Indian FTR 1200 s vs. KTM 1290r Super Duke Two somewhat similar bikes with different personalities.

arobert3

I am about to trade my Triumph Speed Triple for an FTR so I will give a comparison in due course. I did test ride a used 19 and a new 23 Carbon last week. First of all, for me anyway, the difference in feel and handling made paying the extra for a new one worth it. Second, on the ride there I was still marveling at what a great bike the Triumph is - I just want a change and fell in love with the looks of the FTR. First impression of my short rides - the Triumph is definitely superior at higher rev ranges and higher speeds. However, up to 100mph the FTR is easily as fast and feels cheekier (technical term) doing it. I did some soul searching and admitted to myself that numbers on a piece of paper don’t impress me any more - it is great to know that a Speed Triple will conquer the FTR at Laguna Seca but for the other 99% of the time I think I fancy the FTR - decision made and report to follow.

Swampass

I've owned an SDR1290 (2016) a 2022 Speed Triple 1200 RS (2022) and 2 FTR1200s (2019 and 2022)

I LOVE the FTR1200. I think looks wise and attitude wise it's hands above the other two.
The initial hit of the FTR1200 feels like the SDR, but one you climb in revs the SDR eats its lunch. The SDR is also one of the most comfortable bikes I've owned.
The Speed Triple RS 1200 is a sport bike just with handlebars. It handles like a sport bike. Which is both good and bad. It's twitchy and sprung aggressively. The SDR felt like it had a lot of suspension travel and rode really well.

arobert3

This is very interesting as someone taking a leap of faith - in fact the decision has been taken, I am definitely going for an FTR Carbon. What I am really interested in now though is the comparison between the 19 and the 22 since I assume that one has the larger wheels and other is more road biased- which is the way I am leaning. How big of a difference did you notice.

Swampass

This is very interesting as someone taking a leap of faith - in fact the decision has been taken, I am definitely going for an FTR Carbon. What I am really interested in now though is the comparison between the 19 and the 22 since I assume that one has the larger wheels and other is more road biased- which is the way I am leaning. How big of a difference did you notice.
Very big difference IMO. Initially, I loved the idea of the original dirt tracker look of the 19 FTR but when rubber hit the road, no pun, I couldn't ride it they way I wanted to. Be it real or perceived, I always held back a fair amount of speed in reserve. The new one with the 17s, updated geometry really makes a nice difference. It's just a good sporty bike. Almost a modern day Vmax in the sense that it's about the same size as a gen 1 vmax, a 1200cc motor, but with modern suspension and brakes.

The 19 was short lived for me. I wanted to love it, just couldn't. The 22 I have now is the bike I wish I had bought before.

arobert3

That is exactly what I expected and hoped to hear. I have been quite tempted by a couple of low mileage 19 bikes that my dealer had but I rode one last week and found that I was overpowering the rear tire without trying very hard - great for showboating but not really what I want for every day. I decided to spend the extra couple of grand and just get a new one.

The larger wheels are not confidence inspiring in the right ways. After owning/riding the 1290 SA with the same size wheels and in fact a bit heavier bike with the boxes, well I dunno there's a lot more to it than just the wheel size for sure! The 1290SA is definitely far more confidence inspiring, linear, and predictable on the same size wheels as the 19 FTR 1200S.

I haven't heard one bad thing about the 22 FTR wheels though. However, FTR is a weird bike cuz tbh a lot of people don't talk about ANY of its issues at all and its confusing to me how its so highly approved of with so many attitude problems lol.

I'm looking hard at a 719 in top trim but I love my FTR so much I'm actually being a massive fanboy and refusing to even get on the new 719 to see if its a more preferential roadster to the FTR.

Swampass

The larger wheels are not confidence inspiring in the right ways. After owning/riding the 1290 SA with the same size wheels and in fact a bit heavier bike with the boxes, well I dunno there's a lot more to it than just the wheel size for sure! The 1290SA is definitely far more confidence inspiring, linear, and predictable on the same size wheels as the 19 FTR 1200S.

I haven't heard one bad thing about the 22 FTR wheels though. However, FTR is a weird bike cuz tbh a lot of people don't talk about ANY of its issues at all and its confusing to me how its so highly approved of with so many attitude problems lol.
Well, I haven't had any issues with either of my FTRs. Is it the best bike for sale today? Probably not. Motorcycles are weird for me. I buy them solely on how they look and how I feel riding them. I used to chase horsepower. That part of me is no more. I think the FTR is one of the more visually stimulating bikes. KTM is a motorcycle manufacturer that reminds me of Spinal Tap. Every bike they make is turned up to 11. I've owned a few KTMs and while I like the brand, both bikes had some issues. Nothing huge, but I played the "guess which sensor is going bad" game a time or two.

Well, I haven't had any issues with either of my FTRs. Is it the best bike for sale today? Probably not. Motorcycles are weird for me. I buy them solely on how they look and how I feel riding them. I used to chase horsepower. That part of me is no more. I think the FTR is one of the more visually stimulating bikes. KTM is a motorcycle manufacturer that reminds me of Spinal Tap. Every bike they make is turned up to 11. I've owned a few KTMs and while I like the brand, both bikes had some issues. Nothing huge, but I played the "guess which sensor is going bad" game a time or two.
Yep same reason I own an FTR and can't even give a 719 a fair chance. Just rly in love with the FTR right now... TBH if I didn't have over 22k in my FTR I would probably be on a 719 though, as I'm on the fence but the customization on my FTR wasn't cheap and I'm not done with it. I haven't even scratched the paint on the covers yet as I'm pretty OCD and detailed for a living in my youth. Not done with it until I drop it at least once, too much time and effort. That 719 has the looks and is better fueled/smoother, lighter, and has more aftermarket support though. 719 is also faster 60 ft times, traps 10mph lower than ftr but runs same if not faster quarter. Top end of course is less than FTR.

FTR rly just is unique it has weird attitude, power band, etc. Very hard to compare to anything tbh but other roadsters are closest apples to oranges of all the bad comparisons I suppose. For example, literally every person is confused by my 43t rear except other FTR owners. Almost every person is like uhhhh... you lug it? "lol no... but ah whatever its an FTR you wouldn't get it"

I found this thread interesting because TBH the 1290SA is the closest ride I've found to my FTR so far, which wouldn't even be comparable but its honestly the closest comparison, in a straight line anyway. The OP compared it to a different transmission but same motor, the 1290SA is even closer comparison than a duke cuz it has similar legs to the FTR. I'm selling the 1290SA though, so perfectly designed its perfectly boring and like you said not much to look at just another GS wanna be.

I will say the 2019 FTR 1200S is ridiculously stable for a naked that most people are scared of. It hits top gear or top power depending on your gearing just fine w/out any indication its on the edge or going to let go w/out warning. Its definitely unnerving but that keeps it interesting. I don't know how I feel about a 22FTR, honestly if I wanted smaller lighter I'd have to go 719 for all the same reasons I love the FTR minus the attitude problems. Even though the 22 got better I rly suspect the 719 might feel more refined but still be a roadster. I don't know, can't get on one cuz I might like it too much and have major buyers remorse over my FTR. Just suspect as much is all.

The third part of my motorcycle triangle is finances. I refuse to burn too much I'm just that way about it so that's the main reason I can't risk buyer's remorse until I'm rdy. I only pay cash for bikes just to put it in context of why I might feel these ways, no flex intended. The FTR evoked enough emotion to make me over spend at purchase (although I got a 19 brand new for 15.0k w/aviator seat and helmet written off, out the door in race replica s cuz I'm a financial predatory asshole by trade. flex intended) its still not actually worth the price. I will say the FTR is emotionally driven and very very much the best motorcycle at pushing the ego button. Great marketing, great design (to evoke emotion), great support via events, great heritage.... all the things we can't buy (but indian did kinda put a price on it did they not?)

Last edited:

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
That is exactly what I expected and hoped to hear. I have been quite tempted by a couple of low mileage 19 bikes that my dealer had but I rode one last week and found that I was overpowering the rear tire without trying very hard - great for showboating but not really what I want for every day. I decided to spend the extra couple of grand and just get a new one.
The stock tires on the 19 sucked. You can put t32s on the 19. I own a 19 and 22. I personally prefer the engine characteristics of the 19 vs the tamed down 22+ bikes. Handling is very similar once you put good tires on the 19

broncoguy27

It came down to the FTR or the 1290 super Duke for me. I chose the FTR because I absolutely love the way it looks, and at 52 with Young children, I don't need 187 horsepower. As I have recently moved from the icy North to Alabama, I may end up with a super Duke at some point just because I can. I don't think getting rid of the FTR will be an option though. I look forward to riding the bike, I find excuses to ride it, between its relatively lightweight, and the fact that it's so narrow, I can two up on it with my children pretty easily. It's also a very good all-rounder. It accelerates fast enough in its sweet spot to be a lot of fun to ride, it handles well enough to be exhilarating, but it also makes torque and under the speed limit which means you can have fun without losing your driver's license.
The other thing I love about the FTR is it's just a freaking motorcycle. Nobody bolted a bunch of extra plastic on it or did anything like that. It looks like my uncle's 1960 or 70 whatever Honda that he took me for my first motorcycle ride on.
The 1290 is a no holds barred fire-breathing monster European go fast bike. I've owned s1000 and the big BMW ktr16. I love them but not enough to keep paying for the maintenance.

irsh

A buddy of mine has a '19 FTR and had been harping on me about them since I traded my SDR a couple years ago. I finally relented and took a look at the new Carbon R (if I'm going down in power, at least give me Ohlins). They are a good looking bike and run pretty well, and I need a street-bike again (missing the performance of the KTM) so I'm having my dealer get one. It has big shoes to fill.

Here is my buddy's FTR and my SDR...
1702781187416.png

irsh

The New Hotness...
42 and foggy for the ride home. :p
Seems geared lower than the Duke. A little more weight, a little less power. Comfortable. Temp in the low 40's and I started it up and rode away without any fueling issues.

1703266388828.png

Last edited:

Blue1

I'm a little surprised it feels geared lower, but maybe you're right.

It is heavier, but the more upright position and wide bars lend a lot of leverage, so it is more flickable than one might suspect (but probably not as much as the Duke, do to weight advantage).

I think the FTR would clean the Duke's clock in a top gear 50 to 70mph roll.

I have a '19 Replica and a '23 Speed Triple, and I'm keeping them both, two completely different but enjoyable platforms.

Good luck with the new bike!

irsh

I'm a little surprised it feels geared lower, but maybe you're right.

It is heavier, but the more upright position and wide bars lend a lot of leverage, so it is more flickable than one might suspect (but probably not as much as the Duke, do to weight advantage).

I think the FTR would clean the Duke's clock in a top gear 50 to 70mph roll.

I have a '19 Replica and a '23 Speed Triple, and I'm keeping them both, two completely different but enjoyable platforms.

Good luck with the new bike!
That's what I mean, the Duke just lopes along. It seems more geared like a superbike than a naked. It would be fine as a 5-speed.
Do you have the SS? That bike looks amazing.

Blue1

That's what I mean, the Duke just lopes along. It seems more geared like a superbike than a naked. It would be fine as a 5-speed.
Do you have the SS? That bike looks amazing.
I think you're talking about the RR, which is the clip-on equipped version with very slightly more rear set pegs and fairing, mine is the RS, which has conventional handlebars.

Attachments

• '23 Speed Triple 7 5-25-23.jpg
    '23 Speed Triple 7 5-25-23.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 5

Peterson

Indian FTR 1200 s vs. KTM 1290r Super Duke
Two somewhat similar bikes with different personalities.

I’ve been a “Performance Based” rider for many years. I started in the 70’s with Kawasaki 2 strokes, then with many different inline four cylinder bikes over the last 40 years with a few V twins and V fours thrown in. I liked most of them, loved some of them and dislikes a few of them. I’m 60 now and I still enjoy riding aggressively with my friends on the weekends and doing a few track days a year, but I’m happier on a bike that is not a full-on race machine these days.

I’ve had a Super Duke since 2015 and I love it. It is a bike that gives confidence to everyone I know who has ridden one. It has a high strung V twin that with a pipe and a dyno tune delivers 160 HP at the rear wheel. It is upright and comfortable on 300 mile rides but aggressive enough to blast around the track. Its power band is not completely linear though. It is unhappy until you get it over 4500 rpm’s then it pulls hard until you bounce it of the rev limiter at around 8500 rpm’s. It does many things well but in my opinion, it lacks character in some ways. I’m not in love with its styling. The first time I saw one it reminded me of a plastic power tool. Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure many people love its looks. I’m just not crazy about the sharp angles, lightening bolt like graphics and the neon orange color KTM uses. The Super Duke is a great all-around street bike and not a bad track bike. (My Super Duke is a 1st generation. I’m sure there are many improvements to the current one).

I got my FTR s about a month ago and I love it. I love it for many of the same reasons I love the Super Duke. The two bikes have many similarities. Both have a big V twins, both have trellis frames, both deliver good handling and both are comfortable enough to ride long distances. The FTR’s motor is a stomping V twin that is as happy at High RPM’s as it is a Low RPM’s. It pulls well from 2500 RPM’s up to 4200 RPM’s then it pulls hard to 9000 RPM’s. The power band is long and even. It has a claimed 120 HP and I would say it’s all that and maybe a little more. The electronic dash and its integrated controls on the handle bars for scrolling through its functions and displays are hands down the best I’ve ever seen. It functions perfectly with my Android phone and my Sena head set. My favorite thing about the FTR is its styling. It is really a beautiful bike to look at. The color of the frame is exactly the same red as my older brother’s 1947 chief’s tank and fenders wear. It has dozens of little details that make it look like a vintage American motorcycle but at the same time it looks like a bike that can deliver high performance. It does have some flaws. The long wheel base (60”) puzzles me. It seems unnecessary. I’m sure they wanted the bike to be stable but my Hayabusa has a shorter wheelbase. As long as it is, it still turns in quick enough to be fun in the twisties and I have no problem keeping up with my friends on sport bikes. The other thing that bothers me is the 19” front wheel and 18” rear. It is difficult to find good rubber for those sizes (Pirelli Scorpion Trail II Dual Sport Tires are working out much better than the stock Dunlop’s). I understand that they wear trying to give the bike a classic look but I would have gone with 17” wheels anyway. All in all, I think the FTR has a rare balance of looks, performance and a type of soul rarely found in a modern motorcycle. It draws a crowd when I stop at the local bike spots and I enjoy just looking at it.
well written - imho(!!!) they're hard to compare. Not so of power reasons - the diff is well about 60hp, with the new Super Duke in the 190s even bigger, but that's not so my problem with comparison. The way they ride is pretty different! The Duke shows you that she´s got power, you always see it, you feel it but you are not forced to use it. Like a strong, but calm Rottweiler.
The FTR is more the itchy Belgian Malinois Shepherd Dog: always 110% alert, always on the watch, hardly ever resting. So if you wanna do a relaxed cruise, you constantly feel the bikes need and you constantly and actively have to rein her in. my opinion.