%.

DJ121

The 1203 cc severely limits classes to race in. That's all I was saying. Not to mention a max lean of 43 degrees... but I am sure that can be engineered by use... lol

My FTR "butt dyno" reads the torque in the stratosphere, but HP slightly less than a 600SS...

Aftermarket support for the FTR for road racing is also limited... and it's only gonna get worse, IMO, once the FTR gets shitcanned by Indian. (Shitcanning is my prediction, only. The FTR market is not the Indian market.)
At this point we're close to the XR1200 production time, at least in the USA market which was 2009-2012 I think? In any case, Indian will have to continue to innovate and evolve this motorcycle in order to demonstrate to the world market that they are serious. As a former XR 1200 owner who spent waaaay too much upgrading the bike only to lose money when I sold, it, I'll say Indian is already miles ahead of the XR. 1. They have several different models to appeal to different tastes of riders, from the FTR standard which I met a chap who has a bone stock one and loves it, to the Flat Track Style which look amazing, to the Carbon. 2. They have upgraded the FTR and moved it forward with kit that is worthy of a track day. The XR only evolved to the XRX with the adjustable front and rear suspension, the rest of the upgrading was on you as the owner. 3. Imagine owning a company such as Buell, shutting it down, and not using their engine in the XR? it has taken Harley over a decade to produce a motor that had more Hp than the Buell. So it think if Indian stays "on this track" (no pun intended) the bike will still be relevant. Note: I'm still a fan of the XR, wonderful street bike. :)

Last edited:

MacBayne

I guess I also have to eat crow, here in this thread. The '23 models have evolved and it looks like Indian is serious about the FTR. It is very refreshing to see, too. This means more aftermarket support! Yay!

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
Only thing that evolved for the 23 models is the gps dash. Everything else is the same as the 22s other than colors.

the accessory line for 23 is more street oriented which is good.

MacBayne

Well shit, I never researched but was under the impression that there were a number of changes... and now I see they simply renamed the 'S' I knew it had to be too good to be true... lol

BNG... it's always BNG...

edgelett

Well shit, I never researched but was under the impression that there were a number of changes... and now I see they simply renamed the 'S' I knew it had to be too good to be true... lol

BNG... it's always BNG...
the fact they incorporated the GPS dash, updated all the colours and brought out a whole new line of accessories in my view shows they ARE serious about the FTR.
otherwise they would have just released the exact same bike without the things people have been asking for

Walrus

Indian racing video:

Answers all my questions. Bye, bye, Ducati! Now only question is do I turn my street ride into a racer or buy another to be race-only?

DJ121

Indian racing video:

Answers all my questions. Bye, bye, Ducati! Now only question is do I turn my street ride into a racer or buy another to be race-only?
Good question, my SuperDuke R became something of a Street legal track bike, this one I think will be a track worthy street bike. All depends if you have a desire to ride on the street, or none at all?

Walrus

I love my FTR on the street. Is a light, nimble joy. But I have a sizeable flock and should probably cut down. I face this dilemma with my watch collection as well. Go on a purge - then one-by-one my watch boxes fill again.
To go racing on my street ride, I'd have to upgrade my stock (base) suspension and replace the low mount TOCE. Seems simpler to start with a semi-trashed stocker and build a racer. Not sure even the FTR OHLINS are really race ready.
I'm sure someone here can clue me in.

DJ121

I love my FTR on the street. Is a light, nimble joy. But I have a sizeable flock and should probably cut down. I face this dilemma with my watch collection as well. Go on a purge - then one-by-one my watch boxes fill again.
Awesome, what kind of bikes inhabit your garage?

Walrus

Race bikes are kept with a racing shop that transports them to track. Even though I am old and very slow. And I'm not being modest, just truthful.
Right now the garage fleet consists of
2019 Hayabusa with Akrapovic full exhaust set up for bagless sport touring.
2014 Ducati Evo Monster 1100 cc that is a back-up racer.
2012 GSXR 750
2020 Indian FTR
Two (yes two) 2022 Harley Fat Boys. Mine has the 131 engine. My wife, who is also a motorcycle nut, has a 121 engine. We just got these in September. We traded a 2016 Anniversary R6 on her bike. We moved here from Florida and the bike was much too tall for her in the Oklahoma hills when forced to stop. She used to race an R6, but would frequenly tip over.
2020 Harley CVO Street Glide. It's fat, but comfy and goes like stink. Like it a lot but the weight is an issue.
2014 Harley Breakout with engine work.
2012 Harley Sportster with monster engine putting 105 HP to rear wheel. Is amazingly fun, but gets about 13mph and has a 2.5 gallon peanut tank. Was a fun custom project. But totally impractical.
2012 Honda CBR-1000RR a former race bike returned to the street. Don't ride it much. Hurts my neck. Always did. But at speed your body (and head) are supported and pushed.
Suzuki 100 cc dirt bike. Ride around the neighborhood because I can.
Racer: Full zoot (as it gets/lmao) Ducati 1100 Eva with Paul Smart fairing. My wife races a modified Triumph 760 Daytona LE.
My wife can not ride the Busa, Street Glide, Ducati or Indian because they are too tall.

MacBayne

Not sure even the FTR OHLINS are really race ready.
I'm sure someone here can clue me in.
I will say that yes, that suspension is race ready. It outperforms the rest of the machine by a margin. I've had mine at the track twice using the same settings as the street and from lap one, didn't touch it. I am 60lbs over the spring rate, too, so it has WAY too much preload. Like I said before, the lean angle gets in the way. In the turn in my profile pic you can see that my peg and shifter are my limit and in a couple of turns, a bounce would shift the transmission so I had to dial it back. On the other side the pipe is in the way. I made sure to stay away from the kerbs or I am sure the exhaust cans would be destroyed.

Attachments

• 20220816_190216.jpg
    20220816_190216.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 12

DJ121

Race bikes are kept with a racing shop that transports them to track. Even though I am old and very slow. And I'm not being modest, just truthful.
Right now the garage fleet consists of
2019 Hayabusa with Akrapovic full exhaust set up for bagless sport touring.
2014 Ducati Evo Monster 1100 cc that is a back-up racer.
2012 GSXR 750
2020 Indian FTR
Two (yes two) 2022 Harley Fat Boys. Mine has the 131 engine. My wife, who is also a motorcycle nut, has a 121 engine. We just got these in September. We traded a 2016 Anniversary R6 on her bike. We moved here from Florida and the bike was much too tall for her in the Oklahoma hills when forced to stop. She used to race an R6, but would frequenly tip over.
2020 Harley CVO Street Glide. It's fat, but comfy and goes like stink. Like it a lot but the weight is an issue.
2014 Harley Breakout with engine work.
2012 Harley Sportster with monster engine putting 105 HP to rear wheel. Is amazingly fun, but gets about 13mph and has a 2.5 gallon peanut tank. Was a fun custom project. But totally impractical.
2012 Honda CBR-1000RR a former race bike returned to the street. Don't ride it much. Hurts my neck. Always did. But at speed your body (and head) are supported and pushed.
Suzuki 100 cc dirt bike. Ride around the neighborhood because I can.
Racer: Full zoot (as it gets/lmao) Ducati 1100 Eva with Paul Smart fairing. My wife races a modified Triumph 760 Daytona LE.
My wife can not ride the Busa, Street Glide, Ducati or Indian because they are too tall.
Walrus, this is an amazing lineup of bikes, WOW, now I don't feel as bad if I keep the Ryker and the FTR R. Now have all the sliders on there and am essentially ready for a track day :)

DJ121

I will say that yes, that suspension is race ready. It outperforms the rest of the machine by a margin. I've had mine at the track twice using the same settings as the street and from lap one, didn't touch it. I am 60lbs over the spring rate, too, so it has WAY too much preload. Like I said before, the lean angle gets in the way. In the turn in my profile pic you can see that my peg and shifter are my limit and in a couple of turns, a bounce would shift the transmission so I had to dial it back. On the other side the pipe is in the way. I made sure to stay away from the kerbs or I am sure the exhaust cans would be destroyed.
Thank you for the info, I have the Toce exhaust, so I don't know what kind of clearance that has for those right turns? Also know nothing about the performance of these tires, I'm aDunlop Q4 front, Q3+ on the rear person. Also, the guy who sold me the bike said he set it up for a person who is 185 lbs, I am 200 without my leathers on, not sure if I should go by the book settings?