Howdy - tell me why i shouldnt get an FTR!

Gunboypaul

Last year I got myself a kawasaki z900rs SE - snatchy throttle aside (uk so E5 emission issue)

Long story short did a bit of work on it and ended up being offered a tidy profit.

Took that equity and got an amazing deal on a harley lowrider s

Tuned, custom exhaust and i paid well below list price - problem is anything other than 20 mins and i am in bits from the ride position.

Its also a boat. Sooo heavy.

So i am left with a bike that i bought for the deal not for the love of it.

Always dreamt of the ftr as my next bike so want to know if it will be more like my z900.

Convince me!

edgelett

Yes, the FTR will be more like the Z900 - more upright riding position, and although it's heavy the centre of gravity is in a much better spot so you don't notice it when riding at all.
Perfect bike for twisties.

BUT
Test ride it first, you don't want to be in a similar situation and find out after you've spent the coin that it's not everything you hoped for.

ftwftr

I'm on the fence about selling my ftr for the z900rs. The things I hate about the FTR, are terrible fuel mapping stock, rideable with a tune but still not right, gearbox issues on 1-2 upshift and 5-6 upshift, terrible fuel range, 19"/18" tires. The love list is much shorter, the motor is fantastic when the mapping is right, and the looks are great.

What was the love/hate with the z900rs?

Gunboypaul

I'm on the fence about selling my ftr for the z900rs. The things I hate about the FTR, are terrible fuel mapping stock, rideable with a tune but still not right, gearbox issues on 1-2 upshift and 5-6 upshift, terrible fuel range, 19"/18" tires. The love list is much shorter, the motor is fantastic when the mapping is right, and the looks are great.

What was the love/hate with the z900rs?
Very little to hate - i had a 50th SE and ended up having my head truned by an offer from a collector that was too good to turn down.

The throttle is incredibly snatchy. Meaning power delivery isnt smooth. it can catch you out and throw you off the back with ease - apparently an after market remap does the trick.

I would recommend the z900rs and if i dont go for an ftr i will get another RS

FTR London

The things I hate about the FTR, are terrible fuel mapping stock
Absolutely. No one would disagree with that.

rideable with a tune but still not right,
Then you clearly didn't get the 'right' tune.

I'm on the fence about selling my ftr for the z900rs. The things I hate about the FTR, are terrible fuel mapping stock, rideable with a tune but still not right, gearbox issues on 1-2 upshift and 5-6 upshift
I've had no issues with the transmission whatsoever. Occasionally clunky but the slipper clutch is beautifully balanced on mine although I tend to kick it up without. But even occasional clutch-less downshifts at low revs are smooth.

terrible fuel range,
Again, no one would disagree.

19"/18" tires.
In its inception, it was supposed to be derived from a flat tracker - or at least that's what they promised. Problem was, stock, the '19 looked nothing remotely like one or the gorgeous project bike that they had tantalised us with. What did remain (such as the 19/18 wheels - which was a selling point for me) was systematically eliminated in favour of the more vanilla and soulless 'market appeal' of the 22 iterations to the point now that the 'FTR' moniker is a complete misnomer imo. However, for anyone buying one the current 17" wheels do allow for a far greater tyre choice and the motors are certainly more refined.

The love list is much shorter, the motor is fantastic when the mapping is right
From the sound of it, it wasn't though.

and the looks are great.
Stock, I'd disagree and I can't bear some of those new fancy colour schemes and over accessorised bikes.

Each to their own though.

Walrus

No. 1 reason to avoid the FTR:
Kickstand placement was engineered by an idiot.
Impossible to find.
No. 2 reason to avoid the FTR:
It ain't a Harley.

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
Ride one first. It’s not everyone’s cup of tea.

I came from liter bikes and sport touring bikes. I’ve kept my ftr the longest. Even bought a second one.

It’s quirky, fun, kinda rare, and pretty.

But I like quirky bikes.

MacBayne

Do NOT get an FTR if there is photo radar in your area. I seem to have to pay a monthly subscription to the government IOT ride mine.

Nute

Where in the UK are you OP? Im in Hampshire if you want to have a look. 2022 "S"

Go ride one, there are a few dealers in the UK, though their prices vary somewhat.

I loved mine when I flirt got it then went off it a (little) bit, but the more I ride it the more I appreciate it. I have other bikes but they are a bit vanilla in comparison. Yes the feeling isn't refined, the tank range is crap, its a big vibratey twin but it is great fun. Never had any trans issues. I think its the prettiest bike there is but eye of the beholder and all that.

broncoguy27

I fell in love with the looks of the FTR, and after I bought one I truly enjoy this bike.
I will tell you right this second that it is quirky. The throttle does some strange things but nothing dangerous, it surges a little bit in mid-range if you're holding the throttle steady. My biggest concern about this bike was that it was going to be a little difficult to reach the ground with with my 30-inch inseam. Turns out that I can get the balls of my feet down okay because the bike is pretty narrow.
People say that it's heavy, but compared to what I used to ride it weighs nothing, it's narrow, and it's relatively well balanced and easy to move around.
It is by no stretch of the imagination the fastest bike I have ever ridden, or the best handling. What it does have is plenty of mid-range power and it handles good enough to do anything that's not technical twisties pretty darn well. After reading about them inseveral places, I had gotten the impression that it was almost not rideable with the stock tires and the stock mapping. Having put almost a thousand miles on mine, I don't really have any complaints about either one. Could it be smoother with a tune? Yes and I may do that eventually. Do I really care if it's surges a little bit or I have to wait an extra 90 seconds to let it warm up? No. I bought the bike with the understanding that it was a little quirky, and it's absolutely true. I live in rural Alabama with no serious twisties local to my home and I can throw it into corners fine with the stock rubber on it, if I ever make it up to the dragon again with this machine, I will have to understand its limitations and ride accordingly.
I love the way the bike looks, I'm satisfied with its performance and handling, and I'm glad it has a few dumb little quirks because it makes it a lot less boring than something perfect would be. No matter how stupid that sounds.
If I was doing 7 or 800 MI days, it would probably not be my first choice. If I wanted something I could absolutely flog through corners, it would probably not be my first choice again. But it is a great all-arounder, and unlike more sporty bikes, it makes usable power before you're exceeding the speed limit.

Axs1312

Terrible range. With a 3 gallon usable tank, I typically get about between 90-100 miles per tank (mostly highway and low traffic areas) before the light goes off!

broncoguy27

Terrible range. With a 3 gallon usable tank, I typically get about between 90-100 miles per tank (mostly highway and low traffic areas) before the light goes off!
I find I don't mind the range if I'm actually out riding. Getting off the bike to stretch for a minute and maybe getting a soda doesn't bother me that much.
Where I don't like the range is when I'm running errands locally. It seems every three trips to town I have to fill it up. Again, it's not the end of the world and I knew it buying the bike.