FTR passenger backrest....because why not?

Jyonish

So,
Been taking my kiddo on rides for several years, she loved the old cruiser but not so much the FTR.
Thought, maybe a back rest (that way would hopefully feel more comfortable on some more spirited rides).
I have the tail rack, looked at it and put a plan together for a backrest.
It turned out pretty good, is adjustable (somewhat) and we like it.

Attachments

• 20210815_181519.jpg
    20210815_181519.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 91
  • 20210815_181557.jpg
    20210815_181557.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 89
  • 20210815_181647.jpg
    20210815_181647.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 92

Jyonish

Very well executed and it looks strong. Great job.
Thanks, its definitely sturdy.
Used some larger stainless bolts to mount, wanted to test the concept.
May look for some counter sunk bolts (if I can find that size) to sit a bit more flush atop the rack and paint black.
But for now. Its strong, tested and kid approved.

senninha13

So,
Been taking my kiddo on rides for several years, she loved the old cruiser but not so much the FTR.
Thought, maybe a back rest (that way would hopefully feel more comfortable on some more spirited rides).
I have the tail rack, looked at it and put a plan together for a backrest.
It turned out pretty good, is adjustable (somewhat) and we like it.
whoa, this looks amazing! can you provide a small summary of how you do it, or i suppose more importantly what parts you started with? i have the rear rack as well, and the girl has been requesting a backrest all summer!

Max Kool

whoa, this looks amazing! can you provide a small summary of how you do it, or i suppose more importantly what parts you started with? i have the rear rack as well, and the girl has been requesting a backrest all summer!
Look close at this picture, explains it all I guess?

20210815_181557.jpg

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
very nifty idea! but the bolts you used are entirely too short, they arent even grabbing the nylon part of the locking nut, standard practice is 2 threads past the end of the nut.

Would suck to have one rattle off.

senninha13

Look close at this picture, explains it all I guess?

View attachment 4272
except what backrest he used, if he pieced the bracket together or was it preassembled, etc… seriously?

i’m sure i could find the information myself, although it would take longer and people usually appreciate talking about things they’ve put together and i didn’t think he’d mind. it’s quite a clever, simple idea imo.

K9F

My children going on the back of my motorcycles have been a 'rite of passage' in my household since the time they have been able to reach the foot-pegs (which is the stipulation here). One thing you see so often is children having to reach so far to grip, their heads are pressed hard up against the rider often at right angles to direction of travel and they can see very little. I have been using what is depicted below for as far as I can remember and even with adult pillions they are worth their weight in gold as it allows the pillion to grip fast and sit with a much better posture.

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:

Jyonish

I just went to the local Ace hardware.
What I used was a corner brace and a couple mending plates (pretty sturdy and coated black).
I have upgraded the hardware since, ended up using grade 8 bolts (3/16) to piece together.
The pad, just amazon cheapo (search sissy bar backrest pad) they have options.

Attachments

• 20210820_155843.jpg
    20210820_155843.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 16
  • 20210820_172821.jpg
    20210820_172821.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 17

Jyonish

very nifty idea! but the bolts you used are entirely too short, they arent even grabbing the nylon part of the locking nut, standard practice is 2 threads past the end of the nut.

Would suck to have one rattle off.
Was just a "concept" at that time.
Have since upgraded all the hardware.
Don't keep it on all the time, just mount it up when the kiddo rides (takes about 2 minutes).
Idk though, may just keep it on full time-test the longevity

senninha13

I just went to the local Ace hardware.
What I used was a corner brace and a couple mending plates (pretty sturdy and coated black).
I have upgraded the hardware since, ended up using grade 8 bolts (3/16) to piece together.
The pad, just amazon cheapo (search sissy bar backrest pad) they have options.
awesome man, going to give it a go. thanks for letting me know!

Jyonish

awesome man, going to give it a go. thanks for letting me know!
I got the idea from this (pic posted).
Figured I could make something better/cheaper.
Initially thought 1 or 2 strong L brackets could work (1 piece L bracket vs bolting together what i did) but liked the width of corner brace/mending plate.
The slots in the brace allow to slide back/forth allowing some adjustment.
Was also thinking of mounting a top case on the rack with a back pad, but this was def a cleaner look.
Best of luck

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210820-190729_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20210820-190729_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    496.9 KB · Views: 11