HELP! Wunderkind turn signal install

Mikeypie55

Hey all, New FTR owner here. I recently got my bike and started ordering some parts for it. I got my hands on some Wunderkind Little Ones turn signals. The company I bought them from claimed "plug and play" on their website. To me, that mean, unplug old ones, plug in new ones. That was not the case and the company apologized and has since changed their verbiage on the website.

The problem now is, I just plainly do not understand the install. It comes with resistors and solderless butt connectors but it still doesn't make sense to me. This isn't my first time around mods or wiring but their instructions are hilariously vague. The bike has 2 miles on it and I'm just being careful. It looks to me like I'm supposed to cut the plugs off of the stock turn signals and connect them with the supplied resistors? Has anyone install these turn signals that could point me in the right direction? I'm asked the company and I'm having a hard time getting a straight answer. Any help would be much appreciated!!

Thanks so much!

*I've included a picture of the supplied hardwarehardware.jpg

edgelett

Just read through the instructions - yes it looks like you cut the originals and then add the resistors and solder etc. it says which resistors to use in the instructions.
I don't have these installed - I have Rizoma indicators which came with an adaptor cable so they can just be plugged in but there is so much excess wiring i'm likely to cut them anyway to reduce it a bit.

Hopefully someone else who has these can chime in and confirm.

Mikeypie55

Just read through the instructions - yes it looks like you cut the originals and then add the resistors and solder etc. it says which resistors to use in the instructions.
I don't have these installed - I have Rizoma indicators which came with an adaptor cable so they can just be plugged in but there is so much excess wiring i'm likely to cut them anyway to reduce it a bit.

Hopefully someone else who has these can chime in and confirm.
I appreciate the input! I just don't understand the connections they chose to include when you're working with bare wires on either side of the resistor. Maybe I'm an idiot, or just reading too much in to it. Or maybe a little bit of both. Thanks again!

kiwi dave

If I'm understanding this right, the supplied resistors should be wired in parallel with the LED indicators, to attempt to mimic the current that was demanded by the original incandescent indicators.

Niddam

I would even leave out the resistors for a test, possibly it works without, as they replace led turn signals with led....

Now if I interpret that correctly.
Connect the resistor to the original cable and at the output no matter which side of the resistor then connect the turn signal, each for the right and left turn signal.
Possibly cut off the connectors and couplings on the resistor, then use the welding connectors.

Last edited:

JDigi

+1 for trying this without the new resistors considering it's all LED in the first place...

If you're against cutting those wires, there are other small turn signals that come with stock connectors that are truly plug-and-play. The NRC ones are for instance.

edgelett

+1 for trying this without the new resistors considering it's all LED in the first place...

If you're against cutting those wires, there are other small turn signals that come with stock connectors that are truly plug-and-play. The NRC ones are for instance.
my Rizomas are LED - still needed resistors.

another thought - maybe send Wunderkind an email? they are good at replying and giving tips and info

noksterism

You can wire in connectors to match, if you're handy. I think these are the right ones. Order extras, the process is easy to screw up.

Crimping tool makes it a heck of a lot easier.

Definitely weird that they put those connectors on just the resistors and nothing else, and those instructions are hilariously vague where it counts.
I'd chop off those connectors and wire the resistor in series and use one of the JST connectors to make it plug and play.

Last edited:

noksterism

Also, you can try unplugging one of the OEM signals and sticking the wire ends from one of the new ones into the receiving connector with hazards turned on to see how it affects flash rate. The effect is immediately apparent when resistance is applied.

Disclaimer - do your best not to short anything if you test them this way. I did accidentally blow a fuse by shorting a rear turn signal while replacing the rear harness connector that the previous owner chopped off. If I remember correctly the affected fuse was marked "O2 Heater", not "Lighting" as one would expect. Headache figuring that one out.

Last edited:

Max Kool

This thread is exactly why I didn’t buy the Wunderkind indicators but Motoism instead.

2320E56E-C3E5-4602-9EE4-9FAD289EF69C.png
1427FAAC-7715-4B32-9456-86F883E624AB.png

plug and play, including the proper resistors.

Murdock

It is really not plug&play. Yes, you need the connector from the old (original) turn signals or buy some additional. The included resistors are a mass article and not soldered together by Wunderkind. Cut off their connectors and solder them directly.

turn signal <--> resistor <--> original plug ... and done.

Do not use the solderless butt connectors: They may be fine for a quick and dirty repair on the road but not really reliable. Use Heat shrink hose to isolate them properly.

Last edited:

Max Kool

Tbh, this hasn’t much to do with canbus. The VCU of the bike simply expects a certain current drawn by each blinker. If an aftermarket indicator draws too little, it’s behavior becomes unpredictable.

Last edited:

Studi FTR 1200 S

ist einfach
Entfernen Sie die Lampe Freilegen des Kabels Schneiden Sie das Original durch.
Der Stecker muss mit beiden Adern abisoliert und mit einem heißen Fön zusammengezogen werden. dann schrumpfschlauch drüber.

Attachments

• IMG_7302.jpg
    IMG_7302.jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_3524.jpg
    IMG_3524.jpg
    573.9 KB · Views: 45
  • 8AA0E345-7C12-41E1-8B01-06763AF50390.JPG
    8AA0E345-7C12-41E1-8B01-06763AF50390.JPG
    350.2 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_7302.jpg
    IMG_7302.jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_3524.jpg
    IMG_3524.jpg
    573.9 KB · Views: 39
  • 8AA0E345-7C12-41E1-8B01-06763AF50390.JPG
    8AA0E345-7C12-41E1-8B01-06763AF50390.JPG
    350.2 KB · Views: 43

Mikeypie55

my Rizomas are LED - still needed resistors.

another thought - maybe send Wunderkind an email? they are good at replying and giving tips and info
I have sent them an email. They say basically “it’s not plug and play. Simply replace the OEM with the little ones and done!” Lol now that I’ve solved the mystery of the “plug and play” there isn’t much for them to do.

Mikeypie55

You can wire in connectors to match, if you're handy. I think these are the right ones. Order extras, the process is easy to screw up.

Crimping tool makes it a heck of a lot easier.

Definitely weird that they put those connectors on just the resistors and nothing else, and those instructions are hilariously vague where it counts.
I'd chop off those connectors and wire the resistor in series and use one of the JST connectors to make it plug and play.
I think this is the way I’m going to go. If I’m already chopping the stock plugs off, I may as well test them and see if they work!

Mikeypie55

It is really not plug&play. Yes, you need the connector from the old (original) turn signals or buy some additional. The included resistors are a mass article and not soldered together by Wunderkind. Cut off their connectors and solder them directly.

turn signal <--> resistor <--> original plug ... and done.

Do not use the solderless butt connectors: They may be fine for a quick and dirty repair on the road but not really reliable. Use Heat shrink hose to isolate them properly.
It sounds stupid but those simple directions you just put in there is actually exactly what I needed! Lol thank you

Mikeypie55

Thank you so much for the info everyone! The help is much appreciated. The jury is still out on what I’m going to do. If I use the little ones, I’ll be chopping up my stock turn signals. If I’m feeling unusually lazy, I may go with a different brand. Thank you again!