Howdy - tell me why i shouldnt get an FTR!

broncoguy27

I fixed it with fuelmoto tune. The surging made me crazy as I ride with cruise control often and the surging happened exactly at or around the allowed speed limit which made a half and hour ride highly unnerving. Have to add that I'm a novice rider in my late thirties and this is my first and only bike.
If I was a novice rider now, and my bike did that, I would need new underwear.

MacBayne

Mine has an occasional surge in mid-range, it startled me the first couple times but to read about it or hear about it, you would think the bike explodes or something.
I am going to posit that your bike DOES NOT have a surge in the midrange, but actually has a flat spot.
The FTR has a flat spot between 3000 and 5500 rpm...

broncoguy27

I am going to posit that your bike DOES NOT have a surge in the midrange, but actually has a flat spot.
Weeelllll.... While maintaining speed, not accelerating, the bike tends to stumble a little tiny bit. If you would like to call that a flat spot under no acceleration, that is fine. If you would like to call it Jimmy that is fine. This is why I hate the internet, instead of having a discussion, you want the place semantics games.

MacBayne

Weeelllll.... While maintaining speed, not accelerating, the bike tends to stumble a little tiny bit. If you would like to call that a flat spot under no acceleration, that is fine. If you would like to call it Jimmy that is fine. This is why I hate the internet, instead of having a discussion, you want the place semantics games.
If you want an issue fixed, you have to play the semantic games. It's not my fault you don't know what you are doing.

A stumble at steady speed is not a surge.

I sure hope you don't give advice to people...

ftwftr

If you want an issue fixed, you have to play the semantic games. It's not my fault you don't know what you are doing.

A stumble at steady speed is not a surge.

I sure hope you don't give advice to people...
Not sure why you have such a pissy attitude, but it is widely known that the FTR stock as a surging issue around 3000-4500 rpm. You can set the cruise and not touch the throttle and it surges, this is well documented across the web. Sure you can look at a dyno chart and see that it has a torque dip in the midrange, what you're referring to as a flat spot. That is not going to cause the bike to buck and surge at constant throttle. I tune will fix the surging, but the torque dip will still be there. Instead of berating this guy for what he is feeling, how about offer some useful suggestions.

broncoguy27

He's obviously been on my bike pretty often, he's also raced vehicles off-road and has designed and modified vehicle upgrades like I did.
And we're back to this is why I'm not a huge fan of the internet. Everybody who has never ridden a bike, and only reads reviews has all the answers.

wallycycle

Would you please define for this layman what a flat spot is and how it manifests itself while riding.

wallycycle

Not sure why you have such a pissy attitude, but it is widely known that the FTR stock as a surging issue around 3000-4500 rpm. You can set the cruise and not touch the throttle and it surges, this is well documented across the web. Sure you can look at a dyno chart and see that it has a torque dip in the midrange, what you're referring to as a flat spot. That is not going to cause the bike to buck and surge at constant throttle. I tune will fix the surging, but the torque dip will still be there. Instead of berating this guy for what he is feeling, how about offer some useful suggestions.
Both of our 2019s prior to the Fuel Moto/PV treatment did not have this surging, so thankful for that. And pretty sure they didn't have "flat spots", but I'll wait until I hear from MacBayne to definitively state that. We did the tune to fix the cold start issue, the occasional self-blipping throttle on down shifts and the general fluffy fueling.

Please don't ask me to define "fluffy".

broncoguy27

Both of our 2019s prior to the Fuel Moto/PV treatment did not have this surging, so thankful for that. And pretty sure they didn't have "flat spots", but I'll wait until I hear from MacBayne to definitively state that. We did the tune to fix the cold start issue, the occasional self-blipping throttle on down shifts and the general fluffy fueling.

Please don't ask me to define "fluffy".
Mine's a 2019, and the bit of surging definitely won't kill you but it surprises you sometimes. Eventually I will do the tune to fix it, but it's not something I can confess that I'm really worried about.

btl68

My '22 surges up and down 50 to 100rpm's while in cruise at 70mph or so. You can feel it and watch the rpm's on the tach go up and down, up and down. Got the Fuel Moto tune in it and it made no difference in that, but fuels better for most riding.

I am NOT a newbie, as I currently have seven bikes in the barn and have been riding for over 45 years.

None of my other bikes, carb'd or injected, do this.

Flat spot my ass.

Azamatka

My '22 surges up and down 50 to 100rpm's while in cruise at 70mph or so. You can feel it and watch the rpm's on the tach go up and down, up and down. Got the Fuel Moto tune in it and it made no difference in that, but fuels better for most riding.

I am NOT a newbie, as I currently have seven bikes in the barn and have been riding for over 45 years.

None of my other bikes, carb'd or injected, do this.

Flat spot my ass.
You need to readjust your FM tune. Just contact them and explain that you'd want to fine tune your ECU and they will ask you to record your riding and send the recording. They will base their new tune on that recording file and that will help immensely with surging.

As for my 22 FTR R Carbon, I can totally confirm I had heavy surging, to such an extent that I contacted my Indian dealership to seek for advice about what to do if I can not ride my bike at 60kmh/3000rpm/3rd gear on cruise control. Fuelmoto's second tune helped with the surging immensely. Newbie rider, 39, first bike, 3000 miles ridden.

broncoguy27

You need to readjust your FM tune. Just contact them and explain that you'd want to fine tune your ECU and they will ask you to record your riding and send the recording. They will base their new tune on that recording file and that will help immensely with surging.

As for my 22 FTR R Carbon, I can totally confirm I had heavy surging, to such an extent that I contacted my Indian dealership to seek for advice about what to do if I can not ride my bike at 60kmh/3000rpm/3rd gear on cruise control. Fuelmoto's second tune helped with the surging immensely. Newbie rider, 39, first bike, 3000 miles ridden.
Lot of bike for a first time!! Be careful, and it's a awesome machine

R. Warshawsky

Last year I got myself a kawasaki z900rs SE - snatchy throttle aside (uk so E5 emission issue)

Long story short did a bit of work on it and ended up being offered a tidy profit.

Took that equity and got an amazing deal on a harley lowrider s

Tuned, custom exhaust and i paid well below list price - problem is anything other than 20 mins and i am in bits from the ride position.

Its also a boat. Sooo heavy.

So i am left with a bike that i bought for the deal not for the love of it.

Always dreamt of the ftr as my next bike so want to know if it will be more like my z900.

Convince me!
I rode a 1979 KZ1000 until the wheels fell off... fabulous motorcycle, took me to Alaska and back...but other than having a larger fuel tank, it couldn't hold a candle to the FTR...