Harley-Davidsons.

D

Deleted member 706

Got one, had one, but please not another one.
Past or present, who bought a Harley?
I bought my FXR in '91, this is on the Sandfire Flats south of Broome, north of Western Australia.Sandfire Flats 1991.jpg

K9F

tenor.gif

Yes I did and it's a keeper having outgrown the other Harleys I had! Love it as much as the FTR but for completely different reasons. Both bikes 13 hours in the saddle 570 miles same route across Europe. For such a journey the Harley comes out on top by a mile but neither bike alone can scratch the itches that need to be scratched. Had the Harley Streetfighter/Bronx not been delayed and subsequently canned that would probably have been the stablemate of the Breakout and I'd wager it would have run sweeter than the FTR did out of the crate.

img_1566_9b0dc4882b10bfe461a58944a03d2dee9ba4e693.jpg

Last edited:

CajunFTR

This was my first bike and will always hold a special place in my heart, but just had to put it up for sale to make room in the garage for my FTR!

Attachments

• 57282C15-73E8-40D4-BAC9-A2D5A85CD86E.jpeg
    57282C15-73E8-40D4-BAC9-A2D5A85CD86E.jpeg
    367.1 KB · Views: 12

WayneFTR

2006 XL883C, 1995, FXDWG, 1997 XL1200C, 1997 FXD, 1995 FLSTF and last but not least my favourite 1999 FXDX

D

Deleted member 706

It's hardly surprising that there are plenty of H-D's in our past, American V twins are the overlap here.
I still have my FXR it sat for a decade or more then got rebuilt the FTR has taken the shine off the FXR, sadly.
It looks like this now. EFFECTS.jpgEFFECTS.jpg

bbuettner

Last 2 bikes

Harley XL1200CX (Roadster) - lacked power, peg position awkward (good bike for the 2 years I had it)
Kawasaki Z900RS - needed too many revs for power, inline 4 sounds like a sewing machine (also a good bike)
Indian FTR1200S - just right!

Attachments

• XL1200CX.jpg
    XL1200CX.jpg
    6.2 MB · Views: 10
  • Z900RS.jpg
    Z900RS.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 10

Ultratoad

View attachment 3134

Yes I did and it's a keeper having outgrown the other Harleys I had! Love it as much as the FTR but for completely different reasons. Both bikes 13 hours in the saddle 570 miles same route across Europe. For such a journey the Harley comes out on top by a mile but neither bike alone can scratch the itches that need to be scratched. Had the Harley Streetfighter/Bronx not been delayed and subsequently canned that would probably have been the stablemate of the Breakout and I'd wager it would have run sweeter than the FTR did out of the crate.

View attachment 3135
Yep.... That one is a keeper....

Reactions: K9F

DeplorableOne

0404201309_HDR.jpg

I liked it for about 3-4 months. Had just come back after about 10 years of no riding, figured I'd switch to Harley since I'm a bit older now....bad idea. Handles like crap, slow, leaks, shakes everything loose, tires sucked, and it ran HOT....so hot it warped the valve covers a little, and it completely melted the first voltage regulator. Aftermarket one never had an issue. Was nearly sold on the Lowrider S, but it was worse. It was equally, if not more slow and ultra HEAVY. So I started looking at alternatives, nearly pulled the trigger on the Triumph Thruxton RS, but the FTR was just so damn fun. That Roadster sure was pretty though...

edgelett

wow - either yours was a lemon or his is a unicorn.
Tony went to the Roadster after riding a ZZR250, Honda CB1300, Honda VFR 900 then MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR.
he's very happy with it. Hasn't had a single thing shake loose, no issue with heat or running hot, no issue with voltage regulator.
He deliberately wanted a slower bike because (in his words) 'this MV is going to either get me killed or in prison'. so he wanted something slower that was still nice to ride through the twisties at road legal speeds.
he hasn't had issues with handling, he says it 'handles like I expect it to - turns in slower and scrapes pegs'
only issues he's had is the seat is uncomfortable as hell so he got it re-padded, and he's about to fit some 2 inch bar risers to take pressure off his wrists a little.

Bumati

My xr1200 has been relatively issue free for about 30,000 miles. It is a great bike. I keep thinking sell it, but I can't. Unless you have 9 grand.

Attachments

• IMG_20210403_121133_01.jpg
    IMG_20210403_121133_01.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 7
  • 20200704_040953.jpg
    20200704_040953.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 7

DeplorableOne

wow - either yours was a lemon or his is a unicorn.
Tony went to the Roadster after riding a ZZR250, Honda CB1300, Honda VFR 900 then MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR.
he's very happy with it. Hasn't had a single thing shake loose, no issue with heat or running hot, no issue with voltage regulator.
He deliberately wanted a slower bike because (in his words) 'this MV is going to either get me killed or in prison'. so he wanted something slower that was still nice to ride through the twisties at road legal speeds.
he hasn't had issues with handling, he says it 'handles like I expect it to - turns in slower and scrapes pegs'
only issues he's had is the seat is uncomfortable as hell so he got it re-padded, and he's about to fit some 2 inch bar risers to take pressure off his wrists a little.
Yeah the Phoenix heat in the summer tends to cause issues with water cooled bikes too, we'll see if this one has them too. It's running much much cooler after Ryan's tune so I'm hopeful nothing melts this summer when it's 120°+

D

Deleted member 706

My xr1200 has been relatively issue free for about 30,000 miles. It is a great bike. I keep thinking sell it, but I can't. Unless you have 9 grand.
IMG_20210303_175832~2.jpg
Here's a memorial tattoo for Rob, he put Storz stuff on his Sportie. It was only an 883 but for the roads in his part of NZ it had plenty of usable horsepower. The FTR turned out to be the Sportster I never got.