Instrument cluster conections

Rich.ftr

I was replacing my bars on the ftr1200 base model to a flatter bar and while removing the instrument ( single analog dial) cluster i noticed one of the 2 smaller type usb plugs had been blanked off with a end cap and left un connected.

I tried pluging this in and turned on the ignition nervously hoping not to short anything. My hope was that it would provide some hidden menu options like gear selection or riding modes.

My question is does any one know what this plug is for?

New zealand modelScreenshot_2021-08-01-07-45-47.png

The manual extract discribes connect both usb connections and the instrument main plug.

Thank you.

Photos for reference

Screenshot_2021-08-01-07-45-47.png

Attachments

• 1627762076199128077405.jpg
    1627762076199128077405.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 15
  • 16277621590091522951154.jpg
    16277621590091522951154.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 15

mtFTRnh

I’d like to know more about this too as I’m looking for an easy way to charge or power a GPS unit. It’d be great to tap into some juice here without running wires to the battery or fuse box.

I have a service appointment this week and I’ve already asked the dealer to learn what they can about these connectors. I’ll pass along what I learn later this week.

K9F

I’d like to know more about this too as I’m looking for an easy way to charge or power a GPS unit. It’d be great to tap into some juice here without running wires to the battery or fuse box.

I think Staedtler is correct the only connector I am aware of is indeed for heated grips?

No need to over-complicate this hopefully?

You should already have an SAE tender connector pigtail under the left hand fuse cover on the bike, it may be hidden wrapped in tape? I simply bought an SAE extended lead heatshrunk it and extended it to the left hand side of the front of the seat. On longer journeys with an SAE to double USB adapter I can keep my phone/Sena/GPS charged on the go without worrying about them dying on me. The SAE extended lead can be routed and ran to where you wish on the bike naturally.

Shown on diagram below.

1627827175283.png

Tucks into the seat when not in use and attached to a tender at home.

IMG_1885.jpg

Last edited:

Charliemurphay

I was replacing my bars on the ftr1200 base model to a flatter bar and while removing the instrument ( single analog dial) cluster i noticed one of the 2 smaller type usb plugs had been blanked off with a end cap and left un connected.

I tried pluging this in and turned on the ignition nervously hoping not to short anything. My hope was that it would provide some hidden menu options like gear selection or riding modes.

My question is does any one know what this plug is for?

New zealand modelView attachment 4137

The manual extract discribes connect both usb connections and the instrument main plug.

Thank you.

Photos for reference

View attachment 4137
My understanding is that there are two connectors for the USB port. One is a data connection for connecting to the ride command display (if installed) the other is power connection for charging devices from the USB port. Both should be plugged in though since you don’t have the Ride Command display the data connection won’t be of much use. It is used for software updates to the display as well as music control through the display. The data connection may remain unplugged on the analog gauge units as it wouldn’t have much if any use.

mtFTRnh

I can confirm there are two connectors for what looks like an optional USB port on my base model. They are hidden inside a rubber plug in the drivers side of the instrument cluster.

Any thoughts on how to tap into the one connector that has power? And would it supply a full 12-volts…or is it damped down for the USB?

K9F

The first link above appears to be a different part number to the second and I am unsure why it is also $40 cheaper? You need the whole assembly (the lead as well) which is Ferraiolo's second link. First link part number 2885161 depicts the port only and not the lead. Second link part number 2414669 in the instructions depicts the lead and the port.

Item 6 below.

A few cents off $88:00

The USB supply is a common spliced ignition supply that also supplies headlight, tail light, ignition, left and right controls and speedo switched power (there is also another constant power feed to the speedo), the tender one is a standalone that is protected by a 10 amp fuse and the CanBus will not expect any given return value to keep it happy and it is a damn sight cheaper than $88:00 if the 'plug and play' actually works? Mine wouldn't charge my phone or GPS and threw error messages so I binned the idea. Haven't checked again since software update but don't need to anyway.

Taking into account the issues people have experienced with even a simple task of changing indicators/lighting and as previously mentioned the bike is CanBus it is not advisable to 'tap into' any connectors.

Last edited:

Rich.ftr

My understanding is that there are two connectors for the USB port. One is a data connection for connecting to the ride command display (if installed) the other is power connection for charging devices from the USB port. Both should be plugged in though since you don’t have the Ride Command display the data connection won’t be of much use. It is used for software updates to the display as well as music control through the display. The data connection may remain unplugged on the analog gauge units as it wouldn’t have much if any use.
Hi thanks... Ive not yet used the left of dial usb port with my phone to find out if it has power.. But yes this crossed my mind as the manual states both small plugs should be connected behind the instrument dial..

I also though heated grips for optioned models..?

Kind regards
Rich

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
Yes. You can buy heated grips for the ftr from Indian. They plug into one of the plugs behind the headlight.

Rich.ftr

Cool.. I think you found the answer.. If i plugged in the phone to the usb port my bet is it has no power to charge phone currently.
Ill try this this evening.

Charliemurphay

Oh ... So the 2nd plug is for a redundant heated grip option and the other small connector that is plugged in is for the usb port!
The heated grips plug isn’t behind the cluster, it’s a larger plug down behind the headlight. Separate harness.

Rich.ftr

That makes more sense at there is a female socket for the 2nd plug tucket up high behind the instrument cluster face...

But on my bike definitely and deliberately blanked off with an end cap... As this would and does plug into the terminal wiring from the instrument cluster i woundered what addition purpose it serves?

Rich.ftr

Screenshot_2021-08-04-14-46-19.pngthank you... I missed the usb link... I agree with your 1st suggestion that its will be an un plugged usb connection.. Ididnt get to check if mine is working last night as our kids were a bit sick( ok now) but ill give it a try tonight. A very easy fix to re connect. Cheers , many thanks for your imput.

ps the connection appears to be no 6 on the usb module as per the image above.

Rich.ftr

The heated grips plug isn’t behind the cluster, it’s a larger plug down behind the headlight. Separate harness.
I just plugged into tbe usb and i do have power from it ( pls see red light on blanket) yet one of the small connectors behind the clock remains unplugged? So maybe it is the optional heated grip plug.....? This seams like a strange place to put it! As you said is supposedly its behing the headlight.

All my instrument info seams to work correctly ie cruise control, High beam etc20210804_215211.jpg and menus on the digital display.

Rich.ftr

Hi.. Not to my knowledge.. That seams to be behind the headlight somewhere ( useful posts from other members ) the connection i refer to is high up under the back of the instrument clock . it also has a recipient but the mail postion has an end cap fitted from factory i guess. But in that manual is described plug both in and the larger instrument wiring harness plug.

Its got me stumped as to why its there at all.

Best regards to all.

ferraiolo1

2021-2024 IMR Ambassador
Staff member
could be part of the larger display harness. as the large display will plug into the base.

But you need a ecu flash to make it work.