Honda Grom - Gronkhana

edgelett

yeah minigp is a stack of fun too.
one of the reasons I was attracted to buying the Hornet way back in 2006 was that there is a Hornet Cup in the UK for the 600's.
They got better lap times than bigger 'faster' bikes on the big circuits cause they were lighter and easier to turn.
The rules were a LOT stricter in terms of allowed mods (for parity reasons) but it is what spawned all the insane mods that became available for that bike.

smaller bikes can be a blast. but lots of people (like my dad) don't like them because 'oh it has to be at least a 1000cc otherwise why bother'.
maximum top speed isn't everything.

having said that I also love my FTR - but again, it's not the max top speed I care about (couldn't care less to be honest) it's the torque and acceleration, and the way it handles the corners.

Sullaha

Small bike racing is the best, many national champs here started with racing buckets as we call miniature road racing classes formulas 4 and 5. Unlike racing big bikes the risks are lower the costs are far lower so aggressive riding as seen in those vids is the order of the day. Our rules are oddly strict and permissive at the same time. No competition engine or gear box parts but completely open chassis so we get old NF4 RS125 chassis' with hotted up farm bike motors or like mine below, CB125T motors shoehorned into an RG50 chassis (this was dubbed the "cube" bucket after Aprilia's GP bike at the time, fast but wayward as all hell and there may have been fire at some stage!)
Straight two stroke 50cc bikes (F5) that make 19 rwhp are the norm and are a joy to ride, my RG (pic 2) makes about 7 rwhp, it's not so joyous and definitely not triumphant!
Finally my full fat F4 big bore CB125T (see I'm not that anti Honda @edgelett and @SURLY !:p) mounted in a ZXR250 chassis and set up for kart tracks, the stiff chassis and excellent front end mean knee sliders get hell unlike my leathers, helmet, gloves and boots did when it was in the RG frame ;) this was the bike that I learned how to scrub speed with the front wheel entering turns, I can't think of another place that one could learn that in relative safety.

Attachments

• RGCB125T.jpg
    RGCB125T.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 5
  • FB_IMG_1440106098516.jpg
    FB_IMG_1440106098516.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 6
  • gk2501_2_2446.jpg
    gk2501_2_2446.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 6

Unruly Rider

I got a Monkey, which is the mini bike version of the Grom, my son and my son in law both got Groms. We have so much fun on the mini bikes. It is like microGP everywhere we go, it is to the point where what you had for dinner and who had the last shit determines who wins the race.
I'd like to buy a Honda Monkey and build one of these for tooling around town with my son:
Honda-Monkey-125-JAAK-By-Zeus-Custom-0-Hero.jpg

Zeus-Custom%E2%80%99s-Honda-Monkey-125-%E2%80%98JAAK%E2%80%99-Is-A-Testament-To-The-Bobber-Aesthetic-3.jpg

Zeus-Custom%E2%80%99s-Honda-Monkey-125-%E2%80%98JAAK%E2%80%99-Is-A-Testament-To-The-Bobber-Aesthetic-2.jpg

Zeus-Custom%E2%80%99s-Honda-Monkey-125-%E2%80%98JAAK%E2%80%99-Is-A-Testament-To-The-Bobber-Aesthetic-6.jpg

Unruly Rider

Any plans for a 181cc big-bore kit with either 2v or 4v head? I've been looking into it, some are getting 21-24hp out of these little engines... sure beats the snot out of the factory 8-9hp in stock form.

D

Deleted member 192

Even tho the bikes weigh nothing and the speeds are low, what we have witnessed here requires the same skill as FTR Hooliganism.
Completely awesome!!