Harley's new Sportster S

edgelett

Here it is - the new Harley Sportster S.
It definitely has borrowed some things from Indian (and the FTR), but you'd expect that - the two big US motorcycle companies are always going to compete with and inspire each other.

Is it an FTR competitor? no, despite the references on the website to 'honouring flat track racing'.
But as it has a mid control option, it is definitely a competitor to the Scout.
In some ways I think it's good they chose to switch up the Sportster with a new model rather than just copy the FTR - better do to their own thing and do it well.
But I'm hoping it pushes Indian to keep improving its bikes and giving us more options

2021 Sportster S | Harley-Davidson Australia

Charliemurphay

Definitely a Scout competitor. I don’t hate it at all, in fact I don’t like how much I like it and oh look, another bike with navigation….Ride Command team take notes 😂.

But seriously, I want nav on my FTR.

Give it to me.

K9F

121BHP and a top speed of 137MPH someone's going to need to 'up their game' a little methinks. I like it!

Max Kool

It’s also a good penny more expensive than the Scout Bobber (like over 30%). I still hope they sell well, it might pave the way for a Bronx…

D

Deleted member 706

As I get older weight and seat height become more important than other features.

Harley Davidson are a t-shirt company that sell unfinished bikes

Last edited by a moderator:
Im not a fan of Harley and their putrid rancid "When your ready for a REEEEEEEEEEL bike get a Harley" culture. But they are FINALLY listening. Liquid cooling and a true high performance V Twin not requiring 2000 CCs to make that power. Now all the manufactures detune their base engine when making a new model. Does an Off road Adventure Bike make only high midrange and top end power? Why the need to detune from the original 150 plus hp to 120 hp? The Bronx will be mandatory to keep bringing in the young buyer but they got to consider the MT07 type buyer or even the Grom buyer to truly have a model for everyone. Hopefully the dealerships dont inflate the added out the door costs. I paid $9000 for my 019 Base with 500 miles from a private seller back in Dec 2020. I had to put several hundred $$ into it as it had fell over during his ownership . New radiator and plastic radiator side cover from the fall.....and a revised Indian tune as the dealer claimed the aftermarket tune was not compatible with the ECU. Bike went into limp mode. So Im at $9,432 total and couldnt be happier.

Timps27

Biggest question I have on the bike is still the single front rotor, apparently they don’t expect anyone to actually use the power on tap…

Breto

Not f
Before the Scout FTR Custom and FTR were introduced I thought the same about Indian…

(things can change, just saying)
Not for this little duck man…never liked them, never will…over priced, over rated, don’t go, don’t stop…nah man not me…that will never change…but as I always say, that’s just me man…👍😎🇦🇺

Not f

Not for this little duck man…never liked them, never will…over priced, over rated, don’t go, don’t stop…nah man not me…that will never change…but as I always say, that’s just me man…👍😎🇦🇺
I bet the design team of the Pan America and the new Sportster S have nothing to do with Harleys traditional veteran designers. Can you imagine the roadblocks and sabotage the traditionalist designers would be doing to a liquid cooled powerful modern bike design with light weight and rider features?

Breto

I bet the design team of the Pan America and the new Sportster S have nothing to do with Harleys traditional veteran designers. Can you imagine the roadblocks and sabotage the traditionalist designers would be doing to a liquid cooled powerful modern bike design with light weight and rider features?
Personally I don’t care what Harley do man.

mtberbob

other than the forward controls why is the sportster s being compared to the scout instead of the ftr? it has more in common with the ftr plus some extras.

other than the forward controls why is the sportster s being compared to the scout instead of the ftr? it has more in common with the ftr plus some extras.
Some key specs are very similar to the FTR. Weight power and fuel capacity. But realistically the Bronkx would be the direct upright naked competitor to the FTR.