Has anyone tried the Indian Leather Chaps?

clintcalder

I like the idea of having the Chaps for protection, but are they also a little insulating for colder weather?

Context:
Now that it's getting colder I'm planning to continue riding until it get's in the 30s. Last winter I work ski pants over my jeans. That didn't work well because they flap a LOT, and don't really block the wind. Would leather chaps be a good thing to keep me a little warmer, or should i go with overpants made specifically for colder riding? I also like the idea of leather chaps because....I want to be the guy who has an Indian leather jacket and matching chaps.

Here's a link to their chaps.
https://www.indianmotorcycle.com/en-us/shop/apparel/riding-chaps-pants/2863712/?pfm=Browse

Any and all thoughts are welcome.

edgelett

the idea of chaps is just......not appealing to me. I personally HATE the look.

If you want to protect your legs, a set of kevlar lined denim riding pants is a much better option, they keep you warmer as well as actually protecting you if you fall off the bike.
either that, or get a 2 piece leather suit that way you can wear an Indian jacket with a set of black leather pants or something.
I ride in kevlar jeans and my Indian jacket.

clintcalder

the idea of chaps is just......not appealing to me. I personally HATE the look.

If you want to protect your legs, a set of kevlar lined denim riding pants is a much better option, they keep you warmer as well as actually protecting you if you fall off the bike.
either that, or get a 2 piece leather suit that way you can wear an Indian jacket with a set of black leather pants or something.
I ride in kevlar jeans and my Indian jacket.
Thanks! I haven't tried kevlar pants yet, but I hear a lot of good things about them.

D

Deleted member 706

Aussies tend to laugh at the idea of wearing chaps and start making Village People jokes. Kiwis are happy to wear them as their winters are significantly colder.
The great thing about chaps is that they are easy to don and doff and there's no need for them once you arrive at your destination.
If I feel that I will be more comfortable with chaps I'll be wearing my chainsaw chaps, with heated gloves my legs and knees are the next weakest part.
These days I'm reluctant to buy anything from Indian because of their escalating prices. I'm glad I bought the FTR when I did, I no longer plan to upgrade it.

edgelett

Thanks! I haven't tried kevlar pants yet, but I hear a lot of good things about them.
the brand I have is Draggin jeans, they're an Aussie company and the quality is excellent. They have heaps of options including regular riding jeans, cargo pants, chinos, skinny jeans etc. Lots of different fits.

But there are heaps of companies making options that are pretty stylish.

FTR London

Aussies tend to laugh at the idea of wearing chaps and start making Village People jokes.
This forum can be pretty dour and unintentionally humourless at times. Doesn't help, myself being so infantile and puerile I concede that, but when I saw this thread title I was genuinely helpless. Sparing the obligatory Blue Oyster Bar jokes, I haven't laughed so much since Breto started parading/dangling his gremlin bells. Leather chaps? You really wouldn't want to bend down to pick up your keys.

As Tash said, there are some very high quality kevlar armoured jeans out there with CE marking (not sure of the non European equivalent) - or why not simply buy a pair of decent leather strides? Both are warm and offer ample protection.

Er...remind me @fuknKIWI - what was that first rule of comedy again?

clintcalder

Something like this should work.

Easy on, easy off, water and wind proof.
That's a great alternative, the goal for me is easy on easy off. the leather chaps...to be completely frank...is really to be funny but enjoying being funny because i do love the feel of high quality leather. I love the Indian leather jacket. Fits fantastic and would hope the chaps would feel the same, but they have mixed reviews.

FTR London

That's a great alternative, the goal for me is easy on easy off. the leather chaps...to be completely frank...is really to be funny but enjoying being funny because i do love the feel of high quality leather. I love the Indian leather jacket. Fits fantastic and would hope the chaps would feel the same, but they have mixed reviews.
I would be interested to know which Indian branded leather you are referring to? There is a very nice Brando style one - were it not for the somewhat dubious lace up sides. But I really like the now evidently discontinued tasteful racer style jacket (same one that Max has) which seems to have been replaced by a newer design in an awful mesh/textile substitute.

Chaps? Perhaps if you're imminently planning a trip to Sturgis - even then it's highly questionable. I guess Slash got away with them (sort of) in the November Rain video.

clintcalder

I would be interested to know which Indian branded leather you are referring to? There is a very nice Brando style one - were it not for the somewhat dubious lace up sides. But I really like the now evidently discontinued tasteful racer style jacket (same one that Max has) which seems to have been replaced by a newer design in an awful mesh/textile substitute.

Chaps? Perhaps if you're imminently planning a trip to Sturgis - even then it's highly questionable. I guess Slash got away with them (sort of) in the November Rain video.
I have this jacket, and absolutely love it. It runs large, so i went a typical jacket size down and it's loosened up really nice https://www.indianmotorcycle.com/en-us/shop/apparel/riding-gear/2862634/?pfm=Browse

D

Deleted member 706

@FTR London
You really need a reminder?
I haven't heard any other laughter but I thought I heard someone say Knut needs a smack in the head.

FTR London

This sort of riding jeans - look brilliant.

I love this sequence....fills me with a warm feeling of being alive and that unique frission of excitement you get before riding a motorcycle. Beautiful scenery, shot in BC. There used to be member that posted on here that posted the most wonderful photos from his rides from that part of the world. Reminds me of the videogame 'Days Gone' - although that was set in the Oregon Cascades.

Last edited:

mark.lb

I think chaps are more suited to the big V-twin/cruiser crowd. I saw a lot of riders wearing them when it started getting cold here in Pittsburgh. I don’t see many sport bike riders wearing them even in the cold.

Attachments

• 53E0C840-D544-4AA3-9A51-0B9F0369D289.jpeg
    53E0C840-D544-4AA3-9A51-0B9F0369D289.jpeg
    579.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 3C5CD90F-B8B5-470B-84B2-280775349241.jpeg
    3C5CD90F-B8B5-470B-84B2-280775349241.jpeg
    568.9 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

mark.lb

Walk into Roy’s and make a few chaps jokes. They might have to carry you out!

Attachments

• 1BC55B85-9FBF-4134-9CC6-B1E06BBFE2A1.jpeg
    1BC55B85-9FBF-4134-9CC6-B1E06BBFE2A1.jpeg
    508.2 KB · Views: 17

kiwi dave

I purchased a pair of chaps when I was riding late November in California. As soon as I left the coast and gained in altitude it got really cold.

I found a motorcycle shop in Palm Springs that sold chaps, they were the only thing available for my price bracket. Since I wore them over my jeans, they were easy to fit and remove, without having to hide in some smelly dunny at the local bar.

Then the teasing started, particularly those who wanted me to go all natural, wearing just the chaps without anything else! Of course I declined their request. I'm not gay, just happy!

I've worn them on many a ride here in New Zealand, it can get very cold in winter, especially in the South Island. Of course the stick continues, but the teasers are secretly jealous, I'm sure they are.

The main benefits are easy to remove and refit as they are worn on top of my denims. I watch those who wear "all the gear, all the time", and kudos to them, but it just ain't me.

Y.M.M.V.

D

Deleted member 706

Who gives a flying fuck if they keep you warm and riding.
Anyway it's not your problem when you are on the inside looking out.