FTR AS ROAD RACER

Walrus

MacBane, thanks for the input. Saves 3-4K on new race set up.
DJ: Thanks for kind words. I've actually cut back on the size of my fleet. It's a form of insanity/obsession. I've never scraped my TOCE on the street, but I don't ride extremely aggressively out in the world. As a matter of taste, I do not like Dunlops. I would suggest Pirelli (my race choice) or even Michelin. The stock Dunlops on my CVO Street Glide (yeah I know Harley, but we're talking tires) tracked rain grooves common in Oklahoma highways and did not inspired wet confidence - or confidence in general. This summer on the wonderful roads around Sturgis, the admittedly bloated Street Glide was not happy in real curves. Switched to Michelin Commander IIIs in September. Problems solved. Hope this gives some insight. But is merely one guy's opinion/experience. I'm not a rabid brand loyalist in any aspect of life, though I do have preferences. But I'm always willing to adapt.

MacBayne

NP, sir. You seem to know what you are on about, I just pretend... lol

Thank you for the info, I have the Toce exhaust, so I don't know what kind of clearance that has for those right turns? Also know nothing about the performance of these tires, I'm aDunlop Q4 front, Q3+ on the rear person. Also, the guy who sold me the bike said he set it up for a person who is 185 lbs, I am 200 without my leathers on, not sure if I should go by the book settings?

I wish I could give details on clicks, and such, but I was rear-ended on 27 Oct and my machine is buried in the doldrums at the dealer for official repair and I did not keep a suspension diary...

I ran OEM tires. Metzeler are owned by Pirelli... so those are the pressures I ran... lol! (25.5R 32F from personal experience... but those are for slicks...)

The owners manual lists suspension settings... I am certain that I am well within those settings. I think I listed them or at least stood by the book settings in another thread... there was another fella that asked a few question issues...

200 lbs is a bit over what these machines are sprung for, but like I said, my fat ass ran OEM springs, just setting sag within manual specs... 15-25 lbs over what is intended (like you) for OEM springs is NBD, IMO.

I do not know your experience, but like stated earlier, these bikes are limited to 43 degrees lean by design... not to humblebrag, but 43 degrees lean is around my cool-down pace on my race bikes.

Talk to your track day staff... work UP to your limits, not over.

Are you going to the track?

Walrus

Only track here in Oklahoma is closed for season. I missed the final CCS at Miami Speedway due to work. Didn't have time to fly in, race and return. But that would've been my Ducati. Think I'll take my FTR up to Hallet when opens in March/April. I'm mid/back of packer. Been racing more than a decade. Of course, I've won and had some "podiums" over the years. But I think I should paint a snail on my helmet.
Bench racing until the first CCS date in Miami. Usually in February. In the cold, this particular track can be treacherous. Have CONCRETE at apex (since cars race there too) and slippery as hell in cold. I avoid morning races and practice sessions if it is in the 40s, which does happen in south Florida.

Last edited:

DJ121

NP, sir. You seem to know what you are on about, I just pretend... lol

I wish I could give details on clicks, and such, but I was rear-ended on 27 Oct and my machine is buried in the doldrums at the dealer for official repair and I did not keep a suspension diary...

I ran OEM tires. Metzeler are owned by Pirelli... so those are the pressures I ran... lol! (25.5R 32F from personal experience... but those are for slicks...)

The owners manual lists suspension settings... I am certain that I am well within those settings. I think I listed them or at least stood by the book settings in another thread... there was another fella that asked a few question issues...

200 lbs is a bit over what these machines are sprung for, but like I said, my fat ass ran OEM springs, just setting sag within manual specs... 15-25 lbs over what is intended (like you) for OEM springs is NBD, IMO.

I do not know your experience, but like stated earlier, these bikes are limited to 43 degrees lean by design... not to humblebrag, but 43 degrees lean is around my cool-down pace on my race bikes.

Talk to your track day staff... work UP to your limits, not over.

Are you going to the track?
Thank you for the reply brother, I have not been to the track yet, only had the bike a few weeks since I returned to the states, then had to await the title from the gentleman I bought it from's bank. Then had to install all the appropriate sliders and so forth before I would take it to the track. Next I'd like to do GP shift, but I can live without that if I have to. The gentleman I bought it from installed the GSXR "shift thing" whatever you call it lol. As for tires, I'm definitely not married to Dunlop, but it's all I know, I have used a GP Pro on the rear which is basically a street legal slick that requires heaters. I'm only an intermediate rider, so I'm not tearing up the track or anything :) Jennings GP is my local track down here in Florida, about 3 hours away from my house.

DJ121

DJ: Thanks for kind words. I've actually cut back on the size of my fleet. It's a form of insanity/obsession. I've never scraped my TOCE on the street, but I don't ride extremely aggressively out in the world. As a matter of taste, I do not like Dunlops. I would suggest Pirelli (my race choice) or even Michelin. The stock Dunlops on my CVO Street Glide (yeah I know Harley, but we're talking tires) tracked rain grooves common in Oklahoma highways and did not inspired wet confidence - or confidence in general. This summer on the wonderful roads around Sturgis, the admittedly bloated Street Glide was not happy in real curves. Switched to Michelin Commander IIIs in September. Problems solved. Hope this gives some insight. But is merely one guy's opinion/experience. I'm not a rabid brand loyalist in any aspect of life, though I do have preferences. But I'm always willing to adapt.
Thanks for all the words and advice, you and your wife must me awesome people to hang out with :)

DJ121

JUST returned from two-day private session at Roebling Road in Georgia, which got me thinking:
Would an FTR make a road racer as opposed to a flat tracker?
Some of the folks at RR were on modified Ducati Monsters and even a KTM. Duke. The relatively upright riding position is good for older folks, though FTR tends to be a bit porky by racetrack standards.
Would love to hear your thoughts - thinking of making one.
Thanks.
I just moved to Acworth Georgia, so I need to know where this track is :)

Eeyore

To help resurrect an old thread... I am building an FTR to try to race hooligan series and maybe WERA heavyweight twins if I can get it inside the rules... done track days the FTR and it is hard work to make it go fast but fun...

Attachments

• image_50457089.JPG
    image_50457089.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 27
  • 20230711_185756.jpg
    20230711_185756.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 27
  • 20230330_172916.jpg
    20230330_172916.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 24

Walrus

I just moved to Acworth Georgia, so I need to know where this track is :)

Roebling Road is just outside Savannah.
Going to a two-day private track event there in three weeks. Flying in from OKC to meet my bike.
Great facility. Have races and track days. My gang (about 16 guys & gals) is renting the track. Love doing this. Less structured. We basically agree you can go out any session you want - and stay out as long as your stamina allows. But all the safety stuff/ambulances in place. Ain't cheap though.

Last edited:

Eeyore

Going to a race school at Roebling in December... been wanting to a do a track day there but dates just didn't work out... I an in Chattanooga, so I have several tracks just a few hours away...

Walrus

Going to a race school at Roebling in December... been wanting to a do a track day there but dates just didn't work out... I an in Chattanooga, so I have several tracks just a few hours away...
It's a wonderful flowing track. Not extremely technical, but a couple of challenging turns. Think it's my favorite. Front straight is very fast and ends in a curve that doesn't make your butt pucker. Plus the grounds/setting can't be beat. Hope you'll enjoy. Will look forward to your update.
What school are you going to? A regular license school or something like Yamaha Championship etc. (which offers great courses)?

Eeyore

It's a wonderful flowing track. Not extremely technical, but a couple of challenging turns. Think it's my favorite. Front straight is very fast and ends in a curve that doesn't make your butt pucker. Plus the grounds/setting can't be beat. Hope you'll enjoy. Will look forward to your update.
What school are you going to? A regular license school or something like Yamaha Championship etc. (which offers great courses)?
License school... they do not want to credit any of the racing I did 40 years ago... go figure. Hope to hit Mid-Ohio and COTA... wanted to try Daytona but the date is not good. Anyway, it is all for fun...

DJ121

Roebling Road is just outside Savannah.
Going to a two-day private track event there in three weeks. Flying in from OKC to meet my bike.
Great facility. Have races and track days. My gang (about 16 guys & gals) is renting the track. Love doing this. Less structured. We basically agree you can go out any session you want - and stay out as long as your stamina allows. But all the safety stuff/ambulances in place. Ain't cheap though.
Thank you Walrus, I will plan for next season, I need a trailer in order to track since my track buddy didn't move to GA with me :)

Tripack

-Hi MMC, who makes those (beautiful) adjustable offset triple clamps? Range of offset vs. stock?
-Did anyone try to have the 22-23 OEM rear Ohlins made longer (10 to 20mm)? By converting one end to an adjustable one ...or else?

Attachments

• 22 FTR OEM Ohlins.jpg
    22 FTR OEM Ohlins.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 1
  • Adjustable Ohlins on FTR.jpg
    Adjustable Ohlins on FTR.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 1

Walrus

Just rode my FTR (it actually got warm here for a few hours). Great bike, so light and flickable. Great engine, suspension. Thinking again of selling the Ducati racer and becoming a track hooligan.
Going to look for a used in Florida, where I keep my racer, and convert for track. No sure if I want Ohlins stock - or to add it aftermarket.