I'm Done For The Season - It's Too Cold!!

EllenGtrGrl

Well, the battery is disconnected (since I can't hook up a battery tender, due to a lack of a power outlet where I park my FTR1200, I disconnect the battery, to keep it from discharging - I've done this for years, with good results), fuel stabilizer is in the tank, and a sheet has been draped over my FTR1200 to keep the dust off of it. Yes, I've called it a riding season (actually I did all of this in the middle of October). Why? Well, its waaaay to cold to ride on my typical morning commute (the current temp is 29F/-2C ), and it's not much warmer when I get home from work. As a result, it gets downright nasty riding at highway speeds. Also, it gets dark around here by 5 pm at the latest, and I don't like riding in the dark, due to all of the critters who like to cross the backroads I ride on, when it's dark outside (nope, deer strikes while riding a motorcycle can seriously mess your day up), and car drivers suffering from a case of "I didn't see you." We had an Indian Summer last week, for a few days (temps got as warm as 71F/22C during the day), but it was still too cold in the morning for a nice commute on the FTR1200 (the low 40s Fahrenheit/ around 5 to 6 Centigrade), and there was still that bugaboo of it being dark by the time I got home from work. Besides, I didn't feel like laying on the cement to hook up the battery again, only to have to unhook it again a few days later, when temps went back to being cold for good :). As it is, we've already had snow flurries, and serious snow isn't that far off (we've had blizzards in early December), along with REALLY cold temperatures (-10F/-23C or colder). Such is life on the frozen tundra of Wisconsin. ;)

It was a good riding season (once I got the battery issues sorted out), and I put some good mileage on my FTR1200. I'm looking forward to putting on even more miles with the bike next year. I know that more than a few forum members live in colder regions like I do. Have you put your motorcycles away, and called it a season?

Last edited:

mark.lb

I live in Pittsburgh,PA but I have not put the bikes away quite yet. On 9/30/2020 I purchased a 2021 Indian Chief Vintage. (I always wanted a two wheel locomotive!) It comes with a 19 inch quick release Lexan windshield. It has greatly extended my riding season. Yesterday we got up to a balmy 50*F by 2:00pm. I rode for about 2 hours. The windshield makes all the difference. With the right gear a 30 minute ride on a 45*F day is doable. Forecast for Thu, Fri, Sat, Sun is low 60*s. Hopefully I can get a ride in on my XS750 and FTR which are both still naked. I have a old Vetter Rooster mini fairing in the attic for my Yamaha. I used it back in my commute to college days. Might be time to reinstall it after 40 years! I will definitely be in the market for a Indian FTR windscreen next year. It should help extend my sport bike riding season.
Ride On!

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
Luckily i can run home during lunch and grab mine, so i get a little ride back to work and a "long ride home" after just before it gets dark.

I did this yesterday, washed the bike, now its snowing out side :(

edgelett

thankfully for us down under it's just getting good haha.
honestly though, we don't need to 'winterise' our bikes here, it just doesn't get that cold. most I do during winter is a battery charger just in case I can't get out for 3-4 weeks.

sorry to hear your season is over!

mark.lb

I usually fly to Coral Springs, FL, rent a car and stay with my sister a few weeks in February. It give me a chance to get out of the cold weather, visit and play some golf. Not sure I want on a commercial flight right now. I’m toying with the idea of renting a trailer and taking my Vintage with me. I can hit Daytona bike week with my new ride and have some fun. Depends on what Florida does with Covid this winter.

S2Davies

Just parked mine on a table lift in the garage ready for all the winter months tinkering. I've always parked my bikes up for the winter months (I know I'm a wimp), but I've never used a fuel stabiliser though. Does it make much of a difference?

LoudFTR

This is a great video explaining fuel stabilizers and it features the FTR. I don't use a stabilizer, but I do top off the tank with 92 octane ethanol free fuel every time I fill up.

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
If your bike is going to sit for more than two months and you cant get efree fuel, use stabil, ive used it for years in all of my on and offroad bikes, as well as lawn equipment here in chilly PA

Last edited:

mark.lb

Agree with K9F on this one.
It is the road salt and resulting corrosion that stops me from riding not the cold. I always run my bikes through the winter. Start them in the garage with the door open. Catch a warmish day and run them in the driveway or take a quick ride around the block. (However the thought of winter still depresses me. No daily motorcycle rides, no golf, and I’m too old for more children!)

K9F

Just parked mine on a table lift in the garage ready for all the winter months tinkering. I've always parked my bikes up for the winter months (I know I'm a wimp), but I've never used a fuel stabiliser though. Does it make much of a difference?

Very surprised Stu. I find on a cold, crisp, clear and dry Winter's day ride-outs can be even more exhilarating and much better for the soul than in the warmer seasons. Try it just once you may even agree!

And yes with your military background I am a little shocked at how soft you must have become. 😇

Fuel stabilizer? Never personally had the need or desire to use it in our climate. Just fill her up to the brim, may take a while on the FTR as we all know and put her on a tender if you really must insist upon a lay up? Meet's off then let me know when it's suitable, see you in the Spring maybe?

S2Davies

Very surprised Stu. I find on a cold, crisp, clear and dry Winter's day ride-outs can be even more exhilarating and much better for the soul than in the warmer seasons. Try it just once you may even agree!

And yes with your military background I am a little shocked at how soft you must have become. 😇

Fuel stabilizer? Never personally had the need or desire to use it in our climate. Just fill her up to the brim, may take a while on the FTR as we all know and put her on a tender if you really must insist upon a lay up? Meet's off then let me know when it's suitable, see you in the Spring maybe?
When I was in the mob I used to commute all through the winters on a bike and to be honest my riding gear was atrocious compared to what I'm using these days. I think my dislike of winter riding is more down to my lack of enthusiasm for cleaning the bike than the frozen fingers, I've got better gloves now. :D

Reactions: K9F

Staedtler

I ride through the winter, though not on the FTR, regularly ride down to 0c (32f), but hate having to clean the bike of the salt. Plus the grit can be a touch slippery to say the least.
We had our first road salting in the midlands 2 weeks ago, thankfully all of the rain has washed it off since....
I've ridden Roadmasters with heated seats and they're great in the cold, were it not for the plastics tyres they fit to those bikes.

K9F

When I was in the mob I used to commute all through the winters on a bike............... :D

I know exactly where you are coming from. I remember vividly my trips to home from Brize and Lyneham at 3am early stack riding the 100 miles home when temperatures could be as low as -6 Celsius across Salibury Plain. Riding for necessity can be painful, thankfully 'riding for pleasure' these days are exactly what it states, nevertheless there are some extremely pleasurable Winter days where we live.

EllenGtrGrl

Salt season is just around the corner.
Ugh! You you had to remind me of that didn't you! ;) It's messy enough on a car, and it corrodes (motorcycle) engine cases, and chains. Hence, another reason why Ye Olde FTR has been put away for the winter.

Last edited:

EllenGtrGrl

I just got to state college... they already salted all the roads out here :(
Why'd they do that? Were they expecting icy roads in the morning when commuters leave for work (making the early morning commute on icy/slippery roads is no fun - especially when you live in a metro area like I do [thre Milwaukee metro area], since you're also dealing with crowded traffic)?

Around here (Wisconsin), they mainly get crazy with the salt if the snow is going to fly, is already in progress (they spread salt while they're plowing), or it's sleeting.