Howdy - tell me why i shouldnt get an FTR!

pushit

The range also wouldn't be that much of an issue if it didn't take 15mins to fill because of the last .5 gal

Nute

Terrible range. With a 3 gallon usable tank, I typically get about between 90-100 miles per tank (mostly highway and low traffic areas) before the light goes off!
...and the fact that the available range disappears when the fuel light comes on is pretty annoying...

wallycycle

We bought our FTRs for the looks. Period. Just like any bike, there will be some items for the owner that aren't optimum. Yes, an extra .5 Gallon would be nice. OEM fueling with our '19s had issues but sorted with some $. Topping off the tank requires a bit of patience. And on a warm day, it can get a bit toasty at stop lights.

If the bike speaks to you, then it's likely you are going to enjoy the ownership experience. There are so many positive attributes. Better not to get me started.

Bomverh69

Well I've had quite a few of the super naked bikes (STFv4, Tuono) and loved them! but you do tend to go faster than you intended.
When i first rode the FTR i thought it was under powered but soon worked out you just need to ride the torque and then its got plenty of go, not the same as the euro bikes but enough.

This thing will pull 6th gear from way low down where as my 1200 monster couldn't needed to be above 4,000 to even think about it.

Tank filling is a pain but tank range not really an issue in UK . my streetfighter used get about 90miles and the tunon about 120 but had 18lts tank!!!

Test ride is the only way to be sure.

Madmax6454

I had a Z900RS and now I have an FTR. Don't believe all these reviews. The maping and throttle control is shit. It seem that it was designed for long sweeping corners where you don't need throttle control. The bike is an updated cruiser. It would be at the bottom of my list of touring bikes. If I could find someone in Australia to remap it and give me correct throttle control I would be happy. I prefer the Z900RS.

Azamatka

I find I don't mind the range if I'm actually out riding. Getting off the bike to stretch for a minute and maybe getting a soda doesn't bother me that much.
Where I don't like the range is when I'm running errands locally. It seems every three trips to town I have to fill it up. Again, it's not the end of the world and I knew it buying the bike.
You might want to try fuelmoto.com guys. You just need to buy a Power Vision 4 device from them for around USD400 and then record the stock tune using the PV4. Once you have it, you need to send it to fuelmoto guys so that they analyse it and send a new tune for you to flash on your back. If the new tune won't work, you just need to record some 10-20 mins of your general riding with the PV4 and send to fuelmoto again. They will send you an adjusted version of the tune which you can flash. This should iron the fueling issues out.

Worked with my FTR, turned it into a better machine.

edgelett

I had a Z900RS and now I have an FTR. Don't believe all these reviews. The maping and throttle control is shit. It seem that it was designed for long sweeping corners where you don't need throttle control. The bike is an updated cruiser. It would be at the bottom of my list of touring bikes. If I could find someone in Australia to remap it and give me correct throttle control I would be happy. I prefer the Z900RS.
what year is your FTR and what model?
I have a 2019 FTRS so I can switch modes and it defintiely doesn't feel like a cruiser to me, i ride around tight twisties in the Adelaide Hills all the time.
I also have my FTR tuned via ECU flash which helps make the TC interfere less.
have you tried turning TC off or is yours the base model?

irsh

My Superhawk had about the same range and my BMW/Husky 650 had a similar under-seat fuel tank so I've dealt with these things before this bike, not a big deal.

Was pushing the bike around the garage today and it reminded me of the early 70's CB750 my father gave me when I first started riding street bikes. It was also low, somewhat heavy, and very solid feeling. I love motorcycles.

Last edited:

broncoguy27

I don't understand. It's like people have a panic attack because the bike feels a little bit weird at mid-range. It's by no stretch of the imagination of sport bike, but it's not a cruiser either. It makes plenty of usable power in a useful place in the power band.

broncoguy27

It has a little tiny occasional surge. I think people look at the YouTube reviews and need to have panic attacks. I also think a lot of them need to spend quality time on something like a 75 or 7 Honda hawk.

broncoguy27

Mine has an occasional surge in mid-range, it startled me the first couple times but to read about it or hear about it, you would think the bike explodes or something.

broncoguy27

That's pretty much how I grew up, bikes or cars or whatever. You understood how it was going to act and coped with it.
Of course, some of the YouTubers are almost jumping off the bike and screaming in terror.

Azamatka

Mine has an occasional surge in mid-range, it startled me the first couple times but to read about it or hear about it, you would think the bike explodes or something.
I fixed it with fuelmoto tune. The surging made me crazy as I ride with cruise control often and the surging happened exactly at or around the allowed speed limit which made a half and hour ride highly unnerving. Have to add that I'm a novice rider in my late thirties and this is my first and only bike.