FTR won't start

johnnynice

Everything on the bike is stock, and the fuses look ok. It works perfectly when warm, but in the mornings it acts like the battery is dying. Lights and horn and screen work, but when trying to start it it will click without turning over and the screen will restart. If I boost it it will work for the rest of the day. Tried a new battery to no avail

Charliemurphay

Everything on the bike is stock, and the fuses look ok. It works perfectly when warm, but in the mornings it acts like the battery is dying. Lights and horn and screen work, but when trying to start it it will click without turning over and the screen will restart. If I boost it it will work for the rest of the day. Tried a new battery to no avail
That honestly, still sounds like a bad battery. You may have been unlucky enough to get a weak one right off the shelf.

johnnynice

That honestly, still sounds like a bad battery. You may have been unlucky enough to get a weak one right off the shelf.
It does sound like it! I went back to Canadian Tire and got the original battery back that I had given them to recycle. They tested it and gave it a clean bill of health. The bike is still under warranty, I'll bring it in and see what they can find out. I guess I should also buy a multimeter so I can test for parasitic draw.

johnnynice

So the battery that wouldn't start your bike, tested clean. And a new battery failed as well.

I would like to know what happens if you leave the negative terminal disconnected overnight (to rule out any parasitic draws).
That's a great idea, thanks! I was going to wait until I got a multimeter, but I will try that tonight.

kiwi dave

That information has been around for a while. I had the same issue (after a dud battery), it didn't take long to find where the volts were stalling.

But the more it's mentioned, the more riders will know. Win - win.

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
It’s been known amongst owners. INDIAN hasn’t put anything out about it. And the owners manual isn’t clear about them.