Harley's new Sportster S

Max Kool

other than the forward controls why is the sportster s being compared to the scout instead of the ftr? it has more in common with the ftr plus some extras.
Huh? It's a low slung cruiser... very much a Scout or a Bobber... and with 34 degree lean angle very much not an FTR like bike... This bike won't be fun in twisties.

mtberbob

Some key specs are very similar to the FTR. Weight power and fuel capacity. But realistically the Bronkx would be the direct upright naked competitor to the FTR.
the electronics suite is more closely aligned with the ftr plus some extra features. again aside from the forward controls i dont see anything scout comparable on it.

mtberbob

Huh? It's a low slung cruiser... very much a Scout or a Bobber... and with 34 degree lean angle very much not an FTR like bike... This bike won't be fun in twisties.
it's lean angle is right in between the scout and the ftr. simply looking at the max lean angle is a terrible way to decide if it will be good in the twisties or not.

Max Kool

Yep, and the FTR's lean angle is already a bit limiting...

But, we got it wrong, you got it right. It's ok.

Max Kool

I got no idea what you're trying here (other then getting under my skin maybe, which you won't).

The FTR is a super fun bike on twisty roads and can hang with the best up to around 100-120 mph, especially on sport touring tires. I just fail to see how a low bike like the Sportster S would do that. The seating position is wrong (even with mid controls), it's too low.... single front rotor, balloon front tire. 🤷‍♂️

I sure hope they sell a lot, and that could even be a challenge at 15k and above. I still think the Bronx would be way more comparable, especially since the 2022 FTR...

Timps27

The hardcore HD crowd seems to have done a 180 on their stance this time around vs. V Rod. Back then an actual revolution was shot down hard by the base as “Not HD”. This time a water cooled Sporster was finally made 40 years after it should have been, and it’s become “a total revolution of HD”.

mtberbob

I got no idea what you're trying here (other then getting under my skin maybe, which you won't).

The FTR is a super fun bike on twisty roads and can hang with the best up to around 100-120 mph, especially on sport touring tires. I just fail to see how a low bike like the Sportster S would do that. The seating position is wrong (even with mid controls), it's too low.... single front rotor, balloon front tire. 🤷‍♂️

I sure hope they sell a lot, and that could even be a challenge at 15k and above. I still think the Bronx would be way more comparable, especially since the 2022 FTR...
not trying to get under your skin but when you give condescending comments you can expect to get them right back.

K9F

The capability of the rider and harnessing his own abilities with the limits of the machine on any bike is the most influential factor regardless of lean angle etc.

Crazy Harley-Davidson Biker in the Hall of Fame - YouTube

The hardcore HD crowd seems to have done a 180 on their stance this time around vs. V Rod. Back then an actual revolution was shot down hard by the base as “Not HD”. This time a water cooled Sporster was finally made 40 years after it should have been, and it’s become “a total revolution of HD”.

No choice this time round. Embrace the concept of water-cooled engines or die! The V-Rod was too advanced for it's day. Europeans couldn't get enough of them and they are keenly sought after to this day.

edgelett

I see a lot more similarities to the scout than the FTR.
Yes there are SOME things in common with the FTR but to my eye and looking at the specs, it's more Scout like.
also more v-rod like

mtberbob

I see a lot more similarities to the scout than the FTR.
Yes there are SOME things in common with the FTR but to my eye and looking at the specs, it's more Scout like.
also more v-rod like
Which part is more scout like other than maybe the seating position? It has similar power and electronics to the ftr plus some.

edgelett

Which part is more scout like other than maybe the seating position? It has similar power and electronics to the ftr plus some.
the whole look of it. it's a cruiser look not a 'flat track racer' look.
the wider tyres, the lean angle, forward controls, riding position.
Sure the power is similar to the FTR but that doesn't mean it rides like the FTR
the only think i see 'similar' is the pipes.

mtberbob

Lots of valid arguments here in this thread already... All I can say is, dude, buy the Sportster S.... 😂🤣 Gonna be a bumpy straightline
the whole look of it. it's a cruiser look not a 'flat track racer' look.
the wider tyres, the lean angle, forward controls, riding position.
Sure the power is similar to the FTR but that doesn't mean it rides like the FTR
the only think i see 'similar' is the pipe
I don’t think it’s really an either or with the scout or the ftr. The inly similarity with the scout is the fact they are both cruisers, unless they make a performance model of the scout. Not really a direct competitor to either bike.

Max Kool

You have a point there, and (on paper at least) it's time for Indian to feed the Scout some extra peppers...

That said, I've seen the power/torque curves of the Pan America compared to an -admitted- tuned FTR on the same dyno, and they were a little disappointing...

mtberbob

You have a point there, and (on paper at least) it's time for Indian to feed the Scout some extra peppers...

That said, I've seen the power/torque curves of the Pan America compared to an -admitted- tuned FTR on the same dyno, and they were a little disappointing...
The scout is a competitor with the current sportster models for sure but this is definitely more performance oriented, until they bring out a base model without all the electronics if they end up doing that. Will be interesting to take it for a demo ride and see how it actually feels, might be surprising.

Mlazarus

It's hard to tell what bikes people will cross shop prior to purchase. And frankly, I'm not concerned with what the new Harley compares to. I hope they sell a gazillion of them because it will only help our passion to have more new riders in the fold. Personally, I like the looks except for the exhaust system. Luckily, Harley has tremendous after market support. I'm sure there will be a bunch of choices in the stream of commerce before long.

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
He
The capability of the rider and harnessing his own abilities with the limits of the machine on any bike is the most influential factor regardless of lean angle etc.

Crazy Harley-Davidson Biker in the Hall of Fame - YouTube

No choice this time round. Embrace the concept of water-cooled engines or die! The V-Rod was too advanced for it's day. Europeans couldn't get enough of them and they are keenly sought after to this day.
He used to be in the group and owned an ftr and did nothing but complain about it and never road it. The guy who bought his ftr loves it.

the Harley he is on, riding like that has THOUSANDS of dollars in suspension and increased ride height to do that. He is also riding very sketchy. The sport bikes could have passed him any time they wanted.

this low sprung new sportster is a scout competitor, people are seeing the high mount exhaust and thinking it’s a flat track bike.
It has minimal suspension travel, lean angle, fat front tire, and single front brake. It is ahead of the scout in terms of electronics and power. But I suspect Indian will be fixing that shortly.

K9F

They can't be serious, and lots of new owners are going to hate this bike real quick I'm afraid...

That is not true. The people that will buy this will most likely be historical Sportster owners and they will be well aware exactly what they are getting into with their eyes wide open. The cost will not make this the level entry bike it perhaps once was but nevertheless it will be a very capable machine....for a 'Sportster' and nothing else!