FTR Failure

jopi

FTR running-in breakdown

After 700 km, the engine of my FTR stopped by itself, in a straight line, at 80 kmh.

I think it's the fuel pump, or the electronic ignition. Fuel tank full, battery 100% charged. The starter turns, the dashboard is ok, but it doesn't start.

Has anyone had this kind of problem before?

Thanks
J

SaveShare
Reply Quote

Charliemurphay

Is it a 1200S with the ride command display? If so are there any error codes displayed? Has the circuit breaker recall been done?

Charliemurphay

Here is the service manual troubleshooting for a no start situation-
83F21C8A-1CAB-4394-BC11-A4C7C0256D2A.jpeg
If you can hear the fuel pump priming when you turn the key on (and the kill switch is set to Run) then I wouldn’t think that is the problem. And you said it cranks so I wouldn’t likely suspect any sort of mechanical issue. I’d think it’s likely to be battery related or fuse related. Check your fuses under this cover on the right hand side of your bike:
C8D1D958-4B9B-411D-887A-830F0C12B955.jpeg
There will be 3 tall gray and black colored “sticks” under that cover. They are your circuit breakers, if they have pink dots on them then they are the updated versions that the recall was addressing. If they don’t have pink dots, I would get them replaced under the recall. Next I would pull and individually inspect each fuse. There are also 3 main fuses located underneath the battery tray behind these plugs:
59414024-6C56-435C-ACA0-DB46B015E3F9.jpeg
Pull those plugs, check the fuses and make sure they are fully seated.

Last edited:

8zero8

Here is the service manual troubleshooting for a no start situation-
View attachment 4252
If you can hear the fuel pump priming when you turn the key on (and the kill switch is set to Run) then I wouldn’t think that is the problem. And you said it cranks so I wouldn’t likely suspect any sort of mechanical issue. I’d think it’s likely to be battery related or fuse related. Check your fuses under this cover on the right hand side of your bike:
View attachment 4253
There will be 3 tall gray and black colored “sticks” under that cover. They are your circuit breakers, if they have pink dots on them then they are the updated versions that the recall was addressing. If they don’t have pink dots, I would get them replaced under the recall. Next I would pull and individually inspect each fuse. There are also 3 main fuses located underneath the battery tray behind these plugs:
View attachment 4254
Pull those plugs, check the fuses and make sure they are fully seated.
Where do you guys buy your replacement 10A circuit breakers? Fuses?

Charliemurphay

The Circuit breakers (the tall gray/black sticks) can be had from Indian. The tiny fuses can be found at just about any auto parts store.

8zero8

Thank you, I have been unable to find the gray 10ATM style at any Autoparts.
Will order from Indian I suppose!

thanks guys